Official Geoff Collins Fired Watch Party Thread

firing him now would be stupid.
Fwiw, the booster I talk to who was pushing for him to be fired last year (and had offered up a large sum to make happen) told me earlier this week that it would be stupid to change course now, regardless of how much he'd disagreed with it last year, because we'd just be paying several million to save face for a few weeks. I tried convincing him that the reputation damage was worth the money, he told me that was easy for me to say when it wasn't my money and we laughed and changed subjects. I doubt this game changed his mind because the result was so predictable.

I think the trigger will get pulled after the Duke game since that is the beginning of the bye week.

If TStan is also gone, maybe the next AD will rip that nasty crap off the hallowed Grant Field and Bermuda will be put back down.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

Fwiw, the booster I talk to who was pushing for him to be fired last year (and had offered up a large sum to make happen) told me earlier this week that it would be stupid to change course now, regardless of how much he'd disagreed with it last year, because we'd just be paying several million to save face for a few weeks. I tried convincing him that the reputation damage was worth the money, he told me that was easy for me to say when it wasn't my money and we laughed and changed subjects. I doubt this game changed his mind because the result was so predictable.
Well it would cost very little to remove TStan and hire a competent AD to select the new coach in December. Did he mention TStan?

I'm still not buying all the rumor threads. I just don't see it happening at this point in time, no matter what I or anyone else might think.

Sort of the same for me, although I think it's considerably more likely now than I would have figured at any earlier point. The Clemson game was like a win compared to today's öööö show.

He would for sure be gone tomorrow if this were at a number of programs, but he also wouldn't have lasted this long at those same places. I do think the overwhelming odds are he is fired prior to the buyout decreasing.

The only remote reservation I have about a midseason firing is the possibility of a moderate uptick under the interim coach that's enough to sway the administration to remove the interim tag, then we end up saddled with a mediocre coach who is already on staff because 'hey, he's better than Collins.' (I don't think that's likely, but eliminating that possibility is the only positive I could see in letting Collins finish out the year.)

Then he is stupid

But it's not "just a few weeks"

BADAAE7B-44DE-41D6-AD9F-72692260BEF5.jpeg

If Georgia Tech wants to fire Geoff Collins prior to 2023, they will need to pay him 100% of his remaining contract salary: $10.5 million plus.

Collins’ original seven-year contract guarantees his full salary if he is relieved of his duties as head coach at any point during the first four years of his contract. The 2022 season is Collins’ fourth year at Georgia Tech. The buyout drops to $2.4 million for each remaining season, beginning in 2023.

His annual salary looks like this:

• 2019: $3 million
  • 2020: $3.1 million
  • 2021: $3.2 million
  • 2022: $3.3 million
  • 2023: $3.4 million
  • 2024: $3.5 million
  • 2025: $3.6 million

He, as well as secondhand thru a separate source with different boosters, have told me that the thinking all summer was "we need to get rid of Todd first"
No financial reason to wait on that one. It would also give the fan base a reason to wait on a December final resolution. The most important reason is to allow the new AD the time necessary to identify and hire a new coach in December.

Back