Out gained, TOP.

That's because of his height, but people keep claiming his height poses no disadvantage. He's a baller no doubt and we're lucky to have him but my stance still remains. If Jeff can get it together inside the helmet, he and GT both have higher ceiling with him in the game. You cant give up on him yet. For instance, the little screen pass in the flat that we floated on 3rd and 4 or 5, Jordan had to float it because he cant zip that over the line. Jeff can. If that ball gets there quick, Nate has time to turn it up and get the 1st down. We still have to give Jeff a chance to see what he can do. Im all for Yates starting until he struggles, but when he does, Sims needs to get his shot.
All true.

Yates played well but I disagree. He bailed too early sometimes and retreated when he should step up. He called for the snap once without half the offense set. It's like some people just want Jeff to fail and only focus on his negative.
Yes. His propensity to run backwards just makes things worse and will almost always result in bigger sacks or throw aways from 15+ yards behind the LOS. He did step up in the pocket once or twice later in the game.

Yates played well but I disagree. He bailed too early sometimes and retreated when he should step up. He called for the snap once without half the offense set. It's like some people just want Jeff to fail and only focus on his negative.
I mean yeah, Yates was far from perfect. But he constantly avoids making killer mistakes. Sims certainly has a higher ceiling, but you have to agree that in the past he has lost us some games with horrific turnovers, right?

If nothing else, hopefully Sims learns some lessons about ball security while he sits on the sideline watching a significantly less talented guy take his job because he doesn’t beat his own team. I do think Sims will take the starting job back, but hopefully not until he earns it.

That's because of his height, but people keep claiming his height poses no disadvantage. He's a baller no doubt and we're lucky to have him but my stance still remains. If Jeff can get it together inside the helmet, he and GT both have higher ceiling with him in the game. You cant give up on him yet. For instance, the little screen pass in the flat that we floated on 3rd and 4 or 5, Jordan had to float it because he cant zip that over the line. Jeff can. If that ball gets there quick, Nate has time to turn it up and get the 1st down. We still have to give Jeff a chance to see what he can do. Im all for Yates starting until he struggles, but when he does, Sims needs to get his shot.

It's definitely true that Yates isn't perfect. A thing to remember is he and Sims both don't have a huge amount of experience. The difficulty with Sims and him getting his shot somewhere is in how the season started. By all reports he looked fine in practice then came out in a game and looked like a QB throwing with an injured arm. With such a discrepancy, how do you decide when he is ready for another shot?

I mean yeah, Yates was far from perfect. But he constantly avoids making killer mistakes. Sims certainly has a higher ceiling, but you have to agree that in the past he has lost us some games with horrific turnovers, right?

If nothing else, hopefully Sims learns some lessons about ball security while he sits on the sideline watching a significantly less talented guy take his job because he doesn’t beat his own team. I do think Sims will take the starting job back, but hopefully not until he earns it.
I don’t think it’s all about ball security and decision making but idk.

I agree but I think it's just too early for folks to throw Sims under the bus this year. Reports are that he had a great offseason and is the only QB on the roster that the entire playbook is open for. He made the one turnover against NIU but that was on the mesh and was just as much the RB fault as his. He's under tremendous pressure to succeed this year and after 2 early FG misses in that game I'm sure the pressure got even higher. He startes the Louisville game last year worse than he started the NiU game but then settled in and we blew them out. We dont know what he may have done because he got hurt yet everybody thinks he wouldnt have done any better.

It's definitely true that Yates isn't perfect. A thing to remember is he and Sims both don't have a huge amount of experience. The difficulty with Sims and him getting his shot somewhere is in how the season started. By all reports he looked fine in practice then came out in a game and looked like a QB throwing with an injured arm. With such a discrepancy, how do you decide when he is ready for another shot?
That was one quarter of the first game of the year. He didnt get a chance to settle down. Like I said before he started last yeara Louisville game even worse than that then settled in and we blew them out.

I’ll preface this by saying That I can’t see what Yates sees but he seemed to only be comfortable throwing to VERY open receivers yesterday. As others have said it makes him more of a game manager. Given how well our defense played, he didn’t really have to push it, I guess, so it’s hard to be critical. Just don’t lose the game with turnovers.

He’s gonna have to throw to some more contested routes at some point to take the next step. I imagine that confidence will grow with time and maybe it’s a function of his perception of the defense or his comfortability with the receiving corps.

Dude played his heart out yesterday without question.

That was one quarter of the first game of the year. He didnt get a chance to settle down. Like I said before he started last yeara Louisville game even worse than that then settled in and we blew them out.
Which leads me to another thought I almost put in. A lot of people have talked about how this is the year where we have to start winning games and that they got that impression from the coaches attitude in the offseason too. Coaches may decide that this year the higher upside may not be worth it if we have to wait around longer for him to reach it.
Telling me this has happened before doesn't help the case a lot. How do we know this won't be a common thing with him now?

I agree we can't completely give up on Sims, but I also think it's going to be hard to figure out when the right time to give him another chance is since we don't know if giving him that chance will cost us a game we could otherwise win.

Which leads me to another thought I almost put in. A lot of people have talked about how this is the year where we have to start winning games and that they got that impression from the coaches attitude in the offseason too. Coaches may decide that this year the higher upside may not be worth it if we have to wait around longer for him to reach it.
Telling me this has happened before doesn't help the case a lot. How do we know this won't be a common thing with him now?

I agree we can't completely give up on Sims, but I also think it's going to be hard to figure out when the right time to give him another chance is since we don't know if giving him that chance will cost us a game we could otherwise win.
I agree with you but you say how do we know this won't be a common thing with him now? Well I ask how do we know it will? You can't know without seeing at least a little more. Most players have the biggest jump from year 1 to year 2. We haven't given Jeff enough to see if thats the case or not.

I agree with you but you say how do we know this won't be a common thing with him now? Well I ask how do we know it will? You can't know without seeing at least a little more. Most players have the biggest jump from year 1 to year 2. We haven't given Jeff enough to see if thats the case or not.
We’ve only seen Yates in 2.5 games. Maybe the jump he makes this year is bigger than the one Sims has already made? The ability of the staff to admit a mistake may be their downfall. You can see this same struggle they’re having at other positions, not just the most visible QB spot.

In terms of the whole game yesterday, if I was the coach my gameplan would have been to play it conservative and shorten the game. Make no mistakes, hope they make some. Get to where a few plays can swing the outcome. We did exactly that. Just game up 1-2 plays short. Yates managed within the gameplan and didn’t force stuff. Smart football, high IQ stuff. Think of what the typical Sims 2-3 turnover performance would have done to the outcome of this game? Yeah you get the occasional WOW play out of Sims, but you also get the 2-3x WTF moments.

We’ve only seen Yates in 2.5 games. Maybe the jump he makes this year is bigger than the one Sims has already made? The ability of the staff to admit a mistake may be their downfall. You can see this same struggle they’re having at other positions, not just the most visible QB spot.

In terms of the whole game yesterday, if I was the coach my gameplan would have been to play it conservative and shorten the game. Make no mistakes, hope they make some. Get to where a few plays can swing the outcome. We did exactly that. Just game up 1-2 plays short. Yates managed within the gameplan and didn’t force stuff. Smart football, high IQ stuff. Think of what the typical Sims 2-3 turnover performance would have done to the outcome of this game? Yeah you get the occasional WOW play out of Sims, but you also get the 2-3x WTF moments.
Sims has played in 10 games plus 1 qtr in his entire GT Career, let's round to 11 Games

So if Sims has a typical 2 to 3 turnover Game , that would lead a logical Person to assume that he has 22 to 33 turnovers for his Career, amazing how our Fans hate some guys so much and stretch 13 Int's into a typical 2-3 turnovers per game

FYI , QBs getting blindsided and getting their Arms raked due to Slow OLs getting beat off the snap will lead to fumbles

Another FYI, unless we see the all 22 Film and hear the Coaches review we have no idea who is at fault with fumbles on the mesh, for all we know the Coach wanted the QB to keep and was only using the mesh to deceive the Def and the RB forgot and tried to keep the ball, then Fans like you see a Fumble and hear an announcer attempt to fill airtime and then you default to the QB screwed up

Analyze, then ask why, then come up with solutions other than fire the OC, or bench the QB

Sims has played in 10 games plus 1 qtr in his entire GT Career, let's round to 11 Games

So if Sims has a typical 2 to 3 turnover Game , that would lead a logical Person to assume that he has 22 to 33 turnovers for his Career, amazing how our Fans hate some guys so much and stretch 13 Int's into a typical 2-3 turnovers per game
Tbh I swagged it but we actually had 25 turnovers in 10 games in 2020. Hmm, avg 2.5. This year fumbled once in 20 mins, avg 3.0. Stats don’t lie.

Tbh I swagged it but we actually had 25 turnovers in 10 games in 2020. Hmm, avg 2.5. This year fumbled once in 20 mins, avg 3.0. Stats don’t lie.
So you're putting all 25 turnovers on the QB? Mmmkay.

So you're putting all 25 turnovers on the QB? Mmmkay.
Even then, at least a few, I recall, could be placed squarely on the center for bad snaps. Our mesh was horrible last season as snaps were disruptively high or low and threw off the timing and allowed the DL to gain additional penetration on top of the normal porous line rush from last season.

Even then, at least a few, I recall, could be placed squarely on the center for bad snaps. Our mesh was horrible last season as snaps were disruptively high or low and threw off the timing and allowed the DL to gain additional penetration on top of the normal porous line rush from last season.
Snaps are still a bit of a problem sometimes.

Back