Pretty good look at advanced stats for Duke game

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
utilize Gibbs in a smarter way (i.e. quit pounding him btwn the tackles that sh!t does not work)
I’m not sure this is the case. My take has been that Gibbs is too willing to bounce those inside runs to the outside instead of following the blocking. It is a risk reward balance. Sometimes he his a big one, but most of the time it ends up with a shorter gain or TFL. It is hard too fault him too much as he does get the big gainers. But it also puts the O behind schedule when it fails.

Of course, a lot of this is dictated by the D. Some teams try to funnel everything inside by putting pressure on the tackles outside shoulder. Some teams stack the middle to force the O to run laterally.

Smith tends to follow the play design more often.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I’m not sure this is the case. My take has been that Gibbs is too willing to bounce those inside runs to the outside instead of following the blocking. It is a risk reward balance. Sometimes he his a big one, but most of the time it ends up with a shorter gain or TFL. It is hard too fault him too much as he does get the big gainers. But it also puts the O behind schedule when it fails.

Of course, a lot of this is dictated by the D. Some teams try to funnel everything inside by putting pressure on the tackles outside shoulder. Some teams stack the middle to force the O to run laterally.

Smith tends to follow the play design more often.
I see your point but what about what’s happening with Jordan Mason? Remember in 2019 he was grading out as one of the best in football. Have we regressed or transitioned the offensive line from run blocking linemen to pass blocking linemen?

I think it has more to do with the latter.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I see your point but what about what’s happening with Jordan Mason? Remember in 2019 he was grading out as one of the best in football. Have we regressed or transitioned the offensive line from run blocking linemen to pass blocking linemen?

I think it has more to do with the latter.
I think we are definitely transitioning to a passing team that runs. We just happen to have a wealth of running backs. I don’t think the new scheme favors Mason’s style. I wish he could get a few looks as a FB in the I-formation.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I think we are definitely transitioning to a passing team that runs. We just happen to have a wealth of running backs. I don’t think the new scheme favors Mason’s style. I wish he could get a few looks as a FB in the I-formation.
Interesting point, because despite all the talk about Sims and how great he can potentially be, the strength of this team since CGC has been here has been the running back corps. We are so talented at RB that Griffin doesn't even see the field; yet the offense continues to be focused on the QB who just isn't there yet.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
We really only need to pass off of play action with all this firepower. But if we can’t run blow I then idk. Just seems like we’ve regressed in terms of running and shifted toward a passing presence. Would be nice to have both.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
This is a nice analysis tho I don't know most of the definitions. Enlightening that the conclusions seem to support most of the concensus conclusion of where the good/bad is.