Positives and Comments

Positive: the team arrived at YJA on time. Good job Collins. CPJ would show up whenever he felt like it. You could set your watch to GOL

Another positive. Even the coverage failure on the long pass, (Carpenter?) ran the receiver down and tackled at the 1, leading to the goal line stand.
I credit our defensive staff AND our strength and conditioning staff for the receiver getting caught and for us making a stand leading to the "Jasper Sanks rides again" fumble.
If we were a half step slower over a 40 yards, it is a USF score. If we didn't have the off season strength and conditioning gains at the goal line, they punch it in. This S&C staff will create magnificent improvements over the next several years.
I know we are only in game 2 of this season, and I expect there will be struggles, but years 2, 3 and onward we are going to see a stifling defense. We get some big bodies on the DL. Knight played great for a freshman. He will be another Phillip Wheeler or better.

We will be a defensive juggernaut while Collins is here. We all knew it or at least should have known it.

The QB stuff on offense is probably just trying to keep the peace following the coaching change. As well as the kicker thing. Nothing is given on this team and it’s easiest to hold your kicker accountable versus another actual player. It’s about changing the culture. CPJ was faithful to the depth chart to a fault at times and I think it bred complacency amongst the backups and only exacerbated our depth problems.

Anyone else want to see Camp get a shot at TE? He's a big dude.

Another positive. Even the coverage failure on the long pass, (Carpenter?) ran the receiver down and tackled at the 1, leading to the goal line stand.
I credit our defensive staff AND our strength and conditioning staff for the receiver getting caught and for us making a stand leading to the "Jasper Sanks rides again" fumble.
If we were a half step slower over a 40 yards, it is a USF score. If we didn't have the off season strength and conditioning gains at the goal line, they punch it in. This S&C staff will create magnificent improvements over the next several years.
I know we are only in game 2 of this season, and I expect there will be struggles, but years 2, 3 and onward we are going to see a stifling defense. We get some big bodies on the DL. Knight played great for a freshman. He will be another Phillip Wheeler or better.

Remember in 2014 when we had a TON of these plays?

Forcing a fumble against Nick Chubb on the goal line after Chris Milton tracked down Sony Michel.

Same type thing happened against Pitt that year too.

You’ve got to have those effort plays to separate yourself from the opposition.

We will be a defensive juggernaut while Collins is here. We all knew it or at least should have known it.

The QB stuff on offense is probably just trying to keep the peace following the coaching change. As well as the kicker thing. Nothing is given on this team and it’s easiest to hold your kicker accountable versus another actual player. It’s about changing the culture. CPJ was faithful to the depth chart to a fault at times .

PJ held his players accountable. But, he’d also play favorites.
I’m loving the best player plays attitude.

Still pissed about the hold on the long QB run USF had out of the shadow of the North end zone. He would have been tackled easily for a slight loss or no gain had it not been for USF'S left tackle grabbing and holding our DL on the play.

Ran Oliver under center near the goal line this game rather than from the shotgun, so that was nice

Ran Oliver under center near the goal line this game rather than from the shotgun, so that was nice
Yes, but it was a rushed, confusing play.

I want to know when the jumbo package comes out. It was said there was plays practiced with a DL in at FB

Still pissed about the hold on the long QB run USF had out of the shadow of the North end zone. He would have been tackled easily for a slight loss or no gain had it not been for USF'S left tackle grabbing and holding our DL on the play.
Yeah, that was pissing me off, too.

The 404 tailgate seemed to need work. We went by it and there was a sizable line. Need to separate alcohol line from food/regular beverage line.

I believe the newness of our entire staff, from AD down, is starting to show.

what to do at QB?
There was a point in the game when I said to myself that it’s too bad we didn’t have this OC when Calvin was here. But we do not have a QB.
I think we either run the option with Oliver or keep Oliver on the field with Lucas.

Mason is fantastic. Wow!
Brown is good but made two freshman mistakes in the 4th qtr.
Davis is ok. Freshman tight end should sit.
We have no WR, so why throw the ball often.
We really should try and shorten the games this year and run.

Good points but I think at some point our QB's need to be given an opportunity to take a shot downfield. The fact that we appear to be one dimensional on offense doesn't help our offense IMO. At least present the opposing D an illusion of throwing the deep ball to keep them honest.

The 404 tailgate seemed to need work. We went by it and there was a sizable line. Need to separate alcohol line from food/regular beverage line.

I believe the newness of our entire staff, from AD down, is starting to show.

The couple who sits next to me went -said the food wasn’t readily available when the thing started -and there was seating for maybe a couple of dozen people.

Not sure how I feel about this given that Wells has never missed a kick in an actual game.

Agreed. Some guys just aren't "practice" players, but come game time it's a new day. Hopefully coaches take those kinds of intangibles into consideration when making personnel decisions.

The couple who sits next to me went -said the food wasn’t readily available when the thing started -and there was seating for maybe a couple of dozen people.
Yes, we were just curious. Small canopies set up next to the larger Letterman's event. Not much seating. Looked kind of half assed done like it was put out to low bidder

Edited to add: "the way you do anything is the way you do everything"

The only way King could have missed that FG attempt any further was to have hit the Wreck with it.

Maybe the goal posts weren't stationary at the time of the kick, and nobody noticed except the kicker. :dunno:

Back