Official Signing Day Thread

If your discussion point is concerned with the direction of the program after CPJ(specifically regarding staying within his coaching/offensive tree), you shouldn't be talking about QBs. You should be talking about how no one could replace CPJ in running the system/similar system. His coaching makes up for other shortcomings, both in his abilities as a recruiter and the problems inherent with the Institute. Whatever transition that takes place after CPJ will likely have a lot of pain involved with it.

If your discussion point is concerned with the direction of the program after CPJ(specifically regarding staying within his coaching/offensive tree), you shouldn't be talking about QBs. You should be talking about how no one could replace CPJ in running the system/similar system. His coaching makes up for other shortcomings, both in his abilities as a recruiter and the problems inherent with the Institute. Whatever transition that takes place after CPJ will likely have a lot of pain involved with it.

Somebody say my name?
Navy_Toledo_Football-0150a-6618.jpg

not sure if Kenny would come to GT but Monken or Bohannon definitely would.

and the interesting thing is that those 3 guys have been more willing to "innovate" out of PJ's base offense than PJ has. and by innovate I just mean change and adjust, not necessarily "improve."

So you don't think Fridge was a good coach with a good system? Hamilton was way undersized. You are actually ignoring Rick Strom who played 7 years in the NFL, Dewberry, King, and the highly recruited Vlad Lee. Godsey wasn't bad either.
You gotta remember Donnie Davis was the #1 QB prospect in some publications and also the fact that Quincy Carter initially committed to Tech.

So you don't think Fridge was a good coach with a good system? Hamilton was way undersized. You are actually ignoring Rick Strom who played 7 years in the NFL, Dewberry, King, and the highly recruited Vlad Lee. Godsey wasn't bad either.
Fridge was a good OC with great players. If it was "his system" that was great he would have accomplished something at Maryland.

Kim King played for Dodd and was outside the era I mentioned. Strom may have carried a clipboard for 7 years in the NFL, but I don't put him and Dewberry anywhere near Jones or Hamilton or even Kelley. I'll give you Goose. I had forgot about him, but he was not a highly recruited player and a surprise to have had the success he did. Lee was recruited into the TO and moved on to play in a spread option offense, which you indicated you wanted to get away from.

You gotta remember Donnie Davis was the #1 QB prospect in some publications and also the fact that Quincy Carter initially committed to Tech.
Didn't mention Davis because ESPN's international recruiting coordinator took his job. To say we've only had a couple decent qb's defies logic. We've had tons of talent and wasted it.

Fridge was a good OC with great players. If it was "his system" that was great he would have accomplished something at Maryland.

Kim King played for Dodd and was outside the era I mentioned. Strom may have carried a clipboard for 7 years in the NFL, but I don't put him and Dewberry anywhere near Jones or Hamilton or even Kelley. I'll give you Goose. I had forgot about him, but he was not a highly recruited player and a surprise to have had the success he did. Lee was recruited into the TO and moved on to play in a spread option offense, which you indicated you wanted to get away from.
I indicated that I want to get away from the pure TO. Spread is a completely different issue.

He actually did pretty well at Maryland. Google is your friend.

Didn't mention Davis because ESPN's international recruiting coordinator took his job. To say we've only had a couple decent qb's defies logic. We've had tons of talent and wasted it.
and CPJ does the exact opposite of wasting talent.

about the only person one could say he "wasted" is Lee, though I obviously don't see it that way. Lee leaving gave us Thomas, who beat UGA twice and won an OB.

I indicated that I want to get away from the pure TO. Spread is a completely different issue.

He actually did pretty well at Maryland. Google is your friend.
I don't see much difference between the TO and Spread. You line up differently and throw the ball to the edge in lieu of the pitch. How is that completely different?

Maryland fired an alumnus that "did pretty well"? What is this Google you mention?

Lee didn't fit the system. IMO it looked like he didn't want to be hit.
Absolutely agree. The system is rigid and Lee was more of a passer who could run when needed. I wouldn't mind the spread option with the triple thrown in. Joe ran some option when he was at Tech. I liked the more variety that offense could throw at you.

Ralph was fired for going 75-50, including 9-4 his last year, at Maryland. He was very good and even made Godsey look like a hero. Do you not notice that Jones, Hamilton, and Godsey all developed under him?

I love Ralph Friedgen, but he has the same overall winning percentage as Paul Johnson does and had a worse ACC winning percentage in a league that isn't as strong as the current ACC.

Furthermore, Ralph went 44-42 over his final seven seasons at Maryland. We shouldn't glorify what he did there.

Maryland recruited lights out this year. Great class.

Absolutely agree. The system is rigid and Lee was more of a passer who could run when needed. I wouldn't mind the spread option with the triple thrown in. Joe ran some option when he was at Tech. I liked the more variety that offense could throw at you.

Ralph was fired for going 75-50, including 9-4 his last year, at Maryland. He was very good and even made Godsey look like a hero. Do you not notice that Jones, Hamilton, and Godsey all developed under him?
I bleed White & Gold and I will always be grateful to Ralph, Shawn & Joe and for that matter ALL who have given their best for The Institute whether we won or not. Bottom line for me is that we will never be in the Top 10 in recruiting, so we need to play a system that allows lower tier talent to over achieve above their skill level. I believe the TO has proven that it does that.

Since the other NSD thread was not "official"
put all your updates here.
Since the other NSD thread was not "official"
put all your updates here.

My thread was never intended to be "official", but just a personal inquiry to see if anyone on ST was going to the AA to watch the goings on. My curiosity was purely vicarious, since I was taking my wife to an MRI that morning and couldn't attend in person.

Sorry if you felt mislead.

Back