Pre Spring Practice look at QBs.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Georgia Tech Quarterbacks for Spring 2003

No position has been or will be discussed more than this group. They’re coached by assistant coach Patrick Nix who was the running backs coach in 2002.

The GT QBs in 2002:

Att.-Comp.-Int.
435-239-20

Avg. per pass: 6.3yrds

Avg. per catch: 11.5yrds

Avg. per game: 211.1yrds

TD passes: 15.

As a group in 2002 the QBs had a 54.9 completion percentage This was slightly better than our opposition which had a 53.4 completion percentage. The big area of improvement needed in 2003 needs to come in the interceptions/TD ratio which was 20/15 in 2002.

2003 Spring QB Roster:

# 4- Jarod Alford. 6-2 225lbs. RS FR. Valdosta GA.
Walk-on

# 8- Damarius Bilbo. 6-3 220lbs RS SO. Moss Point Miss.
Played in 8 games in 2002 regular season not standing
beside Coach Gailey. Completing 29 of 67 passes for 487 yards.
Had 3 TDs and 5 interceptions during 2002 regular season, while
he rushed 43 times for 118 yards with two scores. In Silicon
Valley Classic he passed for 178 yards, rushed for 30, and had
2 TDs. Dbo completed 7 of 20 passes and 4 interceptions on the
day.

#10- Brian Camp. 6-1 225lbs. RS SR. Dublin OH.
Played in two games in 2002 against Vandy
and UConn. Has played on special teams. Is
backup holder behind Hal Higgins.

# 1- Al Pena. 6-3 205lbs. FR. Leander TX.
Enrolled at GT winter semester of 2003. SR year in HS Al passed
for 1,600 yards and rushed for 1,200. Had 11 TDs through the
air and 13 on the ground totaling 24 on the year.

#17- A.J. Suggs. 6-4 215lbs. RS SR. Powder Springs GA.
Completed 57.3 percent of his passes for 2,242 yards
with 12 TDs and 15 interceptions.

These are the QBs that will practice this fall who are on the roster now. This group will be joined by Patrick Carter out of FL and Reggie Ball from GA as true freshman in the fall. The starting QB race is said to be wide open.

Go Jackets!

Good overview GTT. I think having Nix work with these guys should be beneficial since he seems to have the ability to connect with the kids because he isn't so far removed from them. I still want to see Bilbo step up and take the reins this year.

The biggest issue will be with getting the WRs and QB on the same page and comfortable with each other. Something that I think was missing last year.

Also, I think the completion percentage was solid last year but a slew of those passes were short routes that skewed the overall numbers. The key will be getting the big play back into the offense. We've got to be a deep threat and get some big plays to make this offense work.

It will be very interesting to see who comes out on top in the spring. Especially if noboby secures the top spot during spring because then the field really opens up with the two additional freshman.

Should be fun.

GTPilot, I couldn't agree more with your statements. Looking at the yards per pass and catch isn't what we're looking for. Even with numbers like we had last year, if you break say three 15 yard passed that are broken for long plays those numbers are much different. I'm not saying that 3 short passes for long plays is a goal. Just making a point. If you put the ball where it should be and when it should be things happen. That's something we didn't see much. Bilbo had the two biggest plays last year in limited action. This is an area we have to improve on, while cutting down on huge mistakes. Have work to do. Think we can get it done. Feel Nix will get it done with the guys on and off the field. That's a key. Feel Geis has a lot of experience in the passing game that will help a great deal in scheming.

This in my mind is the key to our team: QB

Originally posted by GTTerrific:

This in my mind is the key to our team: QB
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm sure we all agree, GTT. And a big element of QB play has nothing to do with stats, it's on-the-field leadership. I wonder if what looked to many like poor coaching was really a lack of field generalship. Actually, I don't "wonder" at all, I'm p-retty sure of it.

belly, I hear ya. Someone has to take charge out there and lead. Someone needs to put this team on their shoulder. The QB is the man to do it.

Ace, I think most of our problems with our WR's
were in the coaching. These are the same receivers that had performed so well in the past that most of us just took them for granted. This may be the area that Geis will help us the most. Hope so. I like the move by Chan to have his coaches take over the positions they played in college. This makes a lot of sense.

Our wr. also had to expose their rib cages way too much with aj's too high passes!!! Bilbo is the man. If not him then just so it's not aj. If it is aj I WON'T be going to ANY games!!

Originally posted by techrod:
Our wr. also had to expose their rib cages way too much with aj's too high passes!!! Bilbo is the man. If not him then just so it's not aj. If it is aj I WON'T be going to ANY games!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh now techrod.
wink.gif
You're going to go and cheer for the Jackets regardless. At least I sure hope you would.
grin.gif

Did you see this down the board? Was posted while you were gone about the guys working out at 6 am to tough'n up the team prior to spring practice.

"All pre-spring ball concetrations have been with Bilbo and Pena. Camp and AJ are acting as helpers with the O."

Here is the link to GTAce posting what 33Jacket posted on the Hive: Click Here

AJ is a team player. He'll do whatever to help the team win. Regardless if he's playing qb or not he still is a huge part of this team. That goes for many others as well. AJ has a lot of knowledge about the game. Glad he is here! He'll help Bilbo and Pena this spring as will Camp. When Carter and Ball get here they'll both be key with them as well.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Bilbo and Pena I'd think have the upper hand. Hope Bilbo's hand is A O K. I know that Ball is one heck of a competitive guy. Don't know as much about Carter, but he sure looked like a great athlete on a little bit of footage.

I'm really looking forward to these guys competing. I'm also very glad AJ and Camp are here to help these guys.

Go Jackets!

We saw what a QB can do for a team with Jones, Hamilton & Godsey. We also saw what the team does without them. Bilbo appears to be able to make the plays that makes the other offensive players take notice. He just needs to do this on a consistent basis. Suggs had a great opportunity, but didn't get there.
Neither QB was helped out by our WRs, other than Kerry Watson, & both would/will be much better with WRs actually catching the ball. Bilbo's yds were seriously hurt by several long drops, as was Suggs'. The WRs could've done so much more last yr.
Pena also has the ability, but with Bilbo having 2 xtra yrs on him, u gotta believe Bilbo can hold off Pena.

No, if aj does start I will not bother myself with my time fooling with fools! Aj made things so frustrating last year that was so promising to start with. I won't go through all the gory details of his inefficiency again. It has been stated over and over enough. That is unless he gets the starting nod. It would be such a hapless and helplessness of football futility that I personally could not stomach. I know he must be a fine young man and his parents are very proud, but a football field is not his cup of tea. Having said that I could be proven wrong and have to eat my words, but I think I have witnessed enough. I would still of course cheer for my jackets but only from afar!

AJ is a team player. He'll do whatever to help the team win. Regardless if he's playing qb or not he still is a huge part of this team. That goes for many others as well. AJ has a lot of knowledge about the game. Glad he is here! He'll help Bilbo and Pena this spring as will Camp. When Carter and Ball get here they'll both be key with them as well.

I'm also very glad AJ and Camp are here to help these guys.

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTT:

I'm also glad to hear AJ is acting like a team player who doesn't want to lose his ship, but do you really believe he has anything to offer these young kids coming up???

I wouldn't let him do more than carry the water bucket and hand out towels in the locker room.

techrod and 71bee, I understand your frustrations for what you see on the field, but both of you are showing a total lack of respect for a GT student athlete.

DO I FEEL AJ HAS SOMETHING TO OFFER OUR YOUNG PLAYERS!? WHY goodness YES I do. AJ is a very mature member of our football team. He has a lot of experience that can go a long way towards getting these younger guys ready. There is much that goes on with a football team on and off the field.

AJ is a member of this team and should be treated as such. If we win he wins. If he wins we win.

I don't think him starting is an option at this time, but that doesn't mean he can't do a great deal to help this team win.

pat.gif

techrod and 71bee, I understand your frustrations for what you see on the field, but both of you are showing a total lack of respect for a GT student athlete.

DO I FEEL AJ HAS SOMETHING TO OFFER OUR YOUNG PLAYERS!? WHY goodness YES I do. AJ is a very mature member of our football team. He has a lot of experience that can go a long way towards getting these younger guys ready. There is much that goes on with a football team on and off the field.

AJ is a member of this team and should be treated as such. If we win he wins. If he wins we win.

I don't think him starting is an option at this time, but that doesn't mean he can't do a great deal to help this team win.

pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTT:

Look I don't want to bash the kid, I'm sure he is a first-class young man and will work hard, study hard, get a degree and enjoy the successes that come from that later in life.

In fact I don't blame him for his failures on the football field. Those are coaching mistakes, for placing him repeatly in a position he could not handle.

But I do think you are overboard with his praises at the source of developing our young kids coming in. Unless I'm really off base, these kids won't be turning to him for help anyway. Now you bring in someone like George Godsey, and the new kids would be all over him.

I have to agree with 71 on Suggs play last year. It was strictly up to the coaches to determine who does and does not play. I doubt you could find a competetive athlete anywhere that would tell the coach, "don't put me in the game, Xxxx Xxxxx is better than I am".

I don't fault Suggs at all for his performance last year. Certainly, I thought he was very erratic and somewhat slow in his actions, but it was the coach/coaches who kept him in the game.

frown.gif

I'm not talking about Sugg's play on the field. I'm talking about him being a team player. He's got a lot more experience than anyone on our team at QB. He can help them. Has nothing to do with what he got done on the field. He's getting up and helping lead 6am work out sections working with Bilbo and Pena now. Regardless of anyone's feeling about how he performed in the past he is still a Yellow Jacket and has a roll on this team. He's already doing a lot more than carrying the water bucket and handing out towels in the locker room.

My statement also had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to play AJ last year.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
but it was the coach/coaches who kept him in the game.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Please don't let's start this again. The coaches can only play people who are on the team. Our QB problem last year started with the recruiting job done by the almighty Fridge

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:
but it was the coach/coaches who kept him in the game.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Please don't let's start this again. The coaches can only play people who are on the team. Our QB problem last year started with the recruiting job done by the almighty Fridge</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hi bellyseries,

I blame the coaches, past and present. Only innocent ones are future.
wink.gif

Belly, it seems we have had this discussion previously.

The question asked to bring about this discussion was, "which is more important, the coach or the talent of the players?".

AHSOISEE:
Since the question was asked! In my opinion, the most important ingredient in team sports is the coach.

In all my years of observing sports, the good coaches win no matter where they coach. The bad coaches lose at schools with good athletes.

The good coaches normally start off at a school with a lesser developed program and win big. They are generally stolen from that school and go to a more developed program where they still win big. They generally wind up at one of the bigger programs where they still win big and normally retire at that school.

Poor coaches can not win even though they often start at the schools with the biggest programs. Many times they are assistants promoted within the ranks, but their overall skills are faulty and they wind up as a staff member of another program, sports analysts, or some related sports job.

The examples are extremely numerous, but I will name a few recent ones. The assistant at Nebraska let that program slide, Torbush, at North Carolina, let Mack's program slide, and the last Notre Dame coach is now a sports analyst, etc.

Those are only a minute sample, but represented major programs with great athletes when they took over.

Ara Parsegian won big at Ohio. He was hired by Northwestern who could not beat any Big Ten team. He built Northwestern into a powerhouse and then was hired by Notre Dame. His record at Notre Dame is part of their great history.

Bear Bryant built Kentucky into a power house before going to Texas A&M. He then built the Texas A&M program into a powerhouse, before going to Alabama. His record at Alabama is a legend.

Bobby Bowden built West Virginia into a power house and then went to FSU (a girls college), and we know what he has done there.

There are many more examples, but those should suffice.

It is a fact that good football players want to go to schools that win big, go to bowl games, and are favorites of the pro scouts. The rich get richer, but it is the coach that is the catalyst.

I believe a team is limited much more by poor coaching than poor athletes.

There is little doubt we have better athletes than Wake Forest, but they beat us and played better last year with less talent. We had better talent than Fresno State (had seven players out for bowl game), but they beat us with less talent.

Up until last year, we had out-recruited every ACC school in the past five years, other than FSU. Why have the other ACC schools beaten us like step-children since Friegden left?

We have had some of the smaller division schools beat us in years when we had poor coaching. We beat some much bigger and better programs than Tech in the Dodd era when we had much poorer athletes than most of our opponents.

An excellent coach can take average players and beat the teams with poor coaching and excellent athletes.

It does make a difference when two excellent coaches are playing each other regarding the quality of the athletes.

Schools with good coaches draw even better recruits, thus the good coaches will increase their wins as the better recruits enter their program.

However, it all starts with the quality of the coach.

Is there anyone on the board that can honestly say (without naming any particular coach) the Tech team was a well coached team this past year?

BELLYSERIES:
BUT, if it were all on the coach, what is the point of divisions? Why couldn't Bobby Johnson coach Furman up to beat Clemson? Why do Army and Navy always suck? Because of coaches? How did Bobby Bowden lose to Mark Richt?

AHSOISEE:
Regarding Furman! They beat North Carolina 28-3 in 1999 after Mack Brown left. North Carolina had the same players, but Torbush could not beat Furman with them.

NCSU has a 4-8 all time record against Furman. NCSU lost 3 out of the last 4 games to Furman from 1976-1985. They dropped them from the schedule after 1985.

Now, on to the poor military teams! North Carolina lost 4 out of the last 5 games to Air Force between 1963-1969. North Carolina decided to drop Air Force. North Carolina and Navy are 5-5 all time. North Carolina was 3-2 in their last five games against Navy from 1984-1992. One was a 21-19 win. North Carolina dropped Navy after 1992.

Maryland is 5-14 all time against Navy. George Welsh and Navy beat Maryland handily.

NCSU is 3-6 all time against Navy. NCSU is 7-11 all time against VMI. NCSU is only 11-8 all time against William and Mary.

Virginia is 3-5 all time against Army. They are 11-28 all time against Navy. George Welsh and Navy beat Virginia handily until Welsh went to Virginia. Virginia and Welsh then beat Navy handily.

Duke is 12-16 against Navy. Duke was a powerhouse at one time when Wallace Wade coached them. Duke also won the conference and beat the other ACC teams regularly when Visor Boy was Duke's coach.

The new Ohio State coach has just won the National Championship for Division I. It seems he won either 2 out of the last 4, or 4 out of the last 6 (not sure) Division II National Championships at Youngstown State prior to comming to Ohio State.

The reason for having divisions is mostly economical, because the smaller schools have small stadiums, facilities, and fan bases. They do move up occasionally, but only after the school makes a commitment to expanding the facilities and the economics of playing in a higher classification.

Bowden lost to Richt, because Richt outcoached him. It would be stretching a point to say UGA has been outrecruiting FSU for years. FSU has the talent, but they have lost two outstanding assistants in Richt and Amato.

Bobby Bowden is getting old and losing the ability to think on his feet as quickly as he could when younger.

BELLYSERIES:
ahso, I'm talking about today's Army, not Blanchard and Davis days

AHSOISEE:
Belly, maybe you need to check out the coach at Army when Blanchard and Davis played. He was one of the better coaches of his day, with or without Blanchard and Davis.

And as far as the quarterbacks recruited by the Fridge, he did pretty well with those he recruited while he was here. The QBs only went down hill after he left.

rolleyes.gif

ahsoisee, that's a long post but it really doesn't say anything. You use examples which have no bearing on your argument to try to prove your point. What happened between Air Force and UNC in the 60s is meaningless, as are the all time records between Navy and Duke, etc.

The point is simple. Good coaches will beat poor coaches when talent is close. A more talented team will normally win when coaching is close. Sometimes lessor talent will win when their coaching is better. But no matter how good a coach is, he can't win consistently without talent. My example is George Siefert. Most would agree he's a good coach. But his Carolina Panthers teams were terrible. Did he forget how to coach? Or was his talent sub par?

Final note on the Fridge. I'll bet if he had stayed, AJ would not have been our QB. Don't know who it would have been but I'll bet it would have been one of the guys who changed position.

Back