Recruiting 2021... Georgia Tech and the ACC

Just like with on the field results next year in December we will know what we have. I understand we filled some gaps with transfers but one composite four star and 45th in the nation isn't cutting it. Take away the transfers and the class looks Johnson-esque.

Bad take.

We are ~40th largely because of the class size. With 17 commits we are smaller than most classes.

However, on top of those 17 we added:
- #112recruit of 2019 at CB
- #211 recruit of 2019 at DE
- a high 3 star OL from Miss State
- a high 3 star DT from USCe
- a LT who didn't give up a sack his last season at Vandy
- DE who was one of the top 5 graded DL by Pro Football Focus his last year he played.

Take a look at some of the classes ranked ahead of us.

VPISU at #40. Would you take their class over ours? I certainly wouldn't. BC at 35? I'd take ours all day long. Louisville at 25? I'd still take ours.

Our rank is lower because of the volume, but pound for pound this is a very good class.

Bad take.

We are ~40th largely because of the class size. With 17 commits we are smaller than most classes.

However, on top of those 18 we added:
- DE who was one of the top 5 graded DL by Pro Football Focus his last year he played.
And we locked down 3 returning seniors with proven track records.

Bad take.

VPISU at #40. Would you take their class over ours? I certainly wouldn't. BC at 35? I'd take ours all day long. Louisville at 25? I'd still take ours.

Our rank is lower because of the volume, but pound for pound this is a very good class.

Also, of these 17, 8 are 5.7 or above. 5 are 5.6. 3 are 5.5 of below.

How many CPJ classes had that much top-end talent (5.7 or up?):

This Class - 8 of 17 5.7+ and 3 of 17 5.5 or below
2020 - 10 of 24 5.7+ and 5 of 24 5.5 or below

2018 - 3 of 21 5.7+ and 14 of 21 5.5 or below
2017 - 6 of 24 5.7+ and 13 of 24 5.5 or below
2016 - 5 of 18 5.7+ and 12 of18 5.5 or below
2015 - 6 of 27 5.7+ and 16 of 27 5.5 or below
2014 - 3 of 22 5.7+ and 14 of 22 5.5 or below
2013 - 2 of 14 5.7+ and 7 of 14 5.5 or below
2012 - 5 of 17 5.7+ and 6 of 17 5.5 or below

Bad take.

We are 8th in the ACC in average rating. Our average rating is lower than it was last year. That is disappointing.

I'd hope we'd take our class over BC, Louisville, and an imploding VPISU.

Recruiting rankings for transfers should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt. There is a reason they are transferring.

We are 8th in the ACC in average rating. Our average rating is lower than it was last year. That is disappointing.

Recruiting rankings for transfers should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt. There is a reason they are transferring.

I show us 6th on a per recruit basis.

Clemson 137 points per recruit
Miami 110
UNC 106
FSU 85
Pitt 81
GT 77
Louisville 76
Virginia 75
NC St 71
BC 69
VPISU 67
Duke 62
Cuse 61
Wake 57

On top of that, we are weighed down by having a punter in the class. Remove him and we are likely on-par or above Pitt.

It isn't the perfect class, but pretty damn good for a developing program that could not have any recruits on campus with the coaches the past 9 months. That was a big part of the key in building the last recruiting class.

I show us 6th on a per recruit basis.

Clemson 137 points per recruit
Miami 110
UNC 106
FSU 85
Pitt 81
GT 77
Louisville 76
Virginia 75
NC St 71
BC 69
VPISU 67
Duke 62
Cuse 61
Wake 57

On top of that, we are weighed down by having a punter in the class. Remove him and we are likely on-par or above Pitt.

It isn't the perfect class, but pretty damn good for a developing program that could not have any recruits on campus with the coaches the past 9 months. That was a big part of the key in building the last recruiting class.
I agree.

Further, add the Temple kid and Gee and Devin, and we've got it all. Short term needs... check! Long term building... check! Maintenance at key postions such as qb... check! Balancing scholarships and positions... check.

Time to look at 2022. Hope to get kids on campus before everyone makes up their minds.

8BB895A9-C49B-4866-A241-806EB792D4D6.jpeg

So we are either a top 2/3 class or top 40 class. You guys got to do a little better than that. Drinking kool aid or juice?

we will know whether or not Collins can recruit the way he needs to by the end of 2021. If we don’t have a top 30 class next year based on star average it’s not going to work out.

Since we are going the Jimmies and joes route we better get the Jimmies and Joes
Yeah, this is a bad take. I’m a noted CPJ homer and will readily say that this class is significantly better than any Johnson brought in. If you count transfers as well, that gap widens even more.

Also, I’ve got a feeling that our 2022 class will have some big splash players, and could turn out to be reminiscent of the 2007 class - especially if we win some games and continue to show improvement.

To be fair this is ESD and we’re pretty much full. We’re gonna get passed on Rivals by several teams by NSD. We’re likely finishing in the 40s on both sites.

That being said our transfer class might end up being one of the better ones in the country. Might have a starting LT, starting DE, and 4 other 2-deep contributors.
Keep in mind that We don’t know who else might be leaving

As one who is comfortable sitting on the sidelines during most of the recruiting threads, I have to be honest and point out my discomfort with the tone of some of the posts - if not posters - in this thread and in similar threads over the years.

There appear to be three types of posters in these recruiting threads: relentlessly positive, relentlessly negative and generally objective.

Over the last five/six years, there has been a contingent of relentlessly positive posters. I don't take names but I'm trying to reconcile those posts over CPJ's last few years with what we now all accept as the empty cupboard CGC inherited. Then I'm trying to reconcile the obvious conclusion of that analysis with the relentlessly positive posters regarding this and last year's classes.

I don't doubt that we are doing better over the last two classes than in the previous three but I think the relentlessly positive posters need to chill on their responses to the skeptical or hesitant posters. We've all heard the positivity before. It might be accurate now and BS before but given that, a certain amount of "I'll believe it when I see it" is not the same thing as relentlessly negative.

Stop poisoning the well and address the questions that are being asked.

As one who is comfortable sitting on the sidelines during most of the recruiting threads, I have to be honest and point out my discomfort with the tone of some of the posts - if not posters - in this thread and in similar threads over the years.

There appear to be three types of posters in these recruiting threads: relentlessly positive, relentlessly negative and generally objective.

Over the last five/six years, there has been a contingent of relentlessly positive posters. I don't take names but I'm trying to reconcile those posts over CPJ's last few years with what we now all accept as the empty cupboard CGC inherited. Then I'm trying to reconcile the obvious conclusion of that analysis with the relentlessly positive posters regarding this and last year's classes.

I don't doubt that we are doing better over the last two classes than in the previous three but I think the relentlessly positive posters need to chill on their responses to the skeptical or hesitant posters. We've all heard the positivity before. It might be accurate now and BS before but given that, a certain amount of "I'll believe it when I see it" is not the same thing as relentlessly negative.

Are you saying the relentlessly negative posters are not poisoning the well?

They are legion, and they cherry-pick their data to give a skewed picture. I am just providing counterbalance.

Relentlessly positive isn't poisoning the well. It's keeping a smile while starving.

Yeah, this is a bad take. I’m a noted CPJ homer and will readily say that this class is significantly better than any Johnson brought in. If you count transfers as well, that gap widens even more.

Also, I’ve got a feeling that our 2022 class will have some big splash players, and could turn out to be reminiscent of the 2007 class - especially if we win some games and continue to show improvement.

Good on you for this post.

Are you saying the relentlessly negative posters are not poisoning the well?

They are legion, and they cherry-pick their data to give a skewed picture. I am just providing counterbalance.
Some are and they deserve what they get.

But it seems to me that there is an intolerance of even a justifiable level of skepticism. That is what I object to. I'm generally intolerant of the "groupthink" and/or Party Line that needs to be complied with.

If someone was skeptical over the last five years, they were right 60% off the time by my count and the relentlessly positive posters were only right 40% of the time.

Fascinating measurement. Can you show your work?

You don't think we are coming off a decade of groupthink?

But hey, I get savaged by groupthink any time I say the slightest good thing about Chan. I don't seem to see your intolerance of groupthink then... only when the enemies of the current coach get called on their bs.

And there are a lot of fonts that will not be happy unless we hire Monken or Johnson rises out of retirement. And they will tear down anything any other coach does. I do not think those fonts need a white knight, yet they are the only ones you white knight for.

I love back and forth conversations and I am not always positive, but the people I respond to are not interesting in a real conversation, only criticism. And it would be a blunder to give them ammunition in an effort to be balanced.

Last edited:
This is just ESD. We had a good transfer class yes, but we are certainly not a clear #4. Transfers probably get us in the discussion for 4-7 right now. NC State and FSU likely still finish above us by NSD. State has put together a nice class and FSU still has a small class right now.

State is not in the Coastal.

Agree Miami, UNC, and Tech will be the top 3 recruiters in the near future in the Coastal. Very likely in that order. Probably a gap between those two and us. Then another gap to the rest.

VPI is not dangerous until they fire Fuente. And then won’t be dangerous on the field for another 2 years minimum after that with their way he’s destroyed their recruiting.

Pitt/UVA understand building teams from the trenches. Their classes will be lower than ours but they will play tough on game days b/c their LOS will be strong.

Duke is back to being a non-factor moving forward. They peaked their head above water with the rest of the division in transition, but they can’t compete with a revitalized top 3. No coaching switch they could realistically make can change that.

I think Cutcliffe made his positive comments about our players and coaches to help reset the expectations at Duke. I think it means he is staying but probably knows he has lost a big ATL pipeline.

I think Cutcliffe made his positive comments about our players and coaches to help reset the expectations at Duke. I think it means he is staying but probably knows he has lost a big ATL pipeline.

Feel like Duke has been scraping by with under-the-radar GA kids, a handful of elite transfers that washed out elsewhere, and great QB development. The QB development has disappeared in ‘19/‘20 and the Coastal landscape has dynamically changed over that same period.

They’d be dumb to fire Cut. The odds of them finding somebody better with their resources is near zero. Literally zero that he’d be as good AND want to stay. But that’s what you get in today’s game. Cut gave them a taste they hadn’t had in half a century and the second you can’t maintain your peak the masses rise against you. Doubt we’ll lose to them in the 2020s.

Back