Quay Searcy

Hell, there are a brazillion "can you imagine?" scenarios. What if Brant Mitchell had decided to run backwards through the back of the endzone after intercepting the ball instead of falling down?

It was great to see him make a play. He was awful for most of the game.

You've seen what play out too many times? According to JT he's never run that play.

I think he's talking about a "cute" play in a big moment in general, e.g. a halfback pass getting picked.

I love the fact that he had the option to tuck it and run built into the play. One thing I don't like about trick plays is that the player will often try to force it -- giving him the run option takes a lot of that pressure off.

It was great to see him make a play. He was awful for most of the game.
Hell, there are a brazillion "can you imagine?" scenarios. What if Brant Mitchell had decided to run backwards through the back of the endzone after intercepting the ball instead of falling down?
I did not realize he was that close to the EZ? I thought he was around the 15-20. Was he in the EZ?

I did not realize he was that close to the EZ? I thought he was around the 15-20. Was he in the EZ?
No, but nothing was keeping him from deciding to run back there and perhaps point at some folks while holding the ball and getting a safety. There are a hundred things that can go against us in the UGAg game.

No, but nothing was keeping him from deciding to run back there and perhaps point at some folks while holding the ball and getting a safety. There are a hundred things that can go against us in the UGAg game.

More realistically, he would slide down, put down the ball, the refs wouldn't blow the whistle, and U[sic]GA would pick it up and run it in for a TD.

More realistically, he would slide down, put down the ball, the refs wouldn't blow the whistle, and U[sic]GA would pick it up and run it in for a TD.
Surprised they didn't review him hitting the ground. Anyone seen that football?

Does anyone really believe that UGAg's RB's are better than ours? Hell, I wouldn't trade Mills, Marshall, Searcy, or Lynch for any of theirs. Lynch has some jets on him. On the long catch by Stewart, he speeds into the frame. On his TD run, he was flying. The UGAg DB got lucky grabbing his jersey

This is a great point, and something I'm surprised isn't brought up more. Sure, their RBs are probably high on average in terms of star rating, but in terms of effectiveness in the system, I'd take our guys any day.

Related, perhaps - there was a story on AJC a while back about the Holyfield kid's recruitment. Our assistants (not named in article by Holyfield jr) had said something to the effect of "you'll be sitting on the bench at UGA" but that he could contribute right away at Tech. Holyfield jr was seemingly offended by our guy's comments and didn't consider us anymore from that point (good chance he was set on the dwags at that point anyway, presumably). It will be interesting to see if he'll do anything over next few years or be another Brendadict Douglas.

Chubbs and Sony are likely gone so Holyfield will get a chance next year to be the next Hershel i imagine

Talk about a game of inches.

#3 peeks over at JT and sees he is covered just as Searcy plants his foot to throw from the 13 yard line, then looks back to see Searcy at the 7 yard line. Had to act quick on an open field tackle.
Brad Stewart gets just enough of #45 to prevent him from getting to Searcy before the goal line.
#17 takes two steps to cover JT and that's just enough (he is the one that causes the would-be fumble)
Freddie Burden gets just enough of #97 to keep him from getting to Searcy before the goal line / room to #3's right to dive freely to the goal line.
#24 is in great position, but then bails out to cover JT.
#2 was putting himself into the middle of the field, but bails to cover JT
#20 played outside contain on Searcy and couldn't get back into the middle of the field to make a play.
Big #57 plays the cut block, then retreats to cover JT which really opened up the cut back lane.

The action of the rocket toss took 6 defenders out of the play on the cutback lane
4 more took JT or destracted enough to prevent them from making a tackle
Brad Stewart gets enough of the last guy.

Back