Patenaude or Thacker?

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like

Patenaude has the offensive numbers improving every year he’s been with us.

Thacker? Not so much. Yikes, he’s fielded some stinker kind of defense.

My money is on Thacker getting the boot although I’ve heard we may be trying to bring in some new coach/coaches on offense.

MeatWrench

Holder of all Moon records
Early in the season I would have bet Patenaude thinking that CGC would lean in on D to shore up Thacker. Given how atrocious our D has been in every game but 2 (UNC/KSU) Thacker simply has to be the one.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I am thinking both. Budget coordinators. Need to pony up. But if we can only afford 1, sadly it has to be Thacker. I still think he has potential but he isn't ready for this job. Secondary coaches got to go. Fine with Knight and Coleman sticking around if the new DC likes them.

I figure Patenaude will take a job up in the northeast, maybe head coach at a Div. II school or something.

Choice and Dixon are keepers on O, as is Key, as much as many will hate that. Need a new recruiter and coach for the TE's, IMO. Former walk-ons shouldn't be out best options there in year 3.

Last edited:

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro

Patenaude has the offensive numbers improving every year he’s been with us.

Thacker? Not so much. Yikes, he’s fielded some stinker kind of defense.

My money is on Thacker getting the boot although I’ve heard we may be trying to bring in some new coach/coaches on offense.
On offense we were ranked 94th in 2019, 92nd in 2020 and now 78th with 1 more game to go. 78 is higher than 92, so yeah progress but we got 1 more game to go. Probably 30% of our offense is on Gibbs by himself. Goober would have nothing had Choice not hung on to Gibbs when he recruited him.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
On offense we were ranked 94th in 2019, 92nd in 2020 and now 78th with 1 more game to go. 78 is higher than 92, so yeah progress but we got 1 more game to go. Probably 30% of our offense is on Gibbs by himself. Goober would have nothing had Choice not hung on to Gibbs when he recruited him.
78th, but bound to trend down after the last game.
We are either significantly more talented on offense or we are not. If we are, we are getting much less from the players. If we are not, the main thing the staff hangs its hat on is an illusion.

A 5 win season, we should replace one coordinator maybe. A 3 win season and the whole staff needs to be evaluated. Branding is nice, recruiting is helpful, but winning is the only metric that matters.

mookie43

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that Patenaude and Collins don't get along........so I expect him to go.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
My understanding is that Patenaude and Collins don't get along........so I expect him to go.
if G*C* is going to save his skin, he’s a dumbass if he doesn’t make the 2yr play here. Blame Goober & Thacker for everything, that buys him 2 yrs to get the new OC & DC’s “systems” in place and get the right people for those. He could make it to year 5 that way at a minimum. If he replaces just Thacker, well he’s risking only 1 more year as a head coach. I’m betting he’ll hang onto Goober.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Patenaude will be gone. Key will be promoted and given a raise. On defense we will pick up a big name. That’s my guess. Maybe we try to bring Nate Woody back.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I don't know. I think both are likely gone. And I cannot say I'm sad about that.
I wouldn’t be sad at all. I don’t think Patenaude has done a terrible job, per se, but I haven’t seen anything to make me think he’s the innovative guy we need at OC. It’s been hard to watch after 11 years of consistently good to great offense, despite relative lack of talent. Fridge and CPJ always seemed a step ahead of the competition, and we saw how high that could take us.

Let’s go find another guy like that.