Question for Johnson Doubters

I'm tired of everyone acting like Johnson will never achieve success at Tech again after a few average seasons. A reasonable expectation for us is to do decently always, but do great every once in a while. Johnson has and will meet that expectation.

How has he met that expectation? He has never shown himself to be anything more than a mediocre head coach at the BCS level, because he has never been a coach (assistant or head) at the BCS level before.

Success at Tech again? What "again"? He won with Gailey's players, but a head coach has to recruit too. He has to show success as a head coach the first time before you can say "again."

Johnson is exactly .500 since the beginning of 2010 against FBS teams, and there is NOTHING in his resume to indicate that he will do any better.

Tech men don't accept mediocrity. Johnson supporters may be Tech fans (although they are really just Johnson fans), but they are NOT Tech men.

It is not one loss, it is many many losses. 23 and counting in the last 4 seasons. It is losing to MTSU and Air Force and Kansas!

It is losing to the same teams every year on national TV. It's his smugness, arrogance, negativity and not recruitung well. It's not having any respect for GT's traditions and rivalries. CPJ is not elevating us, he has us squarely in a rut of lowered expectations that some fans seem to think is acceptable.

First for the bold: quit being such a bitch, man up.
You want to see GT get to a higher playing field? Better be ready for plenty of losses cause that is going to happen along the way no matter who is coaching or what they are doing.

You complain of lowered expectations, it was probably necessary cause some GT fans' expectations are irrational at best and way blown above what can be done at worst. Not saying Johnson has been or is perfect, but Kansas is the only good reason to fire him you have given here. Air Force certainly wasn't a good loss but not really a fire-worthy issue, but I'll say sure for now. We already fired the guy responsible for MTSU.

I don't think johnson's scheme is necessarily the biggest issue. My biggest concern is the lack of fundamentals (which is what ultimately killed groh). It does seem like we're focusing on the base offense a bit too much instead of adapting to what we have (which is also what killed groh). I'm not saying CPJ needs to completely change the offense, but it does seem like we're more successful when we're closer to a multiple offense out of flex and pistol.

Regarding the risk of another coach: it's not a strong enough argument to keep a coach by itself, but it's certainly a factor to be considered. If CPJ does drop us back in the 7 wins a year system of gailey, the risk is certainly worth it. If we're averaging 8 wins a year with the occasional up and down season, is it still worth it? As recruiting seems to be predicting an upward trend (particularly after the rather poor 08 & 09 recruiting classes), is changing coaches and schemes a good investment?

You want to see GT get to a higher playing field? Better be ready for plenty of losses cause that is going to happen along the way no matter who is coaching or what they are doing.

:eekfacepalm:
I cant debate you if you think making excuses and lowering expectations constitutes manning up. Welcome to bizarro world.

I don't think johnson's scheme is necessarily the biggest issue. My biggest concern is the lack of fundamentals (which is what ultimately killed groh). It does seem like we're focusing on the base offense a bit too much instead of adapting to what we have (which is also what killed groh). I'm not saying CPJ needs to completely change the offense, but it does seem like we're more successful when we're closer to a multiple offense out of flex and pistol.

Regarding the risk of another coach: it's not a strong enough argument to keep a coach by itself, but it's certainly a factor to be considered. If CPJ does drop us back in the 7 wins a year system of gailey, the risk is certainly worth it. If we're averaging 8 wins a year with the occasional up and down season, is it still worth it? As recruiting seems to be predicting an upward trend (particularly after the rather poor 08 & 09 recruiting classes), is changing coaches and schemes a good investment?

Your rational thought has no place on this forum.

Should Clemson fans want Chad Morris fired?

I'm asking those of you complaining about our offense, We've strggled against 3 teams ranked in the top 15 in ESPNs defensive efficiency stat: VPI #1, BYU #4, Clemson #12.

Clemson has played 1, FSU #2. FSU held them to. 7 pts until garbage time. Do those of you questioning Johnson and his offense seriously believe Climpsin fans should have the same attitude about Chad Morris?

Ridiculous statement. Morris will be a HC next year for sure. I wish we could get him.

Ridiculous statement. Morris will be a HC next year for sure. I wish we could get him.

I agree that getting stuffed by a great D doesn't mean your offensive scheme doesn't work. But, we did better against vi, byu, and cu than cu did against fsu. I was wondering if our tylers in Atlanta would be consistent.

What is sad is that it feels like Tech is stuffed by every great D they face. It seems like there were quite a few teams that solved VT and BYU's great D this season.

What is sad is that it feels like Tech is stuffed by every great D they face. It seems like there were quite a few teams that solved VT and BYU's great D this season.

Despite an anemic offense, VT's defense only gave up more than 21 points twice in regulation this season - 34 to BC and 24 to Miami (still won).

BYU's tempo causes them to give up more points, but they still only gave up more than 21 points twice - 46 to Houston (still won) and 27 to Wisconsin.

You're wrong about quite a few teams solving these defenses.

Back