Patenaude or Thacker?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
I actually like Coach P. He seems like a pretty cerebral guy. And he gets the same benefit that I gave CPJ which is that when the OL sucks it doesn’t matter what plays are being called. We went through the same stuff with CPJ (who I think most agree was a top grade play caller) having games where nothing worked because the OL was getting blown up every play.

Chattanooga Jacket

Damn Good Rat
Collins’ future as a head coach will hinge on what he does after Saturday. If he keeps the current staff, his career as a HC will be toast after next year. If he replaces one or more coordinators he will at least have shown GT and any future employers that he’s willing to make tough decisions.

murrayjacket

Damn Good Rat
Thacker"s performance is indefensible. Opponents quite literally set season highs in offensive output game after game. An "only bad" (as opposed to bottom of FBS) defense would have gotten us a couple more wins this year. You can't make the argument for more time, because we're regressing. Dude has got to go.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
I fully believe Collins will be here for 5 years. At the end of which he and Stansbury will make the rounds saying “I told you so!” After we are 8-4 and runners up in the Division.

PM Gold

Varsity Lurker

Patenaude has the offensive numbers improving every year he’s been with us.

Thacker? Not so much. Yikes, he’s fielded some stinker kind of defense.

My money is on Thacker getting the boot although I’ve heard we may be trying to bring in some new coach/coaches on offense.
Patenaude treated 19 like a scrimmage so improvement isn’t saying much
We had 50+ three and outs in 19 and around 35 in 2020 with a shorted season
His ‘improvement’ is hardly impressive

Patenaude will be gone. Key will be promoted and given a raise. On defense we will pick up a big name. That’s my guess. Maybe we try to bring Nate Woody back.
Nate Woody was here, and Collins let him go. Woody would (and should) laugh in Collins face, if offered. And why on earth would he come back anyway, knowing that once again, it would probably be only for one year?

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
If we have to pick, definitely Thacker. He talks a really good game and shows a good knowledge of defensive philosophy, but it’s not transitioning onto the field for whatever reason. Likable guy, but the performance requires a firing. Send the DB and Safety coaches with him.

Patenaude has at least shown progress. The offense will remain crap until we have a solid OLine. Our crappy OL play is either really bad coaching from the OL coach, depth issues from the numerous injuries and lack of P5 OL players, or a combination of both. Fix the OL, and the O improves enough to have won a few more games this year (even with the horrible defensive showing).

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Nate Woody was here, and Collins let him go. Woody would (and should) laugh in Collins face, if offered. And why on earth would he come back anyway, knowing that once again, it would probably be only for one year?
It’ll be longer. We are going to win about 4-6 games next season. That will be seen as progress. and Collins stays and probably gets a a contract with no buyout or small buyout on the extension part.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
We can win ball games with Patenaude's offense but we can't with Thacker's defense. It's time to find someone competent on the defensive side of the ball immediately. You can figure out the offense later once the bleeding has stopped. I'd let Key go as well and get a dedicated offensive line coach.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
It’ll be longer. We are going to win about 4-6 games next season. That will be seen as progress. and Collins stays and probably gets a a contract with no buyout or small buyout on the extension part.
4 wins won’t be enough. 5 maybe. 6 definitely. And I’m good with a 1 year extension if he gets us to 6 wins, but that buyout needs to remain the same.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
My understanding is that Patenaude and Collins don't get along........so I expect him to go.
Your understanding comes from no credible source whatsoever. Cafe on the corner maybe? Did you hear about it on a Thursday? There’s enough crap going around without Tech “fans” making up more crap.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Several of the handful of CPJ recruits that play a lot populate the defensive backfield. That seems to be the part of the team that has regressed the most. Getting rid of them as they move on may help as much as firing Thacker. The effort in the secondary has been awful the second half of the season.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
We can win ball games with Patenaude's offense but we can't with Thacker's defense. It's time to find someone competent on the defensive side of the ball immediately. You can figure out the offense later once the bleeding has stopped. I'd let Key go as well and get a dedicated offensive line coach.
Pretty much this. Collins should have focused his rebuild on establishing the defense; but instead it looks like he focused on offense. Defense may not win championships like it did a decade ago; but you won't win much of anything without it. Defense and special teams should have been the focus 3 years ago while the offense developed; but our D and special teams are both atrocious.

The problem now is that some good DC's will be looking at Collins' job and will be trying to submarine him like O'leary did Lewis. Maybe that is not a bad thing if TStan can find a DC that has HC potential and force such a guy on CGC.

I think Pnope stays. He'll be the new Sewak. Maybe we'll get a competent OL and Pnope will start looking competent as a result (I keep having to remind myself that Pnope isn't responsible for Key and OL).

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
The offense has shown some signs of improvement from year 1 but we still can't get a play run before having to call time our 2 or 3 times a game. Then out of the timeout we can't run a play without a penalty. These basic things are drive killers and unacceptable. I'd prefer we replace both coordinators.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Pretty much this. Collins should have focused his rebuild on establishing the defense; but instead it looks like he focused on offense. Defense may not win championships like it did a decade ago; but you won't win much of anything without it. Defense and special teams should have been the focus 3 years ago while the offense developed; but our D and special teams are both atrocious.

The problem now is that some good DC's will be looking at Collins' job and will be trying to submarine him like O'leary did Lewis. Maybe that is not a bad thing if TStan can find a DC that has HC potential and force such a guy on CGC.

I think Pnope stays. He'll be the new Sewak. Maybe we'll get a competent OL and Pnope will start looking competent as a result (I keep having to remind myself that Pnope isn't responsible for Key and OL).
Key is the new Sewak.