Official argue about the old coach thread

Did Collins inherit a team with anyone like Morgan Burnett, Vance Walker, Derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson, Demaryous Thomas, Lucas Cox, Jonathan Dwyer, Roddy Jones, Josh Nesbitt?

We definitely don't have the DL that Johnson inherited; on offense we probably have better than what Johnson inherited. DT was special; but I would take Mason, Smith, Graham, Yates, and Oliver; over Dwyer, Jones, Cox, & Nesbitt.

For an example of what you are talking about: The new coach has people giving up on his entire tenure for losing to NIU 22-21 to open year 3. I didn't even begin to withdraw my support for the old coach until he lost 49-38 to USF to open year 11.

People really like to act like we never had losses (MTSU, USF) and near misses (GW, GaSou) against directional schools under the former coach.
Meh, that’s not unique to Collins. Fans overreact - that’s what they do. There are fans on this board who gave up on Pastner after bad losses that hate him so much they are incapable of appreciating an ACC championship. There are absolutely people who gave up on CPJ after the MTSU debacle (despite the fact that they were a bowl team) that continued to complain throughout the 2014 season.

I really enjoyed CPJ’s tenure. It was my favorite as a GT fan, by far. That being said, I’m glad he retired when he did. We weren’t getting back to 2014 days again.

Marshall was a killer. He would have great games where he did what he was coached (staying close to the line). Then he would fall back into bad habits like arching along the line to get more time on the read, but it would jack up the spacing taking the a back out of the play. Jekyll and Hyde from game to game.
Would you attend the SEC championship with uga after losing to them?

Duke is one of the hardest places to play in the league. Said never by CPJ......
Yeah right.

CPJ would always say Duke was a tough place to play because no one was there so it was hard for his guys to “get up” for the game.

We definitely don't have the DL that Johnson inherited; on offense we probably have better than what Johnson inherited. DT was special; but I would take Mason, Smith, Graham, Yates, and Oliver; over Dwyer, Jones, Cox, & Nesbitt.
This just solidified you as the dumbest poster on here…for now. Got damn that was the most stupid opinion I’ve ever heard. No offense.

Dodd had some great years; but the state he left GT in was worse than anything you can bitch at CPJ about, and it is not even close.
You've reached new jock sniffing levels this board has never seen . Honestly tell me how you became a Tech fan. Dodd had "some" great years?

6A3D87C6-6492-456C-9DAA-FC61B93A58E9.gif

This just solidified you as the dumbest poster on here…for now. Got damn that was the most stupid opinion I’ve ever heard. No offense.

Sure it was stupid. In our current offense Lucas Cox never sees the field, we don't use a blocking back and he would not be a good convert to TE. Nesbitt would have gotten moved to Safety like TO was and we'd be complaining about his coverage skills. Who out of Gibbs, Mason, Smith & Griffin do you think Roddy Jones displaces? I don't even think Griffin has seen the field the past 2 games and neither would Jones. Dwyer would get playing time but nothing close to 1300 yards a season.

I don't see Pnope taking that 2008 roster and doing anything with it.

Last edited:
You've reached new jock sniffing levels this board has never seen . Honestly tell me how you became a Tech fan. Dodd had "some" great years?

Dodd had some great years as a coach; but his pulling us out of the SEC was the most short sighted and stupid thing that ever happened to GT football and we are still are trying to recover from it. Dodd nearly killed the GT athletic program and left the place in such a shambles we should build a statue to Homer Rice for pulling us out of the landfill we had become.

For you guys who like to talk about historic rebuilds, you should go back and study what Dodd left Homer Rice and what Rice did with it.

Last edited:
CPJ had to go not because of the offense but the defense. It’s kind of crazy that most discussions about his tenure here devolve into arguments about his offense, but even if there was nothing wrong with the offense, the terrible defenses we had under him made his head coaching untenable. And I doubt any other head coach has had as many defensive coordinators as CPJ did in a 10 year span, with all sorts of pedigrees, and none of them were successful under him (even if most were successful as Defensive coaches in other schools).

For the first few years his offense was so good that we could paper over the defensive issues (first because he truly had some of the best offensive players Tech had ever seen, inherited from Gailey and then because he had good players playing really well together with great leadership).

However, even once we got the personnel issues sorted out, the offense wasn’t gonna do well going forward because of rule changes. 2 rule changes meant that the offense had to decline. Changes in blocking on the perimeter meant that our WRs could not block out corners to open up lanes the way they could at the beginning of CPJ’s tenure at Tech. In addition to that, changes in downfield blocking rules meant that the advantage cut blocks gave us (allowing the Olinemen to go downfield and clear out secondary defenders) was basically eliminated making his strategy of lighter and nimbler Olinemen unviable. And it meant that what used to be 20-80 yard runs were reduced to 10-15 yard runs at best, increasing the number of plays to score furthering the impact of turnovers, negative plays and penalties.

We recruited the three best offensive players we have - Gibbs and Sims from HS, McGowan from the portal. We had nothing comparable on the squad prior.

CPJ had to go not because of the offense but the defense. It’s kind of crazy that most discussions about his tenure here devolve into arguments about his offense, but even if there was nothing wrong with the offense, the terrible defenses we had under him made his head coaching untenable. And I doubt any other head coach has had as many defensive coordinators as CPJ did in a 10 year span, with all sorts of pedigrees, and none of them were successful under him (even if most were successful as Defensive coaches in other schools).

For the first few years his offense was so good that we could paper over the defensive issues (first because he truly had some of the best offensive players Tech had ever seen, inherited from Gailey and then because he had good players playing really well together with great leadership).

However, even once we got the personnel issues sorted out, the offense wasn’t gonna do well going forward because of rule changes. 2 rule changes meant that the offense had to decline. Changes in blocking on the perimeter meant that our WRs could not block out corners to open up lanes the way they could at the beginning of CPJ’s tenure at Tech. In addition to that, changes in downfield blocking rules meant that the advantage cut blocks gave us (allowing the Olinemen to go downfield and clear out secondary defenders) was basically eliminated making his strategy of lighter and nimbler Olinemen unviable. And it meant that what used to be 20-80 yard runs were reduced to 10-15 yard runs at best, increasing the number of plays to score furthering the impact of turnovers, negative plays and penalties.
Never understood why we didn't attempt to keep Tenuta.
Strange thing about Tenuta is I always figured he'd end up the DC at a factory school like Ohio State (he grew up in Columbus as an OSU fan) or Penn State or Oklahoma or similar. He just never made the leap. Personality? Maybe he is just too type A for any coach other than Chan to put up with him.

Never understood why we didn't attempt to keep Tenuta.
Strange thing about Tenuta is I always figured he'd end up the DC at a factory school like Ohio State (he grew up in Columbus as an OSU fan) or Penn State or Oklahoma or similar. He just never made the leap. Personality? Maybe he is just too type A for any coach other than Chan to put up with him.

IIRC there was an effort made to retain Tenuta, but Tenuta was butt-hurt over not getting the head coach job himself and chose to go.

He ended up at Notre Dame for a few years so I think that qualifies as factory level.

In an effort to clean up all football threads going forward, keep arguments about the old coach here.

Feel free to argue about the current staff elsewhere.

Like/hate the old offense -> here
Like/hate new offense -> elsewhere
Old coach + older coach’s players -> here
Hypotheticals old coach + new players -> here
Post of the year if effective IMO

holy öööö you are an absolute idiot. Dwyer is better than Mason, Smith, Graham, Yates, and Oliver by himself. Dwyer was probably single-handedly responsible for 3-4 wins in 08. We even lose to Garder-Webb without him.

You cannot seriously be this dumb.

Back