Our Fight Songs

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
After posting a message on my high school alumni website about my sports passion(s) - of course I really got into GT - I ended my post with the words to "I'm A Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech" and realized that both our songs (Up With The White and Gold) have direct negative mention of our rival UGAG.

Is GT the only school that has done that. I'm not familiar with too many other major universities fight songs, but I don't think there are many that mention their rival in their fight songs like we do. Would be curious if anyone knows.

This tells me that GT ALWAYS HAD FROM THE START that feeling about the guys up the street and it was ALWAYS intense!
mad.gif

I have also wondered the very same thing. I can't think of any that do......

Makes our fight songs even cooler!

Go Jackets!

From what I understand Tech is mentioned in the Alabama fight song.

Price Memorial Gold

We are:

Send those bees/yellow jackets to a watery grave

Might not be exact, but that's the idea,
JJ

The first line of Texas A&M's fight song is:

"Goodbye to texas university, so long to the orange and white"

Yes!

this is further evidince that we're obcessed with ugag, to a rediculous degreee.

i had never not iced that, but your right.

Here are other team's fight songs that mention opponents:

Alabama:
"Go teach the Bulldogs to behave,
Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave!"

California:
"And when he hears the tread
Of lowly Stanford red
From his lair he fiercly growls"

Kansas:
"Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Buffs,
Talk about the Tiger and his tail,
Talk about the Wildcat, and those Cornhuskin' boys,
But I'm the bird to make 'em weep and wail."

Navy:
"Anchors Aweigh,
Stand Navy down the field,
And SINK the Army, SINK the Army grey!"

NC State:
"A hand behind our back,
We can take on all the rest.
Come over the hill, Carolina.
Devils and Deacs stand in line."

Texas A&M:
"The eyes of Texas are upon you..."
That is the song they sing so well
So good-bye to Texas University"

They go on to shout: "Saw Varsity's horns off!"

V.M.I.:
"Though the foe may be stronger, they'll hear our battle cry.
The "WAHOOS" and "GOBBLERS" will see the squadron fly,
They will fear it, the spirit, the will to win or die,"

Virginia Tech:
"You have seen the Hoyas tumble,
You have made the Indians cry,
And you know the Army mule
Once took a kick at V. P. I.
Worthy teams from Lexington
Have fought with all their might;
But now it's time to show the world
That VPI can fight."

BBR

Originally posted by Big Bubba Ray:
Here are other team's fight songs that mention opponents:

Alabama:
"Go teach the Bulldogs to behave,
Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave!"

California:
"And when he hears the tread
Of lowly Stanford red
From his lair he fiercly growls"

Kansas:
"Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Buffs,
Talk about the Tiger and his tail,
Talk about the Wildcat, and those Cornhuskin' boys,
But I'm the bird to make 'em weep and wail."

Navy:
"Anchors Aweigh,
Stand Navy down the field,
And SINK the Army, SINK the Army grey!"

NC State:
"A hand behind our back,
We can take on all the rest.
Come over the hill, Carolina.
Devils and Deacs stand in line."

Texas A&M:
"The eyes of Texas are upon you..."
That is the song they sing so well
So good-bye to Texas University"

They go on to shout: "Saw Varsity's horns off!"

V.M.I.:
"Though the foe may be stronger, they'll hear our battle cry.
The "WAHOOS" and "GOBBLERS" will see the squadron fly,
They will fear it, the spirit, the will to win or die,"

Virginia Tech:
"You have seen the Hoyas tumble,
You have made the Indians cry,
And you know the Army mule
Once took a kick at V. P. I.
Worthy teams from Lexington
Have fought with all their might;
But now it's time to show the world
That VPI can fight."

BBR
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Excellent research on the subject and very interesting! After all these, there are probably a lot more. This is what I believe constitutes a "real rivalry" the mention of the other team in your fight songs.

The pups have added to glory glory at the end(and to hell with GA. Tech}

Why couldn't we have a big celebration this year in the stadium immediately at the end of the Ugag game when we beat them. We could have the band and the team take formation on the field. The band could play "Up with the White and Gold, down with the red and black. . . " We could raise a large penant/flag of White and Gold on the flag pole while singing the song. Then we could sing the school anthem, and last, we could sing the Ramblin Wreck, and then go crazy.

Do you guys and gals think that this could be done?

Originally posted by mustard:
Why couldn't we have a big celebration this year in the stadium immediately at the end of the Ugag game when we beat them. We could have the band and the team take formation on the field. The band could play "Up with the White and Gold, down with the red and black. . . " We could raise a large penant/flag of White and Gold on the flag pole while singing the song. Then we could sing the school anthem, and last, we could sing the Ramblin Wreck, and then go crazy.

Do you guys and gals think that this could be done?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Mustard: This is a good idea for all our games - starting a tradition. I like this a LOT!! Maybe you can pass this along to someone GTAA!

Originally posted by Count_Iz_Van_Tileckie:
Yes!

this is further evidince that we're obcessed with ugag, to a rediculous degreee.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't forget Count that UGAG mentions us in their fight song as well. Of course they couldn't come up with anything original, theirs is "To Hell With Georgia Tech"...

Originally posted by Wreck n Roll:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Count_Iz_Van_Tileckie:
Yes!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't forget Count that UGAG mentions us in their fight song as well. Of course they couldn't come up with anything original, theirs is "To Hell With Georgia Tech"...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yeah ... they tried to "copy" and came out with a BIG ZERO. Even the tune to Glory, Glory is used by other schools! We're original and both our songs are very much ours!
drinking.gif

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Wreck n Roll:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Count_Iz_Van_Tileckie:
Yes!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't forget Count that UGAG mentions us in their fight song as well. Of course they couldn't come up with anything original, theirs is "To Hell With Georgia Tech"...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yeah ... they tried to "copy" and came out with a BIG ZERO. Even the tune to Glory, Glory is used by other schools! We're original and both our songs are very much ours!
drinking.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yep! To Hell with Georgia and To Hell with their Yankee fight song!

BBR

I personally am kind of upset that those nit wits in the Cespool disgraced "Glory, Glory Hallelujah."

drinking.gif

Don't forget that UGA copied the Green Bay "G", and that the original Sanford Stadium was an exact copy of a NE stadium of that time period. The Bulldog mascot is a dime a dozen, as well.
and yes, Tech fans have UGA on the brain WAY TOO MUCH. But it is a Catch 22 that can't be shaked.
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Don't forget that UGA copied the Green Bay "G", and that the original Sanford Stadium was an exact copy of a NE stadium of that time period. The Bulldog mascot is a dime a dozen, as well.
and yes, Tech fans have UGA on the brain WAY TOO MUCH. But it is a Catch 22 that can't be shaked.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Was it the Yale Bowl? That's where they got a lot of stuff, I think, from Yale. Maybe even the bulldog.

Ya'll are forgeting a VERY obvious one(Although, I think its used by Oklahoma too) its UNCs:

"Tar heel born, tar heel bread,
and when I die ill be tar heel dead,
So ra ra carolina, ra ra Carolina, Ra ra Carolina
GO TO HELL DUKE"

I think those are the words...

Cheers,

RW4L
drinking.gif

Duke's also has "to hell with carolina" in it.

In fact, I think most college fight songs have something to say about their biggest rival.

Back