POLL: What is the probability we beat Boston College in 2016

What is the probability we beat Boston College in 2016

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I may be wrong but I think if the call on the field is "he was out at the 35", you can't overturn that on replay and give him a gain to the 40 even if he wasn't really out, because the play was dead as soon as he was ruled out.

Of course, if that was their rationale then there never should have been a review in the first place, so either way they're dumb. He was obviously in though.
By that rationale it should have been a late hit and still a first down

By that rationale it should have been a late hit and still a first down

Nah, because the ball carrier kept running as though he was in, and the whistle probably hadn't blown until right before the hit occurred -- you can see the guy who delivered the hit clearly tried to let up in the middle of it. If you watch the ref, it takes a second or two after our guy stepped "out of bounds" for him to start waving his arms and running to the spot. I guess he wanted to be extra careful to get the call right (lol).

The ball is still dead where he was ruled out though, even if the whistle comes a second or two late; it's not like with fumbles where a clear recovery after the whistle can count upon replay.

Nah, because the ball carrier kept running as though he was in, and the whistle probably hadn't blown until right before the hit occurred -- you can see the guy who delivered the hit clearly tried to let up in the middle of it. If you watch the ref, it takes a second or two after our guy stepped "out of bounds" for him to start waving his arms and running to the spot. I guess he wanted to be extra careful to get the call right (lol).

The ball is still dead where he was ruled out though, even if the whistle comes a second or two late; it's not like with fumbles where a clear recovery after the whistle can count upon replay.

Either he was ruled out and the play was dead or he wasn't ruled out.. They call late hits now as the guy is going out of bounds way before any whistle

Either he was ruled out and the play was dead or he wasn't ruled out.. They call late hits now as the guy is going out of bounds way before any whistle

Well, you can see the ref calling him out and the replay was "stands as called", resulting in fourth down, so he was definitely ruled out on the field. So you're arguing that it should have been a late hit?

That seems very suspect to me. I agree that sometimes late hits are called before the whistle, but that's almost always when the runner is clearly out or clearly going out. In this case everyone thought he was still in, including the runner himself, who was fighting for more yards. You never see a late hit called in that type of situation.

Again, obviously the wrong call on the field, but once the runner is ruled out on the field no more yards can be awarded in replay, and I think that calling a late hit there is crazy.

Well, you can see the ref calling him out and the replay was "stands as called", resulting in fourth down, so he was definitely ruled out on the field. So you're arguing that it should have been a late hit?

That seems very suspect to me. I agree that sometimes late hits are called before the whistle, but that's almost always when the runner is clearly out or clearly going out. In this case everyone thought he was still in, including the runner himself, who was fighting for more yards. You never see a late hit called in that type of situation.

Again, obviously the wrong call on the field, but once the runner is ruled out on the field no more yards can be awarded in replay, and I think that calling a late hit there is crazy.
Don't see why you can't give him more yards if people are still tackling him

We are a 3.5 point favorite. 3.5 favorites win 61.3% of the time.

upload_2016-7-31_18-20-21.jpeg

Don't see why you can't give him more yards if people are still tackling him

Because that's the rule. They put in a special exception for clear fumble recoveries that happen after the whistle, but other than that if a play is ruled dead nothing after counts. I suppose it's because they don't want people to keep playing after every whistle just in case it was wrong.

Because that's the rule. They put in a special exception for clear fumble recoveries that happen after the whistle, but other than that if a play is ruled dead nothing after counts. I suppose it's because they don't want people to keep playing after every whistle just in case it was wrong.
But there was no whistle

But there was no whistle

Right, but with respect to yardage, it's where he was ruled down, not when the actual whistle blew. Here's the pertinent rule from the NCAA rulebook:

g. Ball carrier in or out of bounds. If a ball carrier is ruled out of bounds, the play is not reviewable, except as in Rules 12-3-1-a and 12-3-3-d.

With the exceptions being looking to see if the ball was past the first down marker or across the goal line at the point he was ruled down.

It's dealt with in more detail in the examples section:

The second situation involves a player not ruled down or not ruled out of bounds and is given an advance by the officials. We can always look at whether the player should have been down by rule or out of bounds prior to the advance. If the officials rule the player down or out of bounds we can only look at the position of the ball at that point in relation to the line to gain or the goal line. The one exception is if the runner is ruled out of bounds but crosses the opponent’s goal line in the immediate continuing action after the ruling.

In fact, they even have this exact situation, where the runner kept running and people kept tackling anyway:

Second and 10 at the A-10. During A22’s run near the sideline, the HL rules that he stepped out of bounds at the A-16, but A22 continues to run and is knocked out of bounds at the 50. Replays show that A22 did not step out at the A-16. Ruling: Not reviewable, as the play is dead when the runner is ruled out of bounds. A 3-4 on A-16 (Rule 12-3-3-g).

So because he was ruled out, nothing that comes after is reviewable -- the most they could do is look at where the ball is at the point he was ruled to have stepped out of bounds.

https://cfo.arbitersports.com/Groups/104777/Library/files/FBC13.pdf

We win big plain and simple..........if by any chance we dont.........well the season will not be as much fun as we wold like it to be.

Back