Quick Lane Bowl vs. Minnesota

Does TStan know or care. I am confident Peterson does not care.
Send this to him.
tumblr_n2yy02laiZ1qg6i18o1_500.gif

"Quick Lane Bowl executive director Brad Michaels said that, during the bowl trip, teams will have the opportunity to attend a Detroit Lions game at Ford Field (where the bowl game will also be played) and visit the Henry Ford Museum."

Wow, they "get" to go watch a ööööty Lions team play. That's the best they could come up with? (I've heard that the Ford Museum is cool, at least.)

JRjr

Vikings @ Lions game. BFD.

Did they have any choice?

No, not really. If we declined to go I suspect the ACC could fault us for not following through on our commitments and deny us ACC funds; so we need to go.

Best option is to put such a beat down on Minnesota in the first half that people turn the game off at half time. I doubt that happens if the team is still disgruntled.

Bring the scouting reports on. What offense do they run? Defense? Can they stop the run? How are their knees?

I'll do a quick write up for now, and maybe something more later.

Coaching: PJ Fleck is like a Dabo version 2.0. I find his "row the boat" mantra to be pretty dumb. After they lost to Illinois this year, there was plenty of talk of his seat getting hot. His rah rah style of coaching has left a lot to be desired in actual results. Once he beat Wisconsin though, it doesn't matter anymore. The school is back in love with him. He's not an X's and O's type coach. He gets the players amp'd up but nothing they run is terribly creative and I don't remember too many times this year they took some chances. He has improved recruiting but his coordinators aren't fantastic and he was left with basically no QBs on roster.

Defense: They run a 4-3 scheme, but this is a mixed bag. They started the year with a DC named Robb Smith who was ass. He came from Arkansas to join PJ Fleck and Arkansas were glad to see him go. After Minnesota got rid of him, their defense improved by a huge margin. This was a team that lost to an 0-7 Nebraska and then a very bad Illinois team. Both games they gave up over 50 points. After they fired him they held Purdue to 10 and Wisconsin to 14. Their LBs are pretty good, their d-line never really got a steady pressure at all throughout the year. They were only 64th in total defense (76th against the run). The last game against Wisconsin though, they forced a bunch of turnovers. Johnathan Taylor still got 120 yards, but Hornibrook looked horrible. A good chunk of that was Minnesota getting to him. This being a rivalry game and Wisconsin coming off a huge disappointment of a year, the results may not be indicative of either teams actual ability. They haven't played any option based teams in the past two years since Fleck was on. They mostly deal with pro set power rushing in the Big 10.

Offense: Their OC (Kirk Ciarrocca) followed PJ Fleck from Western Michigan. He runs a spread option almost entirely out of the shotgun. Their QB situation was between a freshman and walk-on true freshman throughout the year. By the end of the year they have stuck with Tanner Morgan a recruit they took from Western Michigan when Fleck left. With consistent pressure and blitz's I don't think it'd be hard to slow them down. They want to run first and if they establish the run then the will be in control. If we can stop the run and force them to pass we'll likely be doing well. Their most successful pass play is a slant route to their star WR - Tyler Johnson (first team Big 10). I've seen them run this play back to back multiple times this year. Playing man to man, they will call this play without hesitation. He's a JR and likely a mid to late round draft pick if he keeps his play up next year. For their run options, they have a freshman named Ibrahim who is pretty good, and gets a lot of caries as their main RB. Their O-line at the start of the season was giving up sacks left and right. Mixed with a freshman QB, freshman RB was a nightmare with lots of turnovers. They seemed to have gotten better as the year went on and then by the OSU game they started a 6'10" 400lb freshman who has really helped improve their line.

Hope that's helpful. Their mascot is pretty awesome. Goldy had some fantastic halloween costumes every year. 2017 and 2018. He's also been known to truck a 12 year old or two in mascot pee wee football.

Fan scouting report: I’ve been around their fans, on campus, and in the stadium. Their fans are chill, like they don’t really get worked up about stuff. I think there is something in the water in MSP that makes everyone generally agreeable. If you go to the game you will enjoy hanging out with them. The only thing about them that bugs me is that their mascot is a technically a gopher but it’s designed like a chipmunk.

CPJ will have no second thoughts about his decision now. He is tired of the ACC, tired of his own school’s administration, tired of our being cheap and tired of how this program is disrespected.

I'll do a quick write up for now, and maybe something more later.

Coaching: PJ Fleck is like a Dabo version 2.0. I find his "row the boat" mantra to be pretty dumb. After they lost to Illinois this year, there was plenty of talk of his seat getting hot. His rah rah style of coaching has left a lot to be desired in actual results. Once he beat Wisconsin though, it doesn't matter anymore. The school is back in love with him. He's not an X's and O's type coach. He gets the players amp'd up but nothing they run is terribly creative and I don't remember too many times this year they took some chances. He has improved recruiting but his coordinators aren't fantastic and he was left with basically no QBs on roster.

Defense: They run a 4-3 scheme, but this is a mixed bag. They started the year with a DC named Robb Smith who was ass. He came from Arkansas to join PJ Fleck and Arkansas were glad to see him go. After Minnesota got rid of him, their defense improved by a huge margin. This was a team that lost to an 0-7 Nebraska and then a very bad Illinois team. Both games they gave up over 50 points. After they fired him they held Purdue to 10 and Wisconsin to 14. Their LBs are pretty good, their d-line never really got a steady pressure at all throughout the year. They were only 64th in total defense (76th against the run). The last game against Wisconsin though, they forced a bunch of turnovers. Johnathan Taylor still got 120 yards, but Hornibrook looked horrible. A good chunk of that was Minnesota getting to him. This being a rivalry game and Wisconsin coming off a huge disappointment of a year, the results may not be indicative of either teams actual ability. They haven't played any option based teams in the past two years since Fleck was on. They mostly deal with pro set power rushing in the Big 10.

Offense: Their OC (Kirk Ciarrocca) followed PJ Fleck from Western Michigan. He runs a spread option almost entirely out of the shotgun. Their QB situation was between a freshman and walk-on true freshman throughout the year. By the end of the year they have stuck with Tanner Morgan a recruit they took from Western Michigan when Fleck left. With consistent pressure and blitz's I don't think it'd be hard to slow them down. They want to run first and if they establish the run then the will be in control. If we can stop the run and force them to pass we'll likely be doing well. Their most successful pass play is a slant route to their star WR - Tyler Johnson (first team Big 10). I've seen them run this play back to back multiple times this year. Playing man to man, they will call this play without hesitation. He's a JR and likely a mid to late round draft pick if he keeps his play up next year. For their run options, they have a freshman named Ibrahim who is pretty good, and gets a lot of caries as their main RB. Their O-line at the start of the season was giving up sacks left and right. Mixed with a freshman QB, freshman RB was a nightmare with lots of turnovers. They seemed to have gotten better as the year went on and then by the OSU game they started a 6'10" 400lb freshman who has really helped improve their line.

Hope that's helpful. Their mascot is pretty awesome. Goldy had some fantastic halloween costumes every year. 2017 and 2018. He's also been known to truck a 12 year old or two in mascot pee wee football.

Thanks man. Great write-up.

GTAA is smoking crack if they think we are going to sell near our allotment. If they are worried about that financially then they should have declined. It’s a öööö bowl and $100 is laughable. You will be able to pick unused tickets up off the ground and walk in if you’re brave enough to actually travel to Detroit.
I would probably be willing to overpay to "do my part"... if the school allotments weren't always such bad seats.

Back