Patenaude

It's exceedingly simple here and I'm not clear why y'all are spending so much time bellyaching on it.
  • Only two teams in Div1 have fewer seniors than us. OL is one of the most developmental positions on the team.
  • Zero OL signees in 2019.
  • Only three OL signees in 2018.
  • Our best OL transferred and is starting at Texas.
  • Two OL starters promptly went down with injury against USF.
Prepare yourselves for a long year in that regard. Were CPJ still here, and we still gave up 500 yards per game but stopped running for 600 ourselves, I think we'd find ourselves talking about hiring Geoff Collins. We'll get there but it's going to take time for the OL to grow up. I hope the staff are looking hard for grad transfers for 2020 at C, OG, OT. Starting true freshmen on the OL rarely works out well. 2021 is when we'll really be able to gauge this unit. Even then, it will be a young unit.

It's exceedingly simple here and I'm not clear why y'all are spending so much time bellyaching on it.
  • Only two teams in Div1 have fewer seniors than us. OL is one of the most developmental positions on the team.
Prepare yourselves for a long year in that regard. Were CPJ still here, and we still gave up 500 yards per game but stopped running for 600 ourselves, I think we'd find ourselves talking about hiring Geoff Collins. We'll get there but it's going to take time for the OL to grow up. I hope the staff are looking hard for grad transfers for 2020 at C, OG, OT. Starting true freshmen on the OL rarely works out well. 2021 is when we'll really be able to gauge this unit. Even then, it will be a young unit.

This. We have a chance to be really good in 2020. But need to reel in a transfer or two on both lines and get lucky with eligibility. Transfer portal could make this “rebuild” only last 1 season.

Yep. Like a poor man's Jimbo Fisher situation. Knew the cupboard was bare and the OL was depleted.

Has most talented defensive roster since ‘08, returns deepest option QB depth chart in his career, retires because cupboard is bare. Sounds legit.

Our offense would be stout with a spread option style offense. So to say CPJ retired b/c the “cupboard is bare” is dumb dumb dumb. But I’d agree that the OL depth chart is clearly not suited for what we’re trying to do.

And I’m okay with that. I’d still rather go through growing pains and continue to paint the new brand. It’ll pay off bigger in the long run.

I think a lot of folks forget (or didn't know) that CPJ started as a defensive coach. I'm guessing he would have been pretty good at it.

But it seems to me, exceptions notwithstanding, that OCs get more promotions to HC than DCs do.

A lot of people don’t know that he started coaching without ever playing the game.

It’ll happen faster then you think

You’re missing my point, which is simply that it’s logical to assume it’ll take at least roughly the same period of time it took Paul Johnson to transition the offense from pro style to 3O for this coaching staff to transition it back from 3O to pro style.

I did miss that and I agree with you.

It’ll happen faster then you think

I hope you're right. I just don't think it's fair to jump all over Patenaude at this point, except for a few boneheaded play calls in key situations. The gaping hole in our OL (3 signees in 2 years, really?) is a far bigger problem to inherit than the QBs being option-style, and he's doing what he can with the tools he has. I think we actually have a fairly good stable of QBs who just need to be QBs instead of compensating for having defenders in their faces on every play.

There's a reason we have 6 OLs committed for 2020 and only 1 pro-style QB.

A lot of people don’t know that he started coaching without ever playing the game.
It’s almost like you have an ax to grind with PJ.

I’m fine admitting that anytime you have new leadership come in, there’s going to be bumps in the road. But it doesn’t really help to blame the old guy. Sounds like Obama blaming Bush for the economy.

That was before we lost 3 starting OL.

Sadly, our grad transfer this year might be the most disappointing of the bunch.

So was all that preseason chatter about us having plenty of "football players" that weren't necessarily only qualified for the OBS nothing more than coachspeak?:naughty:

If pointed at me, I think we've got a decent QB in there somewhere and capable WRs and an All American punter, along with a capable secondary. I had OL and DL concerns all along.

I just wonder if these injuries keep mounting, will some of the more-rabid old-schoolers give CGC the same pass given in 2015?

So was all that preseason chatter about us having plenty of "football players" that weren't necessarily only qualified for the OBS nothing more than coachspeak?:naughty:

Yes, I think it was and that is a fair criticism. We needed a grad transfer at QB but honestly why would a good QB come to the program at this point in time. We have to build a base first and the base it going to take time.

Collins is trying to do 2 primary things with his always positive message: 1) sell the program to the recruits, fanbase and new fans. He wants it to be a program that recruits/fans are excited about no matter what happens on the field. I expect he knows on field results are likely to be poor 2) Make sure the current players are engaged and don't desert or give up on the program; he needs them to buy-in so that they can help the new freshmen buy-in and ingrain the culture.

Change is hard, if the fanbase makes Collins' job harder by telling him, "you have to do it our way" then it will delay the process and harm the results.

If pointed at me, I think we've got a decent QB in there somewhere and capable WRs and an All American punter, along with a capable secondary. I had OL and DL concerns all along.

I just wonder if these injuries keep mounting, will some of the more-rabid old-schoolers give CGC the same pass given in 2015?

Seems not; at this point, they aren't even given him a pass for being bad on one side of the ball.

Sadly, our grad transfer this year might be the most disappointing of the bunch.

I mean he was a grad transfer from Vanderbilt who had some experience in games and made some start's it wasn't like he was going to be all conference but yeah he's looked the part of a part time player at a SEC bottom feeder school

Back