Officially Official Avenge Calvin Pack Small Sack Game Thread

Techbert

Dodd-Like
thats about right. So 80-90% of the time thats a drive killer.
Actually the math (speaking to an engineer and not a football person) is that it is a drive killer 51.2% to 72.9% of the time. Lower if you go for 4th down.

If you look at it in football mathematics terms, it is an important play we have to regularly run, and Mason will thank you.

Graham throws a pretty deep ball, and the percent completion on the bombs will go up as he gains experience, more targets, and better pass pro. He's no Harvin, but who is?

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
actually thought the DL is getting some penetration but LBs arent filling holes behind them. RBs are dodging the first push and then have a wide open lane for 7 yards.
I could say the same thing about your mom.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Graham is an option qb. That much is certain by now, and last night I noticed we reverted back to the option quite a few times to bail us out on sticky downs. That was Patenaude doing what he knew would work.
Some of the option plays we ran were a little scary. One pitch was high and ugly, but worked out OK. I think another got sniffed out and stuffed. I think one of the fumbles was on some kind of read option mesh-gone-wild, too.

My first thought was that it was strange how quickly we forget how to do that stuff well, but Graham didn't actually play that much under CPJ, and I think one of the RBs involved might not have played under CPJ at all.

JRjr

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Some of the option plays we ran were a little scary. One pitch was high and ugly, but worked out OK. I think another got sniffed out and stuffed. I think one of the fumbles was on some kind of read option mesh-gone-wild, too.

My first thought was that it was strange how quickly we forget how to do that stuff well, but Graham didn't actually play that much under CPJ, and I think one of the RBs involved might not have played under CPJ at all.

JRjr
The fumble was a miscommunication. Graham was reading the DE, who was optioned, and giving the ball. But the RB was running a different play.

This is part of the problem with the option. You have to rep that play over and over to get it right. Duke’s version of the option was anything but that. They used the formation, but clearly called most of the plays presnap.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
That’s 2nd fumble was a botched mesh with Mason, not Griffin. Not that it matters at this point, but wanted to stop the fake news that Griffin was an issue on that exchange.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
That’s 2nd fumble was a botched mesh with Mason, not Griffin. Not that it matters at this point, but wanted to stop the fake news that Griffin was an issue on that exchange.
Yep, and the 1st was 100% on Graham. He had plenty of time to see the defender. Bottomline is he has to be stronger with the ball. Mistakes are going to happen but he needs to learn when to tuck the ball or make sure the mesh is strong.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Yep, and the 1st was 100% on Graham. He had plenty of time to see the defender. Bottomline is he has to be stronger with the ball. Mistakes are going to happen but he needs to learn when to tuck the ball or make sure the mesh is strong.
I don’t remember which, but one of the fumbles last night looked like he was waiting for a mesh that never happened. Granted maybe he should have realized it and pulled the ball back in, I feel like he had the ball stuck out there for a few seconds to no one.

Last edited:

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I don’t remember which, but one of the fumbles last night looked like he was waiting for a mesh that never happened. Granted he probably should have quickly realized it and pulled the ball back in, but I feel like he had the ball stuck out there for a few seconds to no one.
It is as if we have a freshman at quarterback.

So lets fire some coach.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
Nah this looks like it’s Howard fault. Looks like he forgot the play was read option

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Nah this looks like it’s Howard fault. Looks like he forgot the play was read option
That’s the one.

(I don’t know if folks are reading something into my description of that play above, I wasn’t trying to cast blame. It just stood out in my mind as awkward looking.)