Official Game Day Thread - GT vs. Clemp Son's

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
I can think of two things:

1) There were three minutes left and we had three timeouts. With a 3-and-out we could have gotten the ball back with over two minutes left. But since we needed two scores that probably wasn't such a good idea.

2) He was supposed to pooch it past the first line but before the return man and he just kicked it too far.
I think #2 was actually the plan on that kick

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
If Marshall has a repeat performance against VT, I hope PJ is willing to pull the trigger sooner.

jdubjacket

Dodd-Like
Yeah but SU was in it when he went out. They kept it close.

When we are outmatched at the line we don't really have any other gameplans to work around it. And we just keep running into a brick wall. I feel like we're better than Syracuse.
It's pretty simple: Venables knows how to defend the option and CPJ can't adjust to his defensive schemes.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Yeah but SU was in it when he went out. They kept it close.

When we are outmatched at the line we don't really have any other gameplans to work around it. And we just keep running into a brick wall. I feel like we're better than Syracuse.
I don't know how you gameplan for being outmatched at the line

Reactions: eg1

aeromech

Dodd-Like
It's pretty simple: Venables knows how to defend the option and CPJ can't adjust to his defensive schemes.
If the key to defending the option is to outmatch the line of scrimmage while having fast athletes that can get to corner quickly, then Venables is a genius.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
When the QB is missing reads or just flat out making poor decisions it makes the blocking look worse than it was. Marshall had a really bad game
Agree here.

We were getting our manhood taken at times upfront. when we did have something there, Marshall öööö his pants.

GTMensLax&SoccerD1Soon!

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how you gameplan for being outmatched at the line
Teams do it all the time. Ask Syracuse.

Quick slants and screens are both ways of overcoming that. Set up draw plays for runs. Clear out linebackers and secondaries with tight ends, multiple receivers and slot guys running routes. Do whatever you can to move the point of attack from the other teams front four. None of those things are in our repertoire.

jdubjacket

Dodd-Like
Teams do it all the time. Ask Syracuse.

Quick slants and screens are both ways of overcoming that. Set up draw plays for runs. Clear out linebackers and secondaries with tight ends, multiple receivers and slot guys running routes. Do whatever you can to move the point of attack from the other teams front four. None of those things are in our repertoire.
IMO that's CPJ's biggest weakness. It's obvious when the other team has it figured out, and we really have nothing else to go to. No quick passing game, slants, screens etc. Just more of the same.