Recruiting 2021... Georgia Tech and the ACC

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
He did not say that at all. You have serious reading comprehension issues.
He thinks, along with others I've seen on here, that Vegas is an accurate snapshot of reality. If Vegas says we'll win 2 or 3 games next year, then that's the barometer from which to judge. I've seen him and others use the argument. They likely don't realize how much that can be an indictment on Collins' ability as opposed to what it says to the state of our program from which he took over, which is what they want it to mean.

It's an idiotic metric to use in such a discussion.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
He thinks, along with others I've seen on here, that Vegas is an accurate snapshot of reality. If Vegas says we'll win 2 or 3 games next year, then that's the barometer from which to judge. I've seen him and others use the argument. They likely don't realize how much that can be an indictment on Collins' ability as opposed to what it says to the state of our program from which he took over, which is what they want it to mean.

OK, to be clear, you don't think the Vegas line reflects reality. Right? Vegas putting us at 2.5 was not an accurate snapshot of reality?

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
My apologies - blended your posts together with crews and assumed you were joining together with his ridiculous argument that 2021 is another throw away year. Think CGC deserves a lot of credit for moving us up that roster rank list in basically two years and to give him that credit we’d need to acknowledge where it was when he inherited it. So can’t argue with your point on that.
Do you think that 2021 will have any bearing whatsoever on CGC’s job security?

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
OK, to be clear, you don't think the Vegas line reflects reality. Right? Vegas putting us at 2.5 was not an accurate snapshot of reality?
Do I think if Vegas thinks we'll win 2 or 3 in '21 and we win 5 does that must mean Collins did his job? No. I don't.

Do you think if Vegas says we'll win 2 or 3 next year and part of that is because they're taking into account Collins' ability as a game day coach and we meet it, then we should just roll with it? Hey, it was expected after-all.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Do I think if Vegas thinks we'll win 2 or 3 in '21 and we win 5 does that must mean Collins did his job? No. I don't.
. To be clear Vegas won't put us at 2 or 3. If they did, that would mean something changed for the worse for us. But yeah, if Vegas had us at 2 and Collins won 5 it would definitely mean "Collins did his job."

Do you think if Vegas says we'll win 2 or 3 next year and part of that is because they're taking into account Collins' ability as a game day coach and we meet it, then we should just roll with it? Hey, it was expected after-all.
I accept the point that some of Vegas' number reflects Collins himself. That is reality. The Vegas number reflects reality as close as anything short of the reality itself. Who we have, what we do, who we play, when, where, who they have, what they do. It's not a vacuum. But when the number comes out, we should discuss it.

Ed Sawyer

I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.
Vegas had at us a 2.5 win projection this year. It will be slightly more than that next year but it will be below .500. Las Vegas just like Stansberry is grounded in reality. They are not pie in the sky dreamers that think any coach can come in here and wave a magic wand and make us a contender in the coastal in two or three years. I want to see Georgia Tech football relevant again just as bad as you do. But I live in reality.
Your reality should include the fact that the Vegas win projection takes into account who the coach is as well as who the players are. Would Vegas have us at 2.5 wins if, say, Nick Saban was the coach? Why not?

EDIT: I should've read the rest of the thread before responding. But I'll second what ElCid said.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I don't think there is anything short of taking a dump on the 40 yard line that would cause CGC to be fired in year three. His contract was built with recognition of the enormity of his task.

I personally expect improvement each year, and I saw improvement between 19 and 20, except for a regression in kicking which was pretty bad in 19 but exacerbated by COVID restrictions this year. I fully expect we should be able to kick xp in 21.

I don't give CGC a pass for 21. Tough schedule. Brutal schedule. We will win some and lose some. Maybe go bowling but I don't always worry about numbers but about trends. We did better than typical for transitions of the sort we experienced so I don't blame him for years 1 and 2. I do consider year 3 on him, but I recognize the challenges left to overcome and I temper my expectations.

Year 4 will be fun. Year 5 will be more fun. Then we will see how well he sustains. Those are my expectations.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
The reason 2021 is important is because if we want to recruit the guys we need to get we have to show improvement. If Collins can't squeeze 6 wins out of this team I cannot imagine him landing a top 25 class.

Honestly he probably needs to have an 8 win season in 2021 because the 2022 OOC is ludicrous and a top 25 class and an overachieving 2021 could build up goodwill for a possible letdown.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker

So Vegas picked us to win 2 games the first year because they think so badly about CGC coaching abilities? Yeah ok bud. It definitely didn't have anything to due with the predicament he would have to work through. You're so stubbornly blind with your hatred of coach Collins it's insane. You're too stupid to have figured it out but before Collins was even hired many in the know predicted we could have around a one or two win season. Yeah for each year that goes by the rebuild will reflect less in the overall wins but to dismiss the rebuild as a factor for Vegas especially in the first couple of years is ludicrous. You are one of the dumb-asses that I've started to group as the "rebuild deniers." Are you still holding out for a Trump victory? Do you believe in vaccines? Seriously I'll have to think the last time I read something so absurdly stupid. It blows my mind that you may of once attended the Institute because your pea sized brain can't grasp the concept of a rebuild.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker

Collins Vegas win total will be around 5 or 6 games I bet and that's because it's a really tough schedule.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
The reason 2021 is important is because if we want to recruit the guys we need to get we have to show improvement. If Collins can't squeeze 6 wins out of this team I cannot imagine him landing a top 25 class.
You need a bigger imagination. It is very possible to be awesome at recruiting (and perhaps being sucky at coaching) such that you land a top 25 class while winning only 5. Very possible. Particularly if we land a top recruit that then recruits for us.

Honestly he probably needs to have an 8 win season in 2021 because the 2022 OOC is ludicrous and a top 25 class and an overachieving 2021 could build up goodwill for a possible letdown.
Um, yeah, OK. 8 wins would be frigging awesome, but CGC only needs to make improvement year over year and if 2022 has an impossible schedule improvement may mean less wins.

Techbert

Dodd-Like

Tell me more of your insights into the minds of 17 year old athletes.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
So Vegas picked us to win 2 games the first year because they think so badly about CGC coaching abilities? Yeah ok bud. It definitely didn't have anything to due with the predicament he would have to work through. You're so stubbornly blind with your hatred of coach Collins it's insane. You're too stupid to have figured it out but before Collins was even hired many in the know predicted we could have around a one or two win season. Yeah for each year that goes by the rebuild will reflect less in the overall wins but to dismiss the rebuild as a factor for Vegas especially in the first couple of years is ludicrous. You are one of the dumb-asses that I've started to group as the "rebuild deniers." Are you still holding out for a Trump victory? Do you believe in vaccines? Seriously I'll have to think the last time I read something so absurdly stupid. It blows my mind that you may of once attended the Institute because your pea sized brain can't grasp the concept of a rebuild.
Too much projection in this post to be taken seriously.

But the part that's not...I'll only say this.

You missed the point I was making in that no one knows how much the 2 win season (x win season next year) is "but muh rebuild" and how much is the people's take on Collins' ability - which is why entering Vegas into the discussion is dumb. You know no more than me what Vegas is saying about those inputs. You want it to say it's 100% rebuild whereas it might not be so to use it can lead to some silly conclusions.

Why do you take criticism of Collins so personal? It's weird.

Last edited:

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Find me a modern example of a coach posting three straight sub-.500 years and landing a top 25 class. I’ll wait.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Locksley wasn’t at UM in 2018 so I’m not going to accept that one. Nebraska counts. So you have one. Modern would be in the rivals/scout/247 eras. Post 2001.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
IMHO he shouldn’t get fired after 2021 for W/L record. But his 2021 record should certainly decide how hot his seat is in 2022. If he wins 3 or fewer games again his seat should be in jeopardy pending the results of 2022. If he wins 4-5 games it’ll be frustrating and warm his seat. If we make a bowl it’s the amount of progress we should be seeing with competent coaches and the roster we have.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
So you are proven wrong that quick.
Extreme outliers prove rules? Scott Frost squeaked out a 25th place after a COVID shortened season and we should expect a team who historically recruits 20 spots below Nebraska, had the 46th ranked class in 2021, and hasn’t had a top 25 class in almost 15 years to replicate that feat?