Question for Johnson Doubters

You make Clemson Tom look smart, We scored more on Clemson in the first 35 minutes, 17, than any team except georgie, fsu, and md scored in the whole game, and md had scored only 13 with 6min left in the game.

I can understand whiny b'yatches like E. Jacket who aren't trying to be rational. But when you assert stupid stuff like this as fact, you're just making bags.of rocks tweet SMH to their friends.

We didn't get a first down in the first quarter. The game was over when it was 20-0. The offense sucks.

Please don't try to make them understand. They don't love GT 100% and are happy with GT not being all it can be. They have no concept how winning those games will not hurt, but help, their precious degrees.

Hard to understand why they don't just come out and say we should join ivy league or swap conferences with the evening school of commerce.

They think very little of GT.

öööö you. Such a stupid ass statement. Oh yes, only you love GT because you have high standards for football. Congratulations for being so superior to the rest of us. Some of us who don't think firing coaches every few years is a recipe for success just don't love GT or GT football--right.

Consider this:
--some fans support the program, buy season tickets, go to all home games and many away games, wear their GT gear around town, take a bunch of öööö from friends when we lose--but in the end we have a real life and real concerns and the pain of a loss by GT football lasts about 24 hours.
--others spout bullshit on message boards as if a football win is the cure for cancer. I guess this guy is the real GT fan.

We didn't get a first down in the first quarter. The game was over when it was 20-0. The offense sucks.

So, I guess we can put you in the genius category that thinks Clemson's offense stinks cause they only scored 7 until garbage time when they faced a top 15 D.

You should get a fb show on ESPN. You're a genius.:rolleyes:

Please don't try to make them understand. They don't love GT 100% and are happy with GT not being all it can be. They have no concept how winning those games will not hurt, but help, their precious degrees.

Hard to understand why they don't just come out and say we should join ivy league or swap conferences with the evening school of commerce.

They think very little of GT.

And you are an irrational blowhard.

None of us, you included, have any idea what all GT can be even is.

So, I guess we can put you in the genius category that thinks Clemson's offense stinks cause they only scored 7 until garbage time when they faced a top 15 D.

You should get a fb show on ESPN. You're a genius.:rolleyes:

Clemson's offense dominated us the entire game and their defense shut us down when it really mattered. The game was over by the end of the first quarter. Any moron could see we would were completely over matched.

So you guys are saying CPJ gets a perpetual free pass because we can't do any better in getting talent and we may do worse by firing him and taking a risk.

OMG, I think you give somebody X chances and if he doesn't meet performance standards then he needs to get out of the way and let someone else try it. Pretty simple concept. Afraid somebody will do worse? Go hide under the bed then.

I would cut CPJ more slack if he would try to do something innovative or show some spirit of continuous improvement. Not just do the same... old... thing... year after year. We are stuck in the 1980s in Statesboro.

I don't want PJ fired right now, but if your argument for keeping a coach is that things could be worse with the next coach, then realistically no coach should ever be fired unless he literally can't win a single game.

Yes, things could get worse if we fired PJ and hired a new coach. They could also get better. They could also stay about the same. This same argument was presented when Gailey was fired and we've pretty much stayed the same.

I disagree that we should be content to lose to UGA, Clemson, VT, and Miami every year.

Some teams that have beaten UGA since the last time we beat them: Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Colorado, Central Florida, Vanderbilt

Some teams that have beaten Virginia Tech since the last time we beat them: UNC (twice), James Madison, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Duke, Boston College

Some teams that have beaten Miami since the last time we beat them: NC State, California, UNC (twice), UVA (thrice), South Florida, Maryland, Boston College

I'll concede that Clemson has been a tough team for non-power schools to beat, and our win over them in 2011 was impressive.

I don't want PJ fired right now, but if your argument for keeping a coach is that things could be worse with the next coach, then realistically no coach should ever be fired unless he literally can't win a single game.

How do you think firing coaches every 5-7 years affects recruiting?

So you guys are saying CPJ gets a perpetual free pass because we can't do any better in getting talent and we may do worse by firing him and taking a risk.

OMG, I think you give somebody X chances and if he doesn't meet performance standards then he needs to get out of the way and let someone else try it. Pretty simple concept. Afraid somebody will do worse? Go hide under the bed then.

I would cut CPJ more slack if he would try to do something innovative or show some spirit of continuous improvement. Not just do the same... old... thing... year after year. We are stuck in the 1980s in Statesboro.

The argument is not that someone else might do worse, but they probably would do worse. The risk of firing him is outweighed by the chance he will succeed, in my opinion. I say it is the coward who is ready to jump ship on Johnson after a couple mediocre seasons.

Also disagree that he hasn't met performance standards. Numerous people have shown Johnson has done as well as other coaches historically: decent seasons and a few good ones. Some people write off his first two years' success as "Gailey recruits", but if you do it is only fair to also write off 2011-2012 seasons as "coaching transition recruits".

Starting with your ending, I think spending the time on new things this season and like the diamond and stuff is part of why the basic stuff isn't going well, at least maybe for the QB. Tried to teach to be good at some different things, didn't get good at any of them.

Who decides what that X is? What are the performance standards? I have not seen any GT fan give good rational reasoning for any answer to those questions.
Personally I think we can do better at getting talent, new AD seems to be helping that a bit, and I think it is more likely a good strategic coach can learn to recruit than a good recruiter can learn to beat people with strategy when pure talent can't win.
I think it is more accurate to say it is less likely we can get better talent just by switching the head coach.

I said I don't want him fired right now. I'm just saying that the argument that you shouldn't fire a coach because things could be worse can be applied to literally any situation other than one in which the coach proves unable to win a single game.

Supposedly recruiting is starting to pick up so hopefully we'll see some progression in the coming years. We need to for PJ's sake. 6-7 wins a year should not be the goal. We have and can continue to do better than that.

Totally depends on who you hire...

Whats the average time between job changes for executives? Whats the average tenure of a CEO who shows no improvement in results?

Tennessee's recruiting class is pretty highly ranked. Firing Fulmer was clearly the right move. If someone isn't performing you have to make a change!! :hsugh:

Also Maryland knew what they were doing getting rid of Friedgen. 8 wins was not enough, so it was better to fire him and win 6 total in the next two seasons, right?

This is probably the hardest era of football to recruit to GT. We run an offense that kids don't want to play for because a vast majority of the best players are selfish assholes these days thanks to recruiting sites, facebook, twitter, etc.

The SEC takes recruits from us simply by being in the SEC. Clemson is having its best run of success in 30 years. South Carolina is having its best success ever. Florida State is back in form. UGA is still highly successful under Rocht and Alabama and Auburn have recent national championships.

In my opinion there are very few coaches who could navigate this time period while keeping GT bowl eligible. CPJ is one of them. I think we wait out the storm keep building recruiting relationships and graduating players we WILL turn the corner.

Chan Gailey was recuiting for GT in a time that was HARDLY like the one were in now. FSU, Clemson, USC, Miami, and Bama were nothing like what they are now.

I'm very disappointed in this year, and the record against top teams, but I'm not one who will let others say we haven't even competitive because we have. I do think a change needs to be made at offensive line coach. I also think the expectation for our program should be one great year every few years. We're not a reload program.

Clemson's offense dominated us the entire game and their defense shut us down when it really mattered. The game was over by the end of the first quarter. Any moron could see we would were completely over matched.

Exactly. Just like FSU did to them. No one is disputing that we were outmatched and whooped. Focus. The question was whether our offensive scheme was the problem,

If this is the best we can do why not sign Paul Johnson to lifetime contract

If every loss to a top 25 team means abject failure of the program, why not fire the head coach after every loss? Surely we would eventually find a winner.

Some rational thinking in general starting to come out in this thread, good to see.

I said I don't want him fired right now. I'm just saying that the argument that you shouldn't fire a coach because things could be worse can be applied to literally any situation other than one in which the coach proves unable to win a single game.

Supposedly recruiting is starting to pick up so hopefully we'll see some progression in the coming years. We need to for PJ's sake. 6-7 wins a year should not be the goal. We have and can continue to do better than that.

I think I agree that 6-7 years is not the goal, it's just hard to decide whether or not staying there is worth firing over. It is also true that the could do worse is a flawed argument. I guess I would say I don't see it as being worth the risk yet, maybe it is just the parts related to this period of time in football like the above said.

Actually I will add I think part of what is making it feel like people are giving Johnson a free pass in arguing for keeping him around longer is that it feels like many of the arguments for firing are so irrational, it's like calling up irrational reasons to defend him.

If every loss to a top 25 team means abject failure of the program, why not fire the head coach after every loss? Surely we would eventually find a winner.

It is not one loss, it is many many losses. 23 and counting in the last 4 seasons. It is losing to MTSU and Air Force and Kansas!

It is losing to the same teams every year on national TV. It's his smugness, arrogance, negativity and not recruitung well. It's not having any respect for GT's traditions and rivalries. CPJ is not elevating us, he has us squarely in a rut of lowered expectations that some fans seem to think is acceptable.

I'm going to revisit this thread in 3 years when Tech is 2-22 against the "big 4" to see the same excuses. :(

I guess I should be grateful we aren't Tennessee.

Back