per AJC: significant announcement for GT football

My day is ruined, what the öööö
It really doesn't get any worse than being a GT fan

All this over $312 worth of fashion tee's and a watch... The NCAA is nonsense.

So, we're being punished, as beej said, for "not punishing ourselves" and failure to cooperate. Given this, do we really have any chance at all in winning an appeal?

And what does probation amount to if not a reduction in scholarships or postseason ban?

Can't wait for CPJ and DRAD to drop the bomb on the NCAA.....4:30 conf should be interesting!!!

On Friday, April 15, 2011, officials from the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) and the former head men’s basketball coach, accompanied by his legal counsel, appeared before the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions to address allegations of NCAA violations in the football and men’s basketball programs. This case was very troubling to the committee in a number of respects.

What the öööö Hewitt?!

From GT's self-imposed actions (Appendix 2):

Men’s Basketball:
 The institution was prepared to suspend the former head men’s basketball coach for the first contest of the 2011-12 men’s basketball season, but his contract was not renewed following the conclusion of the 2010-11 season.

So, we're being punished, as beej said, for "not punishing ourselves" and failure to cooperate. Given this, do we really have any chance at all in winning an appeal?

And what does probation amount to if not a reduction in scholarships or postseason ban?

Good question. I think probation just means we need to keep our noses especially clean. If not, we get more serious penalties. Sucks too since we were almost out of the woods with the 2005 bullshit. But I agree - all this over $312 when other programs are getting away with much worse?!

From GT's self-imposed actions (Appendix 2):

Men’s Basketball:
 The institution was prepared to suspend the former head men’s basketball coach for the first contest of the 2011-12 men’s basketball season, but his contract was not renewed following the conclusion of the 2010-11 season.

 Declared a football student-athlete ineligible until $74 dollars was paid to a charity of his choice. The student-athlete has donated the funds and has since been reinstated.

 Issued a cease and desist letter from the director of athletics. to a representative of the institution’s athletics interest.

Back