Official **NCG** Huskies v Wolverines thread

IMG_0347.jpeg

Go Huskies!
Washington is too explosive for Michigan. And Penix ain't so easy to sack - Washington is around 4th best in Sacks allowed which is pretty much how Michigan earns a living. And Michigan's pass defense isn't very good either.

Its pretty much going to come down to which team is better in the Red Zone. I'm taking Washington.

Yeah, it'll all come down to Penix. If they play anything like they did in the Sugar Bowl, then Washington wins by double-digits. For Michigan to win, they'll have to not just pressure, but sack Penix early and often. Excited to watch this one ... wish it was on a Friday or Saturday night, though. I understand trying to avoid the conflict with the NFL, so play on Friday (hell, even Thursday would be fine). Monday is just meh...

Yeah, it'll all come down to Penix. If they play anything like they did in the Sugar Bowl, then Washington wins by double-digits. For Michigan to win, they'll have to not just pressure, but sack Penix early and often. Excited to watch this one ... wish it was on a Friday or Saturday night, though. I understand trying to avoid the conflict with the NFL, so play on Friday. Monday is just meh...

Friday too many people go out. They'd rather have it on a work night so you're more likely to be watching at home.

Yeah, it'll all come down to Penix. If they play anything like they did in the Sugar Bowl, then Washington wins by double-digits. For Michigan to win, they'll have to not just pressure, but sack Penix early and often. Excited to watch this one ... wish it was on a Friday or Saturday night, though. I understand trying to avoid the conflict with the NFL, so play on Friday (hell, even Thursday would be fine). Monday is just meh...
usually does babe, usually does

Friday too many people go out. They'd rather have it on a work night so you're more likely to be watching at home.
They can go out and watch the game :) ... or just move to Thurs.
I have kids and am on Pacific Time, so the Monday games are a double-doozy. I won't be able to start watching tonight's game until 6, at the earliest, which is 1.5 hours after the game starts. Granted, Pacific Time is my fave for CFB Saturdays and NFL Sundays b/c most of the major games are done by 8ish, and I tend to start dozing off around 9:30/10.

They can go out and watch the game :) ... or just move to Thurs.
I have kids and am on Pacific Time, so the Monday games are a double-doozy. I won't be able to start watching tonight's game until 6, at the earliest, which is 1.5 hours after the game starts. Granted, Pacific Time is my fave for CFB Saturdays and NFL Sundays b/c most of the major games are done by 8ish, and I tend to start dozing off around 9:30/10.

Right but if you're out watching the game then their viewership numbers are lower. Also when you're out at a bar you're usually not watching the ads...most bars I've been to actually turn the sound off during commercials.

They could move to a Thursday but I'm not sure how that's more convenient than Monday?

It sucks but they know exactly what they're doing.

Yeah, I get it. I'm just whining b/c NFL already took the best broadcast days/times. Clearly, ESPN has done the research to figure out the best day/time to pull in the most viewers b/c that's their business model.

Washington is too explosive for Michigan. And Penix ain't so easy to sack - Washington is around 4th best in Sacks allowed which is pretty much how Michigan earns a living. And Michigan's pass defense isn't very good either.

Its pretty much going to come down to which team is better in the Red Zone. I'm taking Washington.
Michigan’s pass defense isn’t very good? Since when? Michigan gave up 239 total ypg (rush, pass combined).

Here are Michigan’s pass defense stats against the top teams they played:

PSU - 74 yards passing.
tOSU - 271 yards passing.
Alabama - 116 yards passing.

Next best teams Michigan played:

Maryland (8-5) - 247 yards passing.
Iowa (10-4) - 120 yards passing.
UNLV (9-5) - 168 yards passing.

Has Michigan faced a passing game like Washington? Without question, no they haven’t. But Washington hasn’t faced a defense like Michigan this year either. Oregon finished #11 in points (17.3 ppg), UCLA #11 yards (299 ypg).

Washington squeaked by a lot of teams this season. If Stanford and Cal can each put 30+ up on Washington, I'm going with Michigan by 3 TD's

Michigan’s pass defense isn’t very good? Since when? Michigan gave up 239 total ypg (rush, pass combined).
Nope. Our secondary is tied with Michigan's in terms of passes defended (passes broken up + interceptions). You are attributing their overall passing yards allowed per game to their secondary when its really due to their front 7. Most teams can't throw on MI because they can't protect their QB against Michigan's pass rush. Michigan's margin of victory has been declining steadily all year - 3 of their last 4 games have been one-score games - teams are starting to figure out how to mitigate their pass rush.

Washington is in the top 3 in not allowing sacks - not entirely due to their OL which isn't bad but also because Penix just doesn't like getting sacked and knows how to not get sacked. I also think Washington is going to try to score from outside the Red Zone and avoid trying to "punch it in" against Michigan's brick wall.

I fully expect MI to clamp down on Washington's passing game early by going all-in on pass rush in the first half but I don't think they can keep it up all game. Mi leads at halftime maybe 14 to 10 ish but Washington figures it out at halftime and pulls ahead in 2nd half.

Bottom line: If Washington can score at all from outside the 20, game over.

Back