Practice? We Talking About Practice?

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Well, yeah, I want to talk about practice.

I've seen several comments that point to the way that CGC runs football practices as a possible source of some of our issues. I haven't been to a lot of practices - I went to one during his first year when they invited faculty/staff to attend, and it had the DJ, Calvin Johnson was there, etc. To my untrained eye, it looked like what I'd expect a practice to look like - warmups, position group drills, some situational scrimmage stuff - with a little more "hype" and fun added in. I also went to the open practice at BDS this fall, and minus the DJ, it seemed similar (maybe with more emphasis on the scrimmaging).

How is what Collins does different from what's "normal"? Are the practice complaints based on actual knowledge of what Collins does (currently in 2021) vs what other coaches do, or just on assumptions or hearsay?

I'm curious to know what we might be doing wrong that could lead to the poor performance that we're seeing on the field, especially for the defense.

JRjr

I've seen several comments that point to the way that CGC runs football practices as a possible source of some of our issues. I haven't been to a lot of practices - I went to one during his first year when they invited faculty/staff to attend, and it had the DJ, Calvin Johnson was there, etc. To my untrained eye, it looked like what I'd expect a practice to look like - warmups, position group drills, some situational scrimmage stuff - with a little more "hype" and fun added in. I also went to the open practice at BDS this fall, and minus the DJ, it seemed similar (maybe with more emphasis on the scrimmaging).

How is what Collins does different from what's "normal"? Are the practice complaints based on actual knowledge of what Collins does (currently in 2021) vs what other coaches do, or just on assumptions or hearsay?

I'm curious to know what we might be doing wrong that could lead to the poor performance that we're seeing on the field, especially for the defense.

JRjr
If Kick ball is played during official NCAA allotted practice hours I have a huge issue.

If it’s “hey let’s hang around after practice and play kickball” then I dont have an issue

Last edited:

JRjr
He needs to teach discipline, his teams are out of control.

JRjr
First year practices were absolutely chaotic with a focus on getting more reps for everyone for the sake of getting reps, very little stopping and coaching during practice. Also, the focus was more on individual drills vs team scrimmage relatively speaking. Our team scrimmages also had less focus on first team, second team, etc. and as such less practice time as cohesive units. There's been plenty of posters saying that this has continued. I do not know for sure it's continued, but we're clearly doing something different based on the lack of cohesion and number of missed assignments.

We look like FSU under Willie or, more close to home, like we're the football equivalent of Paul Hewitt teams in a sport where recruiting takes longer to have appreciable effect.

Whatever happened to that bullshit waste of time and money where we paid some consultant to come in and help our players design personal logos? Are they the idiots responsible for WIN21 and the dumb crown logo, or is that cluster on someone we pay as an AA employee?

It seems that the whole staff plays good cop, you have to have somebody play bad cop, without critique you won’t get better.

JRjr
I’m not an FBS coach. But our fundamentals across the board—-pass protection, QB check downs at LOS, QB decisions, WR routes, defensive alignment, understanding of zone responsibilities, all the way down to punt and kickoff coverage stink. So either the coaches don’t understand the fundamentals themselves and/or they are unable to teach them during our so called “practices”.

I’m wondering why we seem to always have so many injuries- especially on the offensive line. Are they hurt in games or
Practice or class rooms(haha)? Are we not physically in shape for Power 5 football? Or, do we not have the talent? Are we just a bunch of overweight nerds?

I’m wondering why we seem to always have so many injuries- especially on the offensive line. Are they hurt in games or
Practice or class rooms(haha)? Are we not physically in shape for Power 5 football? Or, do we not have the talent? Are we just a bunch of overweight nerds?
Some of the offensive line injuries are likely related to depth. Don't have an numbers so can't say with any certainty, just a feeling, but I feel like we generally haven't rotated a lot of offensive linemen in at least for the earlier bulk of this season and not until injuries started to pile up. Could be wrong though.

@vapspwi beat me to this post and I have the same question. My suspicion is the devil is in the details……and we’re not in the details or not focused on the correct details.

Would like to hear feedback from others having more knowledge on how we practice.

I never understood the “ATL”depth chart either. A players depth should be earned in the weight room, film room and on the practice field. Being third string is not a bad thing…it means you have work to do. Goals and aspirations are objective and healthy.

First year practices were absolutely chaotic with a focus on getting more reps for everyone for the sake of getting reps, very little stopping and coaching during practice. Also, the focus was more on individual drills vs team scrimmage relatively speaking. Our team scrimmages also had less focus on first team, second team, etc. and as such less practice time as cohesive units. There's been plenty of posters saying that this has continued. I do not know for sure it's continued, but we're clearly doing something different based on the lack of cohesion and number of missed assignments.

We look like FSU under Willie or, more close to home, like we're the football equivalent of Paul Hewitt teams in a sport where recruiting takes longer to have appreciable effect.
My impression from what others have said (and I could be remembering the details incorrectly) is that the general chaos has gone down but it's still the case of a lot of reps for reps sake and individual drills, with any attempts to do coaching done during film study and position group meetings.

It should be noted that Chan ran a tight ship also. Should have been given more than flunkgate +6. He should have kicked our academic advisors asses

@vapspwi beat me to this post and I have the same question. My suspicion is the devil is in the details……and we’re not in the details or not focused on the correct details.

Would like to hear feedback from others having more knowledge on how we practice.

I never understood the “ATL”depth chart either. A players depth should be earned in the weight room, film room and on the practice field. Being third string is not a bad thing…it means you have work to do. Goals and aspirations are objective and healthy.
ATL is an extension of a participation trophy. And it explains a lot of why we are where we are. Our team sucks but they are having a good time doing it and everyone on the team and staff is special.

The effort/energy it took to make practice more fun/hip should’ve been used to pay more attention to the details that are more likely to help a football team play better.
Practice, practice and more practice (as much as is practical). It instills discipline, promotes maturity, refines skill and reveals 'want to.' Having easy or 'fun' or convenient practice is one of the most boneheaded things you can do.

Back