O'Leary's Apparent "Talent Level"......

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
O\'Leary\'s Apparent "Talent Level"......

seems O'Leary's ability to judge talent wasn't as cracked up as we thought it was. First Chan finds Hollings to be the best RB I've ever seen on the flats and now he moves the 3rd and final QB to another position from the class that had 3 "future Joe Hamilton's".

The good thing here is that QB's can typically play other positions, ala Dawan Landry. But we recruited them to play QB and so far that hasn't happened.

It sounds like Chan at least knows what he's looking for and where to find it. It took some serious balls (no pun intended) to make that move. Got to commend him.

I'm excited about Reggie Ball. We now have someone to grow with again like we did when we had Lil Joe. If Ball starts the season, would this be the first time in school history a TRUE Freshman started the first game? I cannot think of another. It's a shame we have not been able to capitolize on the talents of Bilbo at QB.

I remember back to the rumor I heard that Godsey was asked after his final game who would be the starting QB next year, Suggs or Bilbo, and he apparently said, "Suggs, Dbo has a sleeping problem through team meetings and QB film meetings." That's strictly rumor mill, but probably holds some truth. Unfortunately neither O'Leary nor Gailey have been able to correct him.

Re: O\'Leary\'s Apparent "Talent Level"......

Posted by BOR:

I remember back to the rumor I heard that Godsey
was asked after his final game who would be the starting QB next year, Suggs or Bilbo, and he apparently said, "Suggs, Dbo has a sleeping problem through team meetings and QB film meetings."

If there is any truth to this, its just another indication that we as fans, are clueless about so many things that are important.

Good luck to DeBO. He Will help us somewhere.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
seems O'Leary's ability to judge talent wasn't as cracked up as we thought it was. First Chan finds Hollings to be the best RB I've ever seen on the flats and now he moves the 3rd and final QB to another position from the class that had 3 "future Joe Hamilton's".

The good thing here is that QB's can typically play other positions, ala Dawan Landry. But we recruited them to play QB and so far that hasn't happened.

It sounds like Chan at least knows what he's looking for and where to find it. It took some serious balls (no pun intended) to make that move. Got to commend him.

I'm excited about Reggie Ball. We now have someone to grow with again like we did when we had Lil Joe. If Ball starts the season, would this be the first time in school history a TRUE Freshman started the first game? I cannot think of another. It's a shame we have not been able to capitolize on the talents of Bilbo at QB.

I remember back to the rumor I heard that Godsey was asked after his final game who would be the starting QB next year, Suggs or Bilbo, and he apparently said, "Suggs, Dbo has a sleeping problem through team meetings and QB film meetings." That's strictly rumor mill, but probably holds some truth. Unfortunately neither O'Leary nor Gailey have been able to correct him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'll give CG credit for this one. We all suffered with his choice at QB last year, so at least he's trying to shake things up. Dbo has got the talent to play at this level,...just need to find the spot where he can contribute. I too am excited about Reggie Ball. In-state kid from one of the top programs in the Metro area. Recruited by the major Southern schools---not Vandy or Duke. The big question is,...will CG let him grow into the position. We had better not have a quick hook with him when (and it's inevitable, because even Lil'Joe,God bless him, did) he struggles. I'd rather have had a sleepy Dbo at the helm over what we kept going with last year, but it's a new day, so we must move on. Find Dbo a place to play,...give AJ the clipboard and coach up the freshmen QB's.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Great post BOR...Ive always thought Oleary had a weakness of judging talent,, you never saw a successfull position change under him...Gailey has already made several in just a season and half here..Even over at Ugag they have made position changes successfully:Bruce Thornton a highly rated RB was moved to CB and was Successful and Wasnt Terrence Edwards and his brother successfully moved Position wise??
Oleary just never seemed adept at doing that...

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Great post BOR...Ive always thought Oleary had a weakness of judging talent,, you never saw a successfull position change under him...Gailey has already made several in just a season and half here..Even over at Ugag they have made position changes successfully:Bruce Thornton a highly rated RB was moved to CB and was Successful and Wasnt Terrence Edwards and his brother successfully moved Position wise??
Oleary just never seemed adept at doing that...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You may have a point,....but he never lost to ugag by a 51-7 score and he never uttered these words after any game vs Wake Forest,...."they were more physical in person than they looked on film". My God,...how embarrassing.

GATA JACKETS!

NO Driver but didnt it take him 3 years to get us in a bowl???? And only when he picked up Friedgen..

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
NO Driver but didnt it take him 3 years to get us in a bowl???? And only when he picked up Friedgen..
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hard to belive that some supposed Tech Football fans(?) continue to hate on Coach O'Leary. He rescued our program and we all owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude. Let me ask you this,....did you take any solace in your statement at season's end last year...51-7 and the Fresno Fiasco. Were you really thinking...well it took Coach O'Leary( who inherited the program from the evil one) 3 years too get us to a bowl, so were okay. Come on,....who are you kidding with that one.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Originally posted by Driver8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hard to belive that some supposed Tech Football fans(?) continue to hate on Coach O'Leary. He rescued our program and we all owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude. Let me ask you this,....did you take any solace in your statement at season's end last year...51-7 and the Fresno Fiasco. Were you really thinking...well it took Coach O'Leary( who inherited the program from the evil one) 3 years too get us to a bowl, so were okay. Come on,....who are you kidding with that one.

GATA JACKETS!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Go to Hell, GOL!

NO who are you kidding driver??? As Many have already said..You group of 3 or 4 need to cut and paste..You play that same ole tune about Gailey time and time again...

If you want to dissect year by year what Oleary has done against Gaileys ONE YEAR here at Tech then have at it BUT it is APPARANT You and the 2 or 3 are NOT going to give him credit for ANYTHING he does good...

Driver, have to give kudos on your first post on this thread. First time I can remember you kept your comments on subject and didn't deviate into a Chan bashing. Actually gave him a little credit, which isn't required IMO, but nice. Isn't it pleasent when we just talk about player moves, schemed, etc. I'll even give you a pass on the next couple because O'L was criticized and you were defending him. Still don't know why we have to be either or. I liked him and I like Chan. They both have shortcomings and strengths.

NcJacket your right..Believe it or not i was one of Oleareys biggest supporters..BUT the mo on the 3 or 4 Chan bashers here on this board is them putting Big Bee up as some God and bashing Chan at EVERY chance... I still believe Oleary will go down as one of our best coaches in recent history just behind Ross BUT i feel we in time will fare better with Chan........

BarrellO Rum, you ask the question as to whether Tech had ever had a true freshman to start the season. In 1952 Tech won the national championship with a freshman QB that started and won every game. His name is Bill Brigman from Glynn Academy High School in Brunswick, Ga. I'm not one hundred percent sure but I think he was a true freshman. The odd thing is that the NCAA changed the rules from two platoon to one platoon and this kid wasn't heard from again because he was weak on defense. In one platoon ball the coaches stressed defense and since Bill was not a good defensive player he played very sparingly after that. But the kid was a great offensive QB who was mature beyond his years. Tech has had some great kids come through our program.

Big Buck, Bill Brigman was by far the best quarterback I have ever seen to run a multiple offense. He was so adept at faking the handoff to the various backs, that fans, announcers, nor watchful scouts could tell which back had the ball.

Had one platoon remained non-existent, I believe he would have been known as the greatest quarterback in Tech history.

I know this is just my opinion, but I have never seen any quarterback, since Brigman, handle the handoffs in the backfield as mystiquely as Bill.

Father Time

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Driver, have to give kudos on your first post on this thread. First time I can remember you kept your comments on subject and didn't deviate into a Chan bashing. Actually gave him a little credit, which isn't required IMO, but nice. Isn't it pleasent when we just talk about player moves, schemed, etc. I'll even give you a pass on the next couple because O'L was criticized and you were defending him. Still don't know why we have to be either or. I liked him and I like Chan. They both have shortcomings and strengths.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks man. I just want to see us have a winning program. One that we all can be proud of. Not a repeat last season,...,more like the '97-99 years. If CG takes us back to that level and beyond.....I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

This is the South. College Football is important.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Incredible. The first Tech coach since Boddy Dodd to take Tech to five straight bowls and beat UGA three in a row could not judge talent. Just when you think you have heard it all. Why does everything have to degenerate into a O'Leary vs. Gailey comparision?

Same story - save Chan by degrading the savior - George O'Leary. This stinks every time it's said!

This program is here today because of his rescue - let's see if it's here tomorrow because Chan here now?

Beating UGAG 3 years in a row was worth George being here - the rest was gravy!

Looks like the likes of Greg Gathers, Joe Hamilton, Dez White, Daryl Smith, Key Fox, Craig Page, Nat Dorsey, Leon Robinson, Jonathan Smith, Nate Curry, Tony Hollings, Cory Collins, Nate Stinson, Kerry Wadkins, Travis Parker, Rueben Houston, Joe Burns, Chris Young, George Godsey, Charlie Rogers, Sean Gregory, and the many, many more that played for George and brought us to heights that hadn't been seen here in years has nothing to do with George and his abilities! Let's take a DEEP BREATH AND THANK THE LORD THEY CAME, WE WON AND IT WAS ALLLLLLL GOOD!

Tear him apart for the sake of Chan BUT NEVER SAY HE DIDN'T TO IT RIGHT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Beating UGAG 3 years in a row was worth George being here - the rest was gravy!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So if Chan beats UGAg and only UGAg this year, then you'll be willing to give him another year?

Wrecked, you speak the truth:

"Why does everything have to degenerate into a O'Leary vs. Gailey comparision? "

Gailey is our coach!! O'Leary is gone and should be just as forgotten as Bill Lewis, or any of our other coaches. I have a certain positive affection for all of them, but I (personally) feel affronted by those who leave for "greener pastures". To me, Tech is the GREENEST!!!! No Matter what; and for anyone who would leave to go to another college program, I lose a degree of affection. I care not their thoughts of "other programs". To me Tech is NO&gt; 1 and there are 6 groups of Tech coaches: Traitors, Fired, Retired, Dead, Gone Pro, and Present. I respect all, but I only love and give allegiance to five of the 6. Those who leave are in my estimation,are Traitors and always will be: No matter for what! For money, glory, whatever!!!!!!!

"Who says the South will rise again?" We never sunk and never will!!!!!!! That the North won the war is only a stinkin' rumor!!!!! Forget??, No, not until my gggrandfather and others like him are given decent burials and proper recognition and honor!!!!!!"
=

Originally posted by Driver8:
Hard to belive that some supposed Tech Football fans(?) continue to hate on Coach O'Leary. He rescued our program and we all owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The only thing owed in that deal is 1.5 Million.

Back