Player Development under CGC

GoGATech

Big Dummy
We're currently ranked 81st nationally at 5.9 defensive yards per play.

Here are previous years:

2018: 6.1
2017: 5.6
2016: 5.7
2015: 5.9
2014: 6.2
2013: 5.6
2012: 5.7
2011: 5.5
2010: 5.8
2009: 6.1
2008: 4.9

That's surprising to me. I would have thought we were doing better this year, but it appears to be about the same.
Where did you pull your stats? I got mine from https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/ and some of ours don't match up.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden

Here are previous years:

That's surprising to me. I would have thought we were doing better this year, but it appears to be about the same.
How to identify a meaningless statistic 101.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan

Here are previous years:

I’d like to see stats of quarter by quarter defensive yards as well as that stat relating to time of possession.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
A few things:

1) The rumor on Wells is he isn’t kicking well at all. Some said that even in pre-game warmups he is missing everything.

2) J.Thomas is hurt; he hurt his hand and was wearing a heavy cast. There is no way he could return kicks with that cast. I didn’t notice if he was still wearing that cast against UNC. Also, Oliver has been a good KR so they might prefer to use him anyway and have Thomas focus on Defense.

3) Curry: I think Curry was much better last year than you guys remember. He was one of our better defenders on a bad defense. He is a step slow to cover RBs out of the back field so depending on the scheme he sometimes looks bad but he has always been a good tackler and good against the run and is good in space. He doesn’t always get off blocks great but he is a good defender and has been.

4) We had a truly awful defensive game against Clemson and that is skewing our stats. I think at the end of the year if you sort the games by Y/P, we will have a lot better defensive games in 2019 than we did in 2018.

5) UNC was awful from a 3rd down POV but Y/P wasn’t awful.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
To Answer the OP:

Tre Swilling has been playing a lot better
Walton is playing great
Charlie Thomas transitioned to a new position and is making a ton of plays

Carpenter was pretty good last year so I'm not sure if he has shown a ton of development

On offense: I think the WRs are doing better and making plays they wouldn't have last year.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I do think we're playing better on defense, but also consider that we lost 3 Sr DL and 1 Jr DL since last year. So maintaining the same YPP as last year is good, however abysmal the stat is

The improvement will be incremental until we have more talent

I think Curry has improved too but it was going to happen regardless. The guy has a special sort of drive and intensity, must be genetic

Tariq Carpenter is a badass and future NFLer

User 10337

Here are previous years:

A good homework assignment would be to get the stats of points per drive rather than yards per play.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
And you can directly compare that to other defenses against common opponents, so it's pretty useful I'd say.
Seems about as worthwhile as comparing the square footage of the defensive coordinators' respective shirts.

johncu

Dodd-Like
A good homework assignment would be to get the stats of points per drive rather than yards per play.
I think defensive and offensive efficiency are much better stats. Football Outsiders does a great job with their OFEI and DFEI stats, but they don't release it until the beginning of Week 7 when there's enough data. It takes into account things like opponent offense/defense quality and garbage time points to give you a much more useful number. FYI we're ranked 104th in Overall FEI (FCS stats don't count).

What I've noticed in previous years is that our offense was typically even better than total or scoring offense numbers would suggest because we didn't run as many plays and we convert third downs well (although not the last 2 seasons).

On the flipside, our defense has been even worse than scoring or total defense stats show, because our opponents got fewer drives and we couldn't get off the field on third down.

I'm curious to see how the numbers look this season. Since we struggle so much to move the chains, I'm thinking our offensive efficiency will look terrible. Our defense has been on the field a LOT, so I'm thinking those numbers will look a little better, although our third down defense isn't doing us any favors.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I think defensive and offensive efficiency are much better stats. Football Outsiders does a great job with their OFEI and DFEI stats, but they don't release it until the beginning of Week 7 when there's enough data. It takes into account things like opponent offense/defense quality and garbage time points to give you a much more useful number. FYI we're ranked 104th in Overall FEI (FCS stats don't count).

What I've noticed in previous years is that our offense was typically even better than total or scoring offense numbers would suggest because we didn't run as many plays and we convert third downs well (although not the last 2 seasons).

On the flipside, our defense has been even worse than scoring or total defense stats show, because our opponents got fewer drives and we couldn't get off the field on third down.

I'm curious to see how the numbers look this season. Since we struggle so much to move the chains, I'm thinking our offensive efficiency will look terrible. Our defense has been on the field a LOT, so I'm thinking those numbers will look a little better, although our third down defense isn't doing us any favors.
So what are the stats/numbers on that page if they are not "released"?

xenoabe

Flats Noob
The biggest areas I want to see improvement from are the lines. Unfortunately, I don't think the talent is quite there to see the level of improvement we'd really like to see.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
One thing to factor into the defensive performance is that our previous offense sheltered them (fewer possessions) while the current offense is doing anything but that. I think the defense is in good hands with CGC/Thacker. Throw Adams/Clayton onto this DL and we’d be one of the better units in the conference.

We’ve just been decimated by seemingly every possible way at the two position groups we couldn’t afford losses at. OL/DL.

User 10337

I like Football Outsiders stuff. I'm not particularly sold on advanced stats in football however. There's just not enough data points and too much variability between teams/common opponents/etc. They're not useless and play a role, I guess.