Official: Check in here to eat your CGC support crow

This is a load of bullshit, and it's the same load of bullshit that gets pulled from whenever people around here want a head coach fired. So you were willing to grant the first two years of being a bad football team, but now five games into a 12 game season, it's the "consistency" that demonstrates to you that Collins can't cut it?

I would say consistency was a big concern the first two years but people were willing to cut him slack because it was such a big transition. The lack of consistency in season 3 is a much more real problem, and we have definitely been inconsistent these five games.

I'm not saying he can't cut it, but I am saying I don't approve of his performance so far. Keeping us within 14 of Pitt would've been enough to keep me at approve, but going out and looking so bad in so many phases of the game one week after playing so well is just not a good job by the coaching staff.

Even despite the bad outcome of yesterday’s game I see marked improvement from last year and the year prior. In Collins’ first two years we were having trouble moving the ball at all. There were a ton of 3 and outs. Other than the Clemson game, that hasn’t been the case. We are now down to mostly red zone/scoring issues with inconsistency in blocking/pass pro issues and still some head scratching play calls (and that may be the result of inconsistent execution issues). But we are moving the ball this year.

Defensively, I thought we had turned the corner until yesterday. The secondary was terrible and that was driven in large part by 2 players who got a lot of attention from Pickett and sucked.

we have also seemed to get a handle on discipline with much less in the way of dumb ass penalties that make you want to throw stuff.

So to;dr - we are progressing but not as quick as I or many others think we should be.

I have less than zero interest in going back and forth with you. You're making excuses for our opponents and claiming that it's never our success, it's our opponent's failure. That's a truly sad state for a fan of any team to exist in and I ööööing pity you. Even during rebuilding years, the one and only thing you give a öööö about is the win-loss record, which means you have no grasp of, nor interest in the program rebuilding. You expect some mythical coach to say all the right things about rebuilding over time, but then to shock the world with an impossible meteoric rise from which the program never comes down. You just said that the story of year 3 is already over with and you 'don't know how or why it happens' but you know the future and the outcome is that Geoff Collins broke some promise he apparently made to you about conquering the world in his third season.

The facts don't support your claim that nothing is improving and there has been no progress, and you ööööing know it, so why would I waste any more time trying to teach you something you already know but willfully ignore?
You’re right we are beating FCS teams now. That is improvement. We all know if we played Miami and Georgia last season we would’ve won so yeah improvement in W-L total as well from Year 1 to Year 2. Good points. Solid objective data that refutes the fact that our RPI, F+ #’s, and FPI (which takes recruiting into account) are virtually unchanged Year to Year with our current years being held up by UNC win for now.

I want Collins to be very successful, but he shows no ability to prepare and execute his role on Gameday. None.

I think I get worked up about it because he is in some ways the epitome of a culture that glorifies the extrovert, is completely self-absorbed to the point of no true self-reflection/correction, praises effort over results, and has no substance. If that’s the culture he’s bringing to GT when he talks about culture I want no part of it.

I want Collins to be very successful, but he shows no ability to prepare and execute his role on Gameday. None.
Honest question: what do you believe his role on gameday is? Please avoid vagueries like "PrEpArE tHe TeAm To WiN!!11!"

Honest question: what do you believe his role on gameday is? Please avoid vagueries like "PrEpArE tHe TeAm To WiN!!11!"
Oversee overall strategy and adjustments to it.
Correct glaring issues by the players.
Appeal to officials.
Timeout useage.
Decisions on when to go for it, kick, onside kick etc.
motivate and inspire confidence in the team.

same question to you.

Oversee overall strategy and adjustments to it.
Correct glaring issues by the players.
Appeal to officials.
Timeout useage.
Decisions on when to go for it, kick, onside kick etc.
motivate and inspire confidence in the team.

same question to you.
I believe he's there to boost team morale on field and in the locker room, and call timeouts when the respective teams can't get plays in on time. He also makes 4th down decisions, but likely not the plays themselves. That's it.

As far as overall strategy, can you give an example of such a scenario and why he failed at it? This is one of those vagueries I wanted you to avoid using. He's not doubling as an OC or DC like Paul Johnson or Manny Diaz to be responsible for "adjustments"

Correct glaring issues? So the head coach is supposed to know proper technique for every position group to the point of teaching it? What is he supposed to say when 5th year seniors like Tariq just get beat? "Hey don't be two yards behind the receiver next time"

Appeal to officials? Right, in future coaches we need to make sure he has enough charisma points to woo officials. Needs to be on the job description.

The rest sounds about right.

Why does a coach wear a headset if not to provide input and oversight to the play callers? It’s not vaguery. It’s his job. The Head Coach can and does drive adjustments. At least one who actually knows strategy. Having such a head coach isn’t just a different style it’s a positive.

Yes. The head coach should greet a player coming off the sideline after a glaring error and correct it. I would not consider nuanced techniques to be glaring errors. I would call completely whiffed blocks, dumb penalties, costly mistakes, etc glaring errors that need at least some kind of meeting with the boss. Similar to what would happen at any job.

Working the officials is a head coach’s job. He’s pretty much the only one allowed to talk to them on a regular basis. That’s just the game as it is today.

Why does a coach wear a headset if not to provide input and oversight to the play callers? It’s not vaguery. It’s his job. The Head Coach can and does drive adjustments. At least one who actually knows strategy. Having such a head coach isn’t just a different style it’s a positive.

Yes. The head coach should greet a player coming off the sideline after a glaring error and correct it. I would not consider nuanced techniques to be glaring errors. I would call completely whiffed blocks, dumb penalties, costly mistakes, etc glaring errors that need at least some kind of meeting with the boss. Similar to what would happen at any job.

Working the officials is a head coach’s job. He’s pretty much the only one allowed to talk to them on a regular basis. That’s just the game as it is today.

It's clear we have different ideas of what the head coach should be responsible for. You believe a head coach should be familiar with every role under him and be able to step in where necessary whether in teaching moments or gameday adjustments. I don't think this is a reasonable requirement to be the head coach, and taking that responsibility actually meddles with the subject matter experts paid to handle those.

I support the team and our coach. Take your "eat crow" about supporting both or either and shove it up your ass.

It's clear we have different ideas of what the head coach should be responsible for. You believe a head coach should be familiar with every role under him and be able to step in where necessary whether in teaching moments or gameday adjustments. I don't think this is a reasonable requirement to be the head coach, and taking that responsibility actually meddles with the subject matter experts paid to handle those.
Yeah. We have vastly different perspectives on the head coach’s responsibility. Especially given the salary difference between him and his SME’s.

In Collins’ first two years we were having trouble moving the ball at all. There were a ton of 3 and outs. Other than the Clemson game, that hasn’t been the case.
I decided to put numbers to this statement. I eliminated the FCS games.

In Year 1 we averaged about 4-4.5 3 and outs a game excluding UGA where we had 11

In Year 2 we averaged about 3.

min Year 3 we are averaging about 4 so far.

I decided to put numbers to this statement. I eliminated the FCS games.

In Year 1 we averaged about 4-4.5 3 and outs a game excluding UGA where we had 11

In Year 2 we averaged about 3.

min Year 3 we are averaging about 4 so far.
And that number should go down soon. Clemson, unc, and Pitt are three of the better defenses we will face in terms of conference play. NIU was clearly a cluster.

This is a load of bullshit, and it's the same load of bullshit that gets pulled from whenever people around here want a head coach fired. So you were willing to grant the first two years of being a bad football team, but now five games into a 12 game season, it's the "consistency" that demonstrates to you that Collins can't cut it?

We lost our first game by 1 point against a bad team, in the opener, with Sims going down early. Sims, who nobody on this ööööing ööööhole can decide from one minute to the next whether he needs to be benched or he's the future of the offense or the next dalai ööööing lama. Those of you who watched that game and believed it was as bad or worse than the team we fielded last year were so blinded by your ridiculous ööööing rage that you didn't see a goddamn thing other than how embarrassed you personally were that your football team lost to NIU.

We played well and beat the öööö out of a team we were supposed to beat the öööö out of in week 2. In week 3 we played a Clemson team which beat us 73-3 last year and which, relatively-down year or not, not one ööööing soul on this board or elsewhere believed we had a chance to hang with, and yet we did, in their house. Not only did we hang with them, but the team's fight - which is just as easily attributable to the coaching staff as anything else you people want to hang on them - gave us opportunities to win the game. Our guys made that happen, Clemson didn't just ööööing lay down, and if that's what you think you're a bigger ööööing loser than Collins has ever been.

In week 4, we played lights out and beat the öööö out of North Carolina despite one of the most obscenely bad and lopsided attempts at officiating a game you'll ever see. Suddenly you manic depressive öööös decided we'd locked up the goddamn Coastal and so now that was apparently the bar for success in 2021.

Today, in week 5, we had a really unfortunate start with a couple of plays that were equal parts bad luck and poor play (at worst, not that it stopped any of you aching pussies from figuring out some way to blame Sims for a pick he threw when he got ööööing rocked mid-throw) and then got run away from by a team which is plainly a very good football team. But since they have a single 44-41 loss to Western Michigan and they're not in the goddamn top five, that doesn't make any difference to you dumbasses - it's never that the other team is worth a öööö, it's that we can't play for öööö and that's the fault of the coaches and if we don't fire them yesterday and hire god-ööööing-knows-who then the program has embraced mediocrity and you knew it all along.

Answer me, honest to ööööing God, do you actually believe that what we've seen so far this season is the same quality play that we saw in year 1, the season where we lost to The Citadel? Anyone who believes that are the only people who might be dumber than I am for wasting the time it took to write this öööö. We were absolute ööööing dog öööö last year, and yet anyone who was actually paying attention saw that there were improvements by season's end, even if they provided little or no consolation for the rest of how terrible we were. Anyone who is actually paying attention can see that we are a better team, playing better this year than we have in the last two seasons.

So it's not the stunning 10-win season you secretly knew you would demand it to be if this coach was worth a öööö. Boo ööööing hoo. The team was garbage when Collins got here. It's getting better and the loss today doesn't change that, no more than any single win the rest of this season will magically mean that Collins is a genius and he's leading us directly to the promised land. The point is that we don't know yet whether he's going to turn us into the program we want to be, and you don't get any special points later for pretending you do know now. Those of you who aren't trolling and are still saying öööö like this need to grow the öööö up, or just stop watching the games if your inability to will us to glory through the brilliance of your second-guessing drivel on StingTalk is making you so goddamn miserable.
Argue1.jpg

So we beat a top 25 team for the first time in ages and we have dolts on this message board who will argue that there's been no improvement. There's been marked improvement in a ton of areas and if you can't see it then I don't know what to say besides your football acumen is incredibly low.

So I'm going to let the rest of the season play out before making too many assumptions. Yesterday was a bad loss but Pitt is a better football team. They owned both lines of scrimmage and it wasn't even really close. Pitt maybe playing for the ACC championship. Until CGC can get his recruits on both sides of the line we are going to be a mediocre football team.

Next question for op is "were you this frustrated with CGC last Saturday night?" I'm betting you were real quiet.

So we beat a top 25 team for the first time in ages and we have dolts on this message board who will argue that there's been no improvement. There's been marked improvement in a ton of areas and if you can't see it then I don't know what to say besides your football acumen is incredibly low.

So I'm going to let the rest of the season play out before making too many assumptions. Yesterday was a bad loss but Pitt is a better football team. They owned both lines of scrimmage and it wasn't even really close. Pitt maybe playing for the ACC championship. Until CGC can get his recruits on both sides of the line we are going to be a mediocre football team.

Next question for op is "were you this frustrated with CGC last Saturday night?" I'm betting you were real quiet.

The biggest thing is seeing the rest play out. In our next 5 games we play 3 that are Absolutely worse teams than Pitt (who still could lose to them cause ACC coastal) and 2 that might be worse. Could even argue ND is also in that 2nd category these days.

Because I think the HC is doing what we hired him to do. He is recruiting.

We hired CGC to get bodies.

Being able to change coordinators is a feature of the system. It is cheaper that swapping head coaches.

Now, if CGC consistently gets poor coordinators or staff, then you swap him. But that is no closer than 2.5 seasons away. And it would require him to miss on both OC or DC probably 3 times.

You can swap coordinators and maintain some stability that benefits recruiting, but my observation is that this tends to be the case when coordinators are getting hired away, not dismissed.

Explicitly because recruiting is trending the right way and the players' families seem to love these coaches, I think anything but a 3-9 finish gets the staff into 2022 intact. 2022 will be the make or break year for most of them, including CGC.

Back