QB Sliding

sboyer3

Varsity Lurker
I know it is the smart thing to do now but when is the last time you saw a GT QB slide? Especially when its 3rd down. Maybe I'm old (I'm 31) but I did not enjoy seeing this. CGC preaches a culture of grit and passion but having a QB pull up to go OB or slide doesn't reflect that tone to the rest of the team. Sometimes it takes a hard run or someone going above and beyond to get the team to believe.

On the other hand I may be too critical. It seems gaining an extra yard in the triple option was much more important than our new offense. The difference between 2nd & 7 vs 2nd & 6 was huge in the triple option but may not be under Patenaude.

Seems we have gone from a "punch them in the mouth/do your job" mentality to a "play hard and flash brilliance" tone. Both good concepts, just hard to adjust to.

iiwii

I know it is the smart thing to do now but when is the last time you saw a GT QB slide? Especially when its 3rd down. Maybe I'm old (I'm 31) but I did not enjoy seeing this. CGC preaches a culture of grit and passion but having a QB pull up to go OB or slide doesn't reflect that tone to the rest of the team. Sometimes it takes a hard run or someone going above and beyond to get the team to believe.

On the other hand I may be too critical. It seems gaining an extra yard in the triple option was much more important than our new offense. The difference between 2nd & 7 vs 2nd & 6 was huge in the triple option but may not be under Patenaude.

Seems we have gone from a "punch them in the mouth/do your job" mentality to a "play hard and flash brilliance" tone. Both good concepts, just hard to adjust to.

iiwii
I think you have to also think about the fact that our QB will have responsibilities to throw. What happened a when a QB lowers his shoulder and takes a hit on the throwing arm? Being dead armed then having to pass isn’t beneficial. Nor is getting our best QB injured.

31 year old man who most likely never played football criticizes 19 year old kid for not unnecessarily risking major injury

Not sliding is old school. It make no sense to take unnecessary hits. Risk to a QB is much greater than the reward. The exceptions, of course, are situational awareness where we need that yard.

I thought UNC should've been penalized for taking a shot at Graham when he was in his slide yesterday. Surprised there wasn't a flag.
It was a late slide in that graham was much closer to the defender and mostly upright compared to the slides we’re all most used to seeing. IDK, maybe.

Unless it's 3rd down and he's close to the sticks, I want him sliding.

Not sliding is old school. It make no sense to take unnecessary hits. Risk to a QB is much greater than the reward. The exceptions, of course, are situational awareness where we need that yard.
It used to not be a rule that you couldn't hit a sliding QB so it didn't matter

Back