Recruiting 2021... Georgia Tech and the ACC

Extreme outliers prove rules? Scott Frost squeaked out a 25th place after a COVID shortened season and we should expect a team who historically recruits 20 spots below Nebraska, had the 46th ranked class in 2021, and hasn’t had a top 25 class in almost 15 years to replicate that feat?
Dude, you were wrong. Take the L. Move on.

If Nebraska can do it we sure as heck can.

IMHO he shouldn’t get fired after 2021 for W/L record. But his 2021 record should certainly decide how hot his seat is in 2022. If he wins 3 or fewer games again his seat should be in jeopardy pending the results of 2022. If he wins 4-5 games it’ll be frustrating and warm his seat. If we make a bowl it’s the amount of progress we should be seeing with competent coaches and the roster we have.
I can agree with this to a certain degree. The only difference is I’m not going to put a certain win total on 2021. I just want to see in upward trajectory of the program all around (recruiting, on-field performance, image of the program, etc). I don’t think the W/L of 2021 will have any bearing on how hot his seat is as long as their is improvement. I see 2022 as when the temperature of his seat really starts to get measured. I’m not talking about fans’ perception - that started on day 1 for some fans.

4 years may be too short to judge a coach but 6-7 is entirely too long. And some coaches you know at 2-3 years if they are just imposters or not.

4 years may be too short to judge a coach but 6-7 is entirely too long. And some coaches you know at 2-3 years if they are just imposters or not.
Meh, sometimes 6-7 is exactly when you know, but yeah, you usually know by year 2-3. It's a combo of recruiting and performance (wins). We knew coming out of CPJ performance was not reasonable as a measure at the normal 2-3 year span. It was very clearly communicated up front. Obviously some people did not listen to that.. They are on normal "year 3 new coach" timelines and desperately trying to justify why they are doing that.

High school recruiting was a HR in 2019 but it fell short in 2020. Lots of people want to give coach extra credit for the transfers and I am OK with that but I still think we should not be 40 something on the high school only list. He needs to do better in 2021. He has us on some bigtime players' lists. Awesome. 2021 means multiple year relationships with recruits now and he needs to close some bigger deals.

2022 will be the earliest we can judge performance. But it is a two part deal, recruiting and performance. Only a major fail in both recruiting and performance would trigger year 4 action. I'll take arrows as the messenger but it is what it is.

CGC was given a 7 yr contract. The typical is 5 yrs, so I figure the AD is starting the clock in 2021. The baseline is a 5 or 6 win season. That is where the team was when CPJ left, hovering around bowl eligibility. That should be the datum.

We had 2 games where we were flatly over matched. Both games were against playoff teams.

We had 2 games where we just matched up poorly against the opposing offense (Cuse/UCF). But we were in those games late. That will need to be fixed on the recruiting trail (without opening up new holes in the defense).

We made progress this year. We have a QB and a stable of backs.

We need to finish separating ourselves from the bottom of the league. We can do that through recruiting. If we continue to look vanilla and predictable on O and D, we can talk about new coordinators.

CGC was given a 7 yr contract. The typical is 5 yrs, so I figure the AD is starting the clock in 2021. The baseline is a 5 or 6 win season. That is where the team was when CPJ left, hovering around bowl eligibility. That should be the datum.

We had 2 games where we were flatly over matched. Both games were against playoff teams.

We had 2 games where we just matched up poorly against the opposing offense (Cuse/UCF). But we were in those games late. That will need to be fixed on the recruiting trail (without opening up new holes in the defense).

We made progress this year. We have a QB and a stable of backs.

We need to finish separating ourselves from the bottom of the league. We can do that through recruiting. If we continue to look vanilla and predictable on O and D, we can talk about new coordinators.
Good post, but do you agree there were reasons to look vanilla these last two years? That it probably was intent?

Good post, but do you agree there were reasons to look vanilla these last two years? That it probably was intent?

I think the coaching staff is going through some growing pains of their own. It isn’t just the players that get better at the P5 level. We had some games where we caught people off guard, and we had games where the opposing coaches looked like they had the headset feed. By game 4, teams seemed to be dialed into our 2020 look on offense and defense.

I thought Thacker in particular did a good job with halftime adjustments. We didn’t have the speed at MLB to cover the true spread teams and not enough beef on the DL to play nickel against a team with a competent running game.

In fairness, I don’t like Pat offense. It just doesn’t seem to have a philosophy other than ‘catch them off guard’. There is a reason certain plays are called at certain times. You can catch people flatfooted by going against the grain, but if you are consistently going against the grain, it doesn’t work.

I hope he proves me wrong. He has a Sims, Gibbs, and Griffin to mold however he wants. He needs get the WRs on board. He should have everything he needs by 2022.

I was going with simplicity for a young team, but there are some interesting game theory issues with playcalling, and how they are perceived. Since I have not charted Pat and don't intend to, we will save that theory for another day.

I was going with simplicity for a young team, but there are some interesting game theory issues with playcalling, and how they are perceived. Since I have not charted Pat and don't intend to, we will save that theory for another day.

I don’t know about young team, but having a young qb definitely makes things more vanilla. I would have liked to see more formations to disguise what we were doing. That is a Ralph/Leach thing to do. Run a few plays out of a bunch of different looks.

I don’t know about young team, but having a young qb definitely makes things more vanilla. I would have liked to see more formations to disguise what we were doing. That is a Ralph/Leach thing to do. Run a few plays out of a bunch of different looks.

The thing is we have an effectively young offensive line too outside of the transfers and that also makes us more vanilla in every respect on offense. Even if they are older players, most only really had 1 years more experience in this kind of blocking system than the QB. The past experience pre-Collins isn't worthless entirely, but it's not all that helpful.

I agree the defensive staff typically made really good halftime adjustments. On the other hand either the game plan going in or the preparation was not so hot on most games.

First half points allowed vs second half points allowed 247 to 121. In 4 games we gave up single digits in the second half but in 8 games we gave up 20 or more in the first half. Yikes...

I agree the defensive staff typically made really good halftime adjustments. On the other hand either the game plan going in or the preparation was not so hot on most games.

First half points allowed vs second half points allowed 247 to 121. In 4 games we gave up single digits in the second half but in 8 games we gave up 20 or more in the first half. Yikes...

Yeah, defensive game that planning was bad. That is something to work on for sure. I’ve seen other DCs go through that.

The bad thing is it puts a lot of pressure on the O.

Of course our O returned the favor a couple of times by waiting until halftime to get moving.

Back