Patenaude's Offense

Discussion in 'Football' started by EastboundJacket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Hopefully, but it's been happening against Clemson for years now.

2. ChadWins

ChadWins Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I just each and everyone of you realize that collins Inherited a roster full of junk QBs. They know what the deal is. These coaches are going to be positive but they know we suck at that position. I'm not going to start with O line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  3. ScionOfSouthland

ScionOfSouthland Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Empire City of the South
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Defense was spotty but had flashes. Linebackers and d line will take a couple years to improve. We also had 4 turnovers tonight, most of them on the short side of the field. Defense got booty blasted but appears to be further along than the offense at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  4. G776T

G776T Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Jackets
    I would assume it's to recruit more QBs like JG but we put him in with the 3rd team O

5. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    James Graham who chose us over VT because he didn't want to move to CB, WR, or whatever they were planning to do with him?

These are all guys recruited to play the TO. The other major schools after them eyed them as athletes, not quarterbacks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. beej67

beej67 new around here

Loc:
    the smouldering hellscape of east cobb
    Team:
    GT
    Thx. Saved me from having to watch the replay.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  7. rghoae

rghoae Flats Noob

Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    When was the last time we actually had a death march?

2014? Even then the death march had become a major fumble risk.

Frankly, the death march died when the downfield blocking rules were changed that made the long run for a TD impossible. The way teams started defending it was to let us get our 3-4 yards per play, and then hope, usually to good effect, that within the 20-25 plays needed to score a TD we would either fumble, or pull a false start/negative play on a toss sweep, that would kill the drive.

Without the threat of the long TD run that could come at any time, thanks to the rule changes, the death march had become obsolete.

• Like Like x 1
  8. txsting

txsting Elite level sh*tposting

Loc:
    Knoxville, TN
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Well, we did kill off the Miami game and over 6 minutes of clock, last year, to great effect. That was a proud march.

9. floridajacket

floridajacket The Real DB Cooper

Loc:
    Not Florida
    Team:
    The Jackets
    The D had some great flashes, until the DL was just overmatched against Clemson's OL. I feel like more TFLs happened on screen passes Clemson tried to do at first.

The offense went about as expected. Who would have been the non-triple-option playcaller genius enough to get offensive production against Clemson? The pieces aren't there or aren't ready yet, at least against Clemson's level of talent.

I did find it funny though how Venables basically went with the same "I'm going to make you pass bitch" defense when Oliver was in the game.

10. THWG247

THWG247 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Temple, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Who recruited them again? CGC inherited a sh!tsandwich roster

11. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    That is a hard stat to look up; but Marshall (45), Oliver (65), Mason (46), Howard (52), Cottrell (34), and Searcy (56) all had at least one run for over 30 yards last season.

12. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    None of our QBs had P5 offers as QBs, not even Yates (he probably should have, though). Tuck Gleason is the type we want. Pocket passer with good mobility and a pretty tough runner. But pocket passer is the key requirement.

We tried for several grad transfer QBs, but none wanted to spend their last year of eligibility in a transitional offense. We are trying to make the best of what we have. Yates is the closest we have to what we want on the roster, but he isn't ready.

13. WracerX

WracerX Dr. Dunkingstein

Loc:
    Somewhere in the early 80's
    Team:
    GT
    Petrino would have had some under center plays, so he would have at least 1 more td from this group.

RichRod would have been better too.

Meyer/mullen style guys would have been better.

All air raid and west coast coaches would have done worse.

Canada and Fedora would have probably done about the same in game 1.

14. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yeah, I suspect the staff really hoped to get a grad transfer, but asking an established QB to spend his final year on a team in flux was probably a hard sell. As it stands, I think we will try to stretch the limits of what our current QB corps can do, with Gleason very much in the mix to play as a true freshman next year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. samsgt02

samsgt02 Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    Sandy Springs
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Your basing this on Petrino, Meyer, Rich Rod, and Mullen taking over triple option offenses with their first game in their new offense full of suqare pegs for round holes, that also happens to be going up against the no. 1 (proven) team in the country?

16. WracerX

WracerX Dr. Dunkingstein

Loc:
    Somewhere in the early 80's
    Team:
    GT
    Yes.

Three of those guys systems are better fits for what we have. The fourth, Petrino, would have had an under center short down set.

I’ll add, Paul Johnson using a playcard calling plays from the pistol diamond formation would have done better. Also Cutcliff would have done better.

No one would have won. I’ll give the OC a few games before I judge. But nothing in that game was special on O.

17. ncjacket

ncjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    No it's to recruit more QBs like Gleason our commit from FL. Check his measureables vs who we have now.

18. FLTech

FLTech Banned (Temporary) Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    Florida
    Team:
    GT
    i think we will be fine.. It was Clemson, in Clemson. It had to be pretty intimidating for the guys

19. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    Do we think it makes sense to add another QB in the upcoming class? I’m high on Gleason, but we need more of a passing threat and I wonder if we are putting too many eggs in that basket.

20. Techbert

Techbert Dodd-Like

I didn't feel like we were intimidated, save for possibly (and possibly not) the muffed punt.