Offensive Coordinator

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
The school could put a monkey in the teachers desk with a bell in front of him.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso, you have been hanging out in high schools!!

Your argument might work against some other posts of mine, as parody at least, but not against the one you responded to. It clearly gives a positive role to coaches, and only disagrees with your assertion that the old are not quick-witted.

You and I may not be, but we're not ALL the old guys in the world.

Beeware, I'm sure there are a lot of things we agree on. But your obsession with insulting our coaching staff, which started before they even made it to campus, isn't one of them.

ahsoisee, that's a different debate I think. I could make just as strong of a case that big businesses offer early retirement to older employees because they are more expensive than younger, cheaper ones. I see it in sales organizations all the time.

SOME older people get set in their ways. SOME younger ones are just as bad. SOME older people can communicate and motivate teenagers quite well. My point is not that we should hire someone older, just that we should hire someone with experience. They aren't necessarily the same thing. Generalities have validity when looked at over a population. But we aren't hiring a generality we're hiring one man. And I don't care about his demographics as long as he can coach.

NCjacket, I don't know how you came up with the idea that you should not look at the person himself instead of the age. I think I made it clear in my answer to another poster about Painter.

I would definitely consider a person's age when making my decision on a coach, but it would not be the only criteria involved. If I thought a coach was near his max and would be soon digressing, there is no way I would hire him in a position at Tech at present.

However, if there was an older coach with great qualifications for the job, I would interview him and then make my decision after the interview. If I had two good coaches equally qualified for the job, and one was much older, I would probably choose the younger if he impressed me in the interview.

It is true the companies lop off the high paying salaries and hire new employees at a smaller salary, but that is only part of the equation. It is equally true that the younger employees are more willing to learn new techniques and adapt better than most of the older employees.

wink.gif

As somebody on the Hive posted, young coordinators was GO'L's preference after Fridge left. The result was Roof and BO'B, arguably not ready for prime time. The really critical quick-thinking decisions are made by players, not on the sidelines anyway, don't you think? Coaches make quick decisions, but not instant ones. What players need is the self-confidence to make those instant decisions, and a coach, regardless of his elderliness, can help with that.

Back