Pretty good look at advanced stats for Duke game

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I don't like FTRS, but this column is always a good read.

Takeaways

1. Jeff Sims didn’t play at the level he reached against either UNC or Pitt, but he hit explosives, including two when it mattered most. The first play to Adonicas Sanders on the last drive showed the formula - a nice straight drop on a 1st and 10 with a quick release, facing no pressure, to hit the receiver on the go ball. Georgia Tech can find more chunk plays by throwing like this on first down. The rest of the explosive pass plays came in much more difficult third down situations; yes, Sims can sometimes hit those, but it would sure help the offense to give him more of those chances on early downs.
  2. The offensive line can’t execute what it is being asked to execute. Coach Patenaude loves the inside zone, the split zone, the counter - all good football plays - but this line struggles to make those blocks. They struggle to pick up blitzes on obvious passing downs. So, let’s run more sprint outs, more powers, more outside zone. Give the guys up front a chance to success based on what they have shown in the first half of the season.
  3. The secondary continues to be the most under-performing unit on the team. Last year, GT gave up 0.22 EPA/opponent dropback, which came in at about the 40th percentile nationally. I saw potential for significant improvement in this area, setting a goal of -0.06 EPA/opponent drop back (which would put GT about the 75th percentile of passing defense). Instead, it’s gotten worse. The experienced guys in the secondary have all been here for the entire Collins tenure; if they were going to figure it out, they would have by know. It’s time to pass more of the baton to the young talent in the secondary - with King, Brooks, and Huff at the top of my list.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Their writing is pretty amateurish even by fan blog standards, and most of their writers lack much long-term perspective, but some of the stats analysis stuff is good. I don’t even try to parse the actual advanced stats numbers, but enjoy the interpretation text.

JRjr

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I like FTRS. Unpaid fans giving free work. They are good for recaps of the Non-rev sports too.

This statement alone justifies what many of us have been trying to point out all season: "Coach Patenaude is going to have to scheme around the weakness, not expect magical improvement." One would thing that an OC would have figured that out by himself a long time ago, and yet, no, P'Nut does no apparent scheming at all; just more of the same, over and over again.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
This statement alone justifies what many of us have been trying to point out all season: "Coach Patenaude is going to have to scheme around the weakness, not expect magical improvement." One would thing that an OC would have figured that out by himself a long time ago, and yet, no, P'Nut does no apparent scheming at all; just more of the same, over and over again.
It's what they say but I'm still doubtful about how much this OL can be helped by "scheme". From their description, it sounds like the transfers cant run block, which may lead me to think the older ones who are Johnson recruits cant pass block well, and the younger players are struggling in the head-side of things. I worry the weaknesses are too diverse to get anything working consistently.
Maybe the best move would be to start phasing our the older players and use mostly the younger ones, it sounds like that group may benefit the most from simplified schemes.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
It kinda seems like the staff is reading the boards. People yell for 2-back sets, and they appear. People yell for the QB under center at the goal line, and it happens. What else should we ask for?

JRjr

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Their writing is pretty amateurish even by fan blog standards, and most of their writers lack much long-term perspective, but some of the stats analysis stuff is good. I don’t even try to parse the actual advanced stats numbers, but enjoy the interpretation text.

JRjr
I like FTRS. Unpaid fans giving free work. They are good for recaps of the Non-rev sports too.
Their takes are far too whiney for me. The are like (and probably are) the people on here who try to find the negative in everything.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
It kinda seems like the staff is reading the boards. People yell for 2-back sets, and they appear. People yell for the QB under center at the goal line, and it happens. What else should we ask for?

JRjr
Beat UGA.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Coach P earned a lot of respect from me on that last drive. The play calls were very aggressive and very risky.

Given how catastrophic losing that game would have been, I thought that showed a lot of guts.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Dontae Smith

ED06FF45-0674-4D43-922C-83FEE62223D8.jpeg
Dontae seems to be getting into games earlier and more often, so that seems like another thing about which the staff has heard our cries.

Without looking at the box score, my impression was that he was in the game as much or more than Mason this week.

JRjr

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
The secondary playing prevent zone D isn't working since we can't get pressure on the QB.

We need to blitz more and play man.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
We're developing players through repetition. :biggrin:

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Coach P earned a lot of respect from me on that last drive. The play calls were very aggressive and very risky.

Given how catastrophic losing that game would have been, I thought that showed a lot of guts.
And, it put our successful two minute offense on tape.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow

JRjr
Stop running so much on 1st and 2nd down

utilize Gibbs in a smarter way (i.e. quit pounding him btwn the tackles that sh!t does not work)

find a run blocking scheme that our OL can actually execute

quit using a tightend, it’s not working at this point, just put in another tackle, or another slot receiver maybe

get some young’ns on the field in the secondary, #’s 1, 2, & 3 are not getting it done

move #’s 1& 2 to linebacker, they are too big and slow to play DB anymore

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
get some young’ns on the field in the secondary, #’s 1, 2, & 3 are not getting it done

move #’s 1& 2 to linebacker, they are too big and slow to play DB anymore
It does seem like Juanyeh has been a little less than we had hoped after his first season (with some good returns and stuff, IIRC). He’s a fixture on the D, but hasn’t really been a standout, highlight reel kind of guy for the last couple of seasons.

JRjr