Post game discussion @uva

Think I'll get drunk now.
20231104_215949.jpg
I'll bring the cigars.

So, I slept on it and have a thought about the defense: 3rd down conversion % is the biggest thing separating us from decent defense.

On the season, we're ranked 120th in 3rd down defense at a whopping 0.468 opponent conversion rate prior to yesterday. Yesterday, we held them to 0.250. Even SC State was converting 3rd downs better than that. It's hard to say whether there's a correlation between # of 3rd down attempts forced and whether you're a good defense, for example Iowa has forced 140 while UGA has forced 100. We're at 111. What that does say, though, is that we aren't anomalous in terms of getting opponents to 3rd down. Defensively, we've given up ~21 yards per opponent first down and 1.6 first downs per every 3rd down attempt. So, we're giving up ~115 ypg in excessive yardage due to poor 3rd down performance. With that correction, we'd be squarely middle of the pack in defensive yardage (and nearly dead on the exact # of yards we gave up yesterday).

If I were Kevin Sherrer and I wanted to be DC next year, I'd be doing everything I could to fix the third down problem. Yesterday's defensive performance came down to that one statistic. Personally, I think that's the area UVA has struggled in all year so that was more about them than us in yesterday's game, but we need to make it about us.

Some good stats in here

Here’s one:
The win was Georgia Tech’s first at Virginia since 2013 and only its third victory in 16 games at Scott Stadium since the Yellow Jackets’ historic 41-38 triumph over top-ranked Virginia in 1990. The Jackets moved to 5-14-1 all-time at UVA.
4-0 when forcing multiple defensive turnovers. Explains why we're so erratic, since turnovers tend to come in spurts. Not a reliable strategy to win, but a good way to lose by giving them up.

4-0 when forcing multiple defensive turnovers. Explains why we're so erratic, since turnovers tend to come in spurts. Not a reliable strategy to win, but a good way to lose by giving them up.

Bingo. Past turnovers are a terrible predictor of future turnovers and we can't lose sight of the fact we were +3 yesterday. Great win, but if we had been -3 it still could have gone the other way. We need to be holding teams to 2 yards on first down instead of 7 yards, avoiding penalties, and taking better tackling angles on 3rd downs.

Sherrer needs to show us improvement if he wants the DC job next year. Turnover mayhem is how Thacker got another shot at the job (#15 in 2022) and look how that worked out.

nice. Did cavman pass you the grey poupon after we delivered the beatdown?
It’s CavGirl now, but possibly she is transitioning into Cavman. Wait, maybe it’s the other way around....

So, I slept on it and have a thought about the defense: 3rd down conversion % is the biggest thing separating us from decent defense.

On the season, we're ranked 120th in 3rd down defense at a whopping 0.468 opponent conversion rate prior to yesterday. Yesterday, we held them to 0.250. Even SC State was converting 3rd downs better than that. It's hard to say whether there's a correlation between # of 3rd down attempts forced and whether you're a good defense, for example Iowa has forced 140 while UGA has forced 100. We're at 111. What that does say, though, is that we aren't anomalous in terms of getting opponents to 3rd down. Defensively, we've given up ~21 yards per opponent first down and 1.6 first downs per every 3rd down attempt. So, we're giving up ~115 ypg in excessive yardage due to poor 3rd down performance. With that correction, we'd be squarely middle of the pack in defensive yardage (and nearly dead on the exact # of yards we gave up yesterday).

If I were Kevin Sherrer and I wanted to be DC next year, I'd be doing everything I could to fix the third down problem. Yesterday's defensive performance came down to that one statistic. Personally, I think that's the area UVA has struggled in all year so that was more about them than us in yesterday's game, but we need to make it about us.
3rd and Tech is a real thing. The most frustrating part of our games.

Some good stats in here

Here’s one:
The win was Georgia Tech’s first at Virginia since 2013 and only its third victory in 16 games at Scott Stadium since the Yellow Jackets’ historic 41-38 triumph over top-ranked Virginia in 1990. The Jackets moved to 5-14-1 all-time at UVA.
This is a better stat:

By beating UVA yesterday, Tech now has won 5 straight ACC road games!

GO JACKETS!

Back