Recruiting 2021... Georgia Tech and the ACC

Also there's the assumption that the average tenure being four years is a smart and reasonable decision. Just cause most schools do things a certain way doesn't mean they do things right.
Is 4 years really the average? Seems like that might be the median, but average? Ouch.

Not after only 2 recruiting cycles. they won’t own anything until after 4 full years of recruiting and coaching. No more PJ players left.

The roster is essentially flipped starting next year. Most anybody that’s gonna be left from CPJ’s tenure is beating out CGC players at their position groups.

Cooper (possible starter if he returns)

BJS (probably transferring)
Swilling (starter)
K Oliver (starter)
T Oliver (?)
Minihan (possible starter)
Quinney (starter)
Howard (likely transfer)
Owens (possible starter)
Carpenter (starter)
Mason (1-2 punch if he stays)
Harvin (starter if he stays)
Sanders (starter)

Chimedza (starter)
C Thomas (?)
Smith (not a starter but love his contribution)
Carter (starter)
Griffin (DT rotation)
Walton (starter)
Domineck (starter)
Juanyeh (starter)
Harris (WR rotation)
Ryans (DE rotation at the least).

That’s 23 guys by my count. Safe to assume at least 4-6 will end up leaving. So we should be about 80% CGC players day 1 of the 2021 season with the 20% holdovers all being major contributors. Free pass is gone. Doesn’t need to win the Coastal obviously, but improvement must be seen. 3 wins no longer gets a shrug. Bowl eligible is the expectation. Our roster will be the 5th most talented behind only Clemson, FSU, UNC, and Miami.

By the start of 2022 we’re probably 90-95% CGC players. Laughable to say he still gets this entire season to “see what he’s got.” Should be at least contending for the division by this point.

The roster is essentially flipped starting next year. Most anybody that’s left from CPJtenure is either gonna be gone or starting.

Swilling (starter)
K Oliver (starter)
T Oliver (?)
Quinney (starter)
Howard (likely transfer)
Owens (possible starter)
Carpenter (starter)
Sanders (starter)

Chimedza (starter)
Thomas (?)
Carter (starter)
Griffin (DT rotation)
Walton (starter)
Domineck (starter)
Juanyeh (starter)
Harris (WR rotation)

That’s 23 guys by my count. Safe to assume at least 4-6 will end up leaving. So we should be about 80% CGC players day 1 of the 2021 season with the 20% holdovers all being major contributors. Free pass is gone. Doesn’t need to win the Coastal obviously, but improvement must be seen. 3 wins no longer gets a shrug. Bowl eligible is the expectation. Our roster will be the 5th most talented behind only Clemson, FSU, UNC, and Miami.

By the start of 2022 we’re probably 90-95% CGC players. Laughable to say he still gets this entire season to “see what he’s got.” Should be at least contending for the division by this point.
Dumb post. Real dumb. 5th most talented? You are comparing two (2+1/2 maybe) classes in our case to 4-5 classes at the other schools. Teams can have more 4 and 5 star players than us while never breaking top 40 because they spread them out over 5 cycles while we have only 2.

Worse, half of the players you are setting up for failure are true freshmen who are going to struggle against the veteran teams. Transfers will help but we are thin and if injuries make it where we are relying on this class we are in for another rough season.

We have HUGE unanswered questions at linebacker that scares the öööö out of me. The DL made major progress versus 2019. The secondary disappointed but they coulda used more help.

2020 O was way better than 2019. 2021 will be better. How good will be up to Sims. Sims' strong start hid any improvement he may have made during the season from me, frankly. He needs to work very hard to make a step change improvement this off-season or he won't be a four year starter and we will struggle as a team again.

2022 will be when the weak links start shaking out. Coaches or players. But it would have to be obvious for us to can CGC eoy 2022. He'll be able to buy additional years if necessary by throwing coordinators under the bus. Hopefully that's not necessary.

Last edited:
Dumb post. Real dumb. 5th most talented? You are comparing two (2+1/2 maybe) classes in our case to 4-5 classes at the other schools. Teams can have more 4 and 5 star players than us while never breaking top 40 because they spread them out over 5 cycles while we have only 2.

Worse, half of the players you are setting up for failure are true freshmen who are going to struggle against the veteran teams. Transfers will help but we are thin and if injuries make it where we are relying on this class we are in for another rough season.

We have HUGE unanswered questions at linebacker that scares the öööö out of me. The DL made major progress versus 2019. The secondary disappointed but they coulda used more help.

2020 O was way better than 2019. 2021 will be better. How good will be up to Sims. Sims' strong start hid any improvement he may have made during the season from me, frankly. He needs to work very hard to make a step change improvement this off-season or he won't be a four year starter and we will struggle as a team again.

2022 will be when the weak links start shaking out. Coaches or players. But it would have to be obvious for us to can CGC eoy 2022. He'll be able to buy additional years if necessary by throwing coordinators under the bus. Hopefully that's not necessary.

No I’m not. I’m comparing our roster to the rest of the ACC. Some of y’all still seem to have your head in the sand with respect to roster talent. You’ve used the “empty cupboard” crutch so many times that now it’s become your damn leg.

Our 2021 roster will be more talented than 2/3 of the league. It’s fact. We’ll have the 5th most 4*+ players. Regardless of how many people you want to call dumb without having researched the topic, that is also a fact.

The 2020 class will be in year 3 in 2022. We could be losing some to the draft after that year. At what point are we supposed to expect the “2nd best class in Tech football history” to be able to play football?

“half the players you are setting up for failure are true freshmen.” What are you even talking about here. Doubtful that anybody from the 2021 class will be contributing next year. The ‘21 HS class is not whats propping us up to 5th in the talent composite.

Boxscore scouting is the worst scouting. As numbers age, they get less reliable. A scouting report from four or five years ago is worthless.

Worse than worthless, because people use ancient subjective outsider opinions like they have significance.

The other way to look at it is we will have yet another small senior class next year. One r/s senior and 9 or so 4th year players, by your estimation, and 10 or so 3rd year players, plus a few transfers. That is young any way you rationalize it.

We will see movement in performance from this past year, just as we saw movement in performance from 2019. But the concrete ain't cured yet.

Last edited:
The average tenure of a FBS head coach is four years. And you’re saying we can’t even begin to hold Geoff responsible for on-field results until his sixth year at Tech?

Are all of y’all this lax with your employees in the real world?
Coaches who get canned quickly typically suck at recruiting or lose the respect of the team. That or their administration/alumni influencers are stupid.

Collins is good at recruiting. The team has his back. I guess you want the last factor to get rid of him?

No I’m not. I’m comparing our roster to the rest of the ACC. Some of y’all still seem to have your head in the sand with respect to roster talent. You’ve used the “empty cupboard” crutch so many times that now it’s become your damn leg.

Our 2021 roster will be more talented than 2/3 of the league. It’s fact. We’ll have the 5th most 4*+ players. Regardless of how many people you want to call dumb without having researched the topic, that is also a fact.

The 2020 class will be in year 3 in 2022. We could be losing some to the draft after that year. At what point are we supposed to expect the “2nd best class in Tech football history” to be able to play football?

“half the players you are setting up for failure are true freshmen.” What are you even talking about here. Doubtful that anybody from the 2021 class will be contributing next year. The ‘21 HS class is not whats propping us up to 5th in the talent composite.
As pointed out several times before, your source for “5th most talented team” is flawed at best. Primary example, Bryce Gordy is listed. That right there eliminates any credibility of the list.

The roster is essentially flipped starting next year. Most anybody that’s gonna be left from CPJ’s tenure is beating out CGC players at their position groups.

Swilling (starter)
K Oliver (starter)
T Oliver (?)
Quinney (starter)
Howard (likely transfer)
Owens (possible starter)
Carpenter (starter)
Sanders (starter)

Chimedza (starter)
C Thomas (?)
Carter (starter)
Griffin (DT rotation)
Walton (starter)
Domineck (starter)
Juanyeh (starter)
Harris (WR rotation)

giphy.gif

Ehh... I'm still not sold on UNC staying up there. They've had good back to back classes and that's because Mack's first year he pulled a bunch of guys, they somehow got a 2021 5-star to re-classify and enroll early as a 2020 kid and ended up with 26 guys (not sure how that is allowed), and this cycle the state of NC was un-characteristically loaded and they were able to keep a bunch of local kids. Typically UNC's recruiting classes have stayed around the 25-30 range. We'll wee if next year they start to return more to the norm.
Mack has done this consistently his entire career. UNC will be a sleeping giant with the talent base they are building. They could be a Clemson clone eventually. Mack is also a CEO style coach like Dabo, so his W-L upper bound record will always be dependent upon the quality of his assistants. With that much talent he will never be worse than 7-8 wins, though.

Your post is a mess. Yeah, in 2022 we will have a talented roster, but you have CGC under the guillotine in 2021. In September 2021 we will be green as öööö. If you had said "no excuses" in 2022 then your post might make sense.

Swilling (starter)
K Oliver (starter)
T Oliver (?)
Quinney (starter)
Howard (likely transfer)
Owens (possible starter)
Carpenter (starter)
Sanders (starter)

Chimedza (starter)
C Thomas (?)
Carter (starter)
Griffin (DT rotation)
Walton (starter)
Domineck (starter)
Juanyeh (starter)
Harris (WR rotation)

Great post. All of the negative responses basically amount to “your numbers are not infallible so my opinion is better than your facts” which is laughable coming from some supposedly logical people.

I like CGC and the culture he has built. But there’s no reason we shouldn’t be competitive next year. The logic that he should have to turn the entire roster over before we dare evaluate him is just absurd.

FWIW, in the entire history of the program, GT has had one coach who didn’t have a winning record in their first 3 years: Bud Carson. I don’t think anybody would advocate for firing Collins if 2021 is a repeat of 2020, but it should damn sure make his seat hot for 2022. If 100 years worth of coaches found a way to win with another guy’s players, CGC can do it, too.

Your post is a mess. Yeah, in 2022 we will have a talented roster, but you have CGC under the guillotine in 2021. In September 2021 we will be green as öööö. If you had said "no excuses" in 2022 then your post might make sense.

gtrower's argument for 2020 having the 5th best talent in the league was silly, but I don't disagree for 2021. We will have a garbage senior class (bottom 4 in the ACC), but we should have top 6 junior and sophomore classes.

Sims should be better with a full season and offseason under his belt. We are stacked at RB. Some of these younger guys need to step up at WR and TE. The OL should be better with Johnson returning, young guys maturing and beating out some of the older guys, and Cochrane.

The DL should be better. LB is a gigantic question mark, but it was awful this past year. The highly recruited 2020 guys have to step up. DB should be better.

NIU, KSU, Duke are must wins. Clemson, and UGAg are out of reach. UNC probably is to. Win 3 of BC, Pitt, UVA, VT, Miami and we're bowling. Barring catastrophic injuries the floor is 6 wins and the ceiling is probably 8.

By your own admission we are going to be a ridiculously young team. Day 1 of 2021 we are going to be 80% sophomores and freshmen. Good college teams are overwhelmingly 4th and 5th year players, not 80% freshmen and sophomores.

I'm sorry I keep bringing reality up, but Iiwii. The team should make less bonehead rookie mistakes in 2021 but they are going to be far from a well oiled veteran dominated machine. People need to be prepared for that, not whining. We obviously should see progress, but it might be hard because teams will exploit our weakest links.

As pointed out several times before, your source for “5th most talented team” is flawed at best. Primary example, Bryce Gordy is listed. That right there eliminates any credibility of the list.

Eliminates the credibility of a list compiling recruiting class / transfer ratings that has had the entire board creaming their pants the last year?

Take Gowdy out and pour one out and we fall to what...6th? (Might stick at 5th ahead of State who isn’t even on our schedule). So that’s no longer a decent roster and CGC gets another throwaway year?

gtrower's argument for 2020 having the 5th best talent in the league was silly, but I don't disagree for 2021. We will have a garbage senior class (bottom 4 in the ACC), but we should have top 6 junior and sophomore classes.

Sims should be better with a full season and offseason under his belt. We are stacked at RB. Some of these younger guys need to step up at WR and TE. The OL should be better with Johnson returning, young guys maturing and beating out some of the older guys, and Cochrane.

The DL should be better. LB is a gigantic question mark, but it was awful this past year. The highly recruited 2020 guys have to step up. DB should be better.

NIU, KSU, Duke are must wins. Clemson, and UGAg are out of reach. UNC probably is to. Win 3 of BC, Pitt, UVA, VT, Miami and we're bowling. Barring catastrophic injuries the floor is 6 wins and the ceiling is probably 8.
247 has our 2018 class ranked 8th. Am I missing something?

I do not agree that our senior class will be garbage. While nothing to write home about, the 2018 class was ranked 53rd (9th in the ACC) and contains some key contributors:

Jordan Domineck
Juanyeh Thomas
Ja'Quon Griffin
Malachi Carter
Zamari Walton
JaQuez Jackson
Dontae Smith
TK Chimedza
Charlie Thomas

And if you lump in holdovers from the 2017 class that stick around:

Kaleb Oliver
Adonicas Sanders
Tariq Carpenter
JP Mason
Tobias Oliver
Tre Swilling
Zach Quinney
Pressley Harvin (not sure if he's confirmed to be gone yet)

I could see 55-60ish% of our starting lineup being those guys. I also see at least 5 possible NFL players on that list. The only thing those classes lack is star power, but there are plenty of solid role players there to hold down the fort and let guys like Sims, Gibbs, etc. make big plays.

By your own admission we are going to be a ridiculously young team. Day 1 of 2021 we are going to be 80% sophomores and freshmen. Good college teams are overwhelmingly 4th and 5th year players, not 80% freshmen and sophomores.

I'm sorry I keep bringing reality up, but Iiwii. The team should make less bonehead rookie mistakes in 2021 but they are going to be far from a well oiled veteran dominated machine. People need to be prepared for that, not whining. We obviously should see progress, but it might be hard because teams will exploit our weakest links.

We are not going to be 80% Fr/So. Do you know how transfers work?

Great post. All of the negative responses basically amount to “your numbers are not infallible so my opinion is better than your facts” which is laughable coming from some supposedly logical people.

I like CGC and the culture he has built. But there’s no reason we shouldn’t be competitive next year. The logic that he should have to turn the entire roster over before we dare evaluate him is just absurd.

FWIW, in the entire history of the program, GT has had one coach who didn’t have a winning record in their first 3 years: Bud Carson. I don’t think anybody would advocate for firing Collins if 2021 is a repeat of 2020, but it should damn sure make his seat hot for 2022. If 100 years worth of coaches found a way to win with another guy’s players, CGC can do it, too.

Georgia Tech coaches by inherited players drafted by the NFL (using today's yardstick of 255 picks):
Paul Johnson: 8
Chan Gailey: 8
George O'Leary: 7
BL: 7
Boss Ross: 5
Bill Curry: 5
Geoff Collins: 0 (generous ceiling for this number is probably 3)

Yeah because “no longer gets a shrug” definitely translates to “under the guillotine.” Just because you got proved wrong after calling out somebody as dumb doesn’t mean your next step is to fabricate points to fit your argument.

Back