Official Gameday GT v UNC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so rugby style kickers are never able to be roughed? You guys want to make up any more rules or events?

The punter picked up the ball and tried to punt. His kicking leg was demolished. Textbook roughing. And it happens more than you think.

Should've been roughing the kicker. Bullshit refs costing us this game. Having it stolen in broad daylight.

I dont know the exact rules on this, but if the punter scrambles with the ball I believe he is fair game. The D has to be allowed to touch the punter after a muff or a scramble to protect against him taking off and running it.

Everyone stop complaining about the refs. Grow some balls. The game is ours to take if we play our game and stop F'ing around.

I dont know the exact rules on this, but if the punter scrambles with the ball I believe he is fair game. The D has to be allowed to touch the punter after a muff or a scramble to protect against him taking off and running it.

Everyone stop complaining about the refs. Grow some balls. The game is ours to take if we play our game and stop F'ing around.

Well you're wrong but ok. I'll stop complaining that the refs missed our punter getting mauled and ejected our best dlineman for hitting the QB hard. Also letting them fumble it forward.

so rugby style kickers are never able to be roughed? You guys want to make up any more rules or events?

The punter picked up the ball and tried to punt. His kicking leg was demolished. Textbook roughing. And it happens more than you think.

He muffed it so he was fair game after that.

Posted by a ref:

"A rule of thumb we use is : If the defender was trying to tackle the scrambling kicker = no foul because he didn't think he was going to kick it. If the defender was trying to block the kick, misses the ball but not the kicker = foul because he knew he was."

Therefore, sounds like a judgment call especially in the Rodwell situation today.

It seems a little disingenuous to use players that never played in the ACC in the middle of an ACC commercial.

Posted by a ref:

"A rule of thumb we use is : If the defender was trying to tackle the scrambling kicker = no foul because he didn't think he was going to kick it. If the defender was trying to block the kick, misses the ball but not the kicker = foul because he knew he was."

Therefore, sounds like a judgment call especially in the Rodwell situation today.

Well I can't blame the ref for not knowing the rules I guess. Not to mention the UNC player was trying to block the kick.

Well you're wrong but ok. I'll stop complaining that the refs missed our punter getting mauled and ejected our best dlineman for hitting the QB hard. Also letting them fumble it forward.

The dlineman was ejected for really obvious helmet to helmet contact. It was not intentional, but the rule makes no mention of intention and many people have been ejected on similar hits before. It's a BS rule, but the refs called it right.

On the kicker thing, I think you are right that a rugby style punter can never be roughed, unless it's a late hit or some similar type of foul that applies to all players. Here is the pertinent rule from the rulebook:

Rule 9-1-4-a-5-b: The kicker’s protection under this rule ends when he carries the ball outside the tackle box before kicking.

I'm not sure if our kicker got outside of the tackle box. My initial reaction was the same as yours (asking about roughing), but maybe he did move outside the tackle box.

It's really lame to try to negate bad plays of ours by crying about after the fact officiating. We muffed the snap. The ref didnt cause that. Stop whining for the refs to bail us out of our own horrible play.

UNC fumbled after gaining 10+ yards in a drive where they rammed it down our throat. 5 yards after the fumble didnt change anything.

The Gotsis ejection was questionable but not the reason we just gifted UNC another possession at midfield with 1 minute left.

Save the crying about refs. It reeks of external locus of control.

The targeting rule as applied to Gotsis involves a defenseless player. How is the QB in the pocket a defenseless player unless we are playing touch football now.

The targeting rule involves a defenseless player. How is the QB in the pocket a defenseless player unless we are playing touch football now.

By rule, the QB is a defenseless player when he is throwing from the pocket.

What in the actual öööö. The refs are being a little unbalanced here. I usually don't bitch about the refs, but come on!

The targeting rule as applied to Gotsis involves a defenseless player. How is the QB in the pocket a defenseless player unless we are playing touch football now.

By rule, the QB is a defenseless player when he is throwing from the pocket.

The second change is designed to protect a defenseless quarterback in the pocket. Defensive players can no longer hit a quarterback below the knees when he is in the passing motion.

Since targeting the head is also illegal, tacklers will be restricted to a specific area of contact.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-college-football-rule-changes-20140716-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back