Official Gameday Thread: Pitt edition

Coach is absolutely right. Without the turnovers Tech absolutely would've hung 50 on Pitt today.

Today's performance by the O-line was another savage physical beat down of an opponent just like the Tennessee game. When the B-back doesn't get touched until he's already in a crease 3-4 yards down the field on the dive, you've got no chance against Georgia Tech unless they decide to blow their foot off with turnovers and even with them Pitt still couldn't make any headway. I just wish Marshall had been a little sharper in the passing game today, because as bad as Tech was killing them on the interior I'm sure we left some money on the table with play action or some RPO plays that Coach didn't seem to want to dial up as the game went along. In other words, if you're looking at the glass half full, that was the offense at maybe 85% of their capabilities and they still ran for 436 yards on a P5 conference defense. My only other quibble was that I would've liked to see Howard rotated in for Benson a little more. It was pretty clear Benson was getting physically exhausted in the second half and that probably contributed to his second fumble. He's a very strong young man who plays bigger than he is, but we need to remember he isn't as big a back as Mills was and it would be good not to run all the tread off those tires.

The defense only gave up 10 points, and 7 of that came on the opening drive where I think it's fair to chalk up their performance to being rusty after an unplanned 2 week layoff. The run defense came along nicely after that. The pass defense started rallying and making good tackles after that. And, Tech even miraculously got some pass rush as Simmons made Pitt's right tackle look like a turnstile with eyeballs a couple of times. Other than the second half against Tennessee, I think it's fair to call the defense a very pleasant surprise so far this year and if they can continue to develop that pass rush and eventually start forcing some more turnovers this team could be really good. I do wish Step Durham would start to trust his athleticism more and get his head around when teams throw at him. He tends to be in good position but doesn't seem to trust himself fully yet and it puts him in a spot to either get burned or give up the PI.

Special teams is just a bit of a rolling dumpster fire. At least they didn't miss any kicks this week and both Davis and the freshman kicker looked a lot better in warmups. The layoff may have been good for those two. The kick coverage on the punt return touchdown was a farce, though. Three guys bearing down on the guy at the catch with no blockers there and he made all three coverage guys miss the initial tackle. There's no excuse.

The potential for this Georgia Tech team to have a special season is tantalizing if they can get the turnovers and special teams mistakes ironed out quickly. Nobody in the ACC is looking like a world beater this season, so it's all there for the taking.

Coach is absolutely right. Without the turnovers Tech absolutely would've hung 50 on Pitt today.

Today's performance by the O-line was another savage physical beat down of an opponent just like the Tennessee game. When the B-back doesn't get touched until he's already in a crease 3-4 yards down the field on the dive, you've got no chance against Georgia Tech unless they decide to blow their foot off with turnovers and even with them Pitt still couldn't make any headway. I just wish Marshall had been a little sharper in the passing game today, because as bad as Tech was killing them on the interior I'm sure we left some money on the table with play action or some RPO plays that Coach didn't seem to want to dial up as the game went along. In other words, if you're looking at the glass half full, that was the offense at maybe 85% of their capabilities and they still ran for 436 yards on a P5 conference defense. My only other quibble was that I would've liked to see Howard rotated in for Benson a little more. It was pretty clear Benson was getting physically exhausted in the second half and that probably contributed to his second fumble. He's a very strong young man who plays bigger than he is, but we need to remember he isn't as big a back as Mills was and it would be good not to run all the tread off those tires.

The defense only gave up 10 points, and 7 of that came on the opening drive where I think it's fair to chalk up their performance to being rusty after an unplanned 2 week layoff. The run defense came along nicely after that. The pass defense started rallying and making good tackles after that. And, Tech even miraculously got some pass rush as Simmons made Pitt's right tackle look like a turnstile with eyeballs a couple of times. Other than the second half against Tennessee, I think it's fair to call the defense a very pleasant surprise so far this year and if they can continue to develop that pass rush and eventually start forcing some more turnovers this team could be really good. I do wish Step Durham would start to trust his athleticism more and get his head around when teams throw at him. He tends to be in good position but doesn't seem to trust himself fully yet and it puts him in a spot to either get burned or give up the PI.

Special teams is just a bit of a rolling dumpster fire. At least they didn't miss any kicks this week and both Davis and the freshman kicker looked a lot better in warmups. The layoff may have been good for those two. The kick coverage on the punt return touchdown was a farce, though. Three guys bearing down on the guy at the catch with no blockers there and he made all three coverage guys miss the initial tackle. There's no excuse.

The potential for this Georgia Tech team to have a special season is tantalizing if they can get the turnovers and special teams mistakes ironed out quickly. Nobody in the ACC is looking like a world beater this season, so it's all there for the taking.
ColinPowell.jpg

:lol: It's so much better in slow motion. I can hear the guy being cut go "GOOOOOOD DAAAAAAA-" before being overtaken by his teammate's "OOHHH NOOOOO" when Marshall juked his soul out of his body and his body out of his shoes. Just perfect.

Back