Recruiting 2021... Georgia Tech and the ACC

I hope they stay with Cut.

Otherwise, they will cut (swidt?) salary with a young upcoming coach and they won't win a thing. Or they hire the next Steve Spurrier and lose him soon enough. But Cut is giving them better coaching than they deserve and is willing to retire there.

As one who is comfortable sitting on the sidelines during most of the recruiting threads, I have to be honest and point out my discomfort with the tone of some of the posts - if not posters - in this thread and in similar threads over the years.

There appear to be three types of posters in these recruiting threads: relentlessly positive, relentlessly negative and generally objective.

Over the last five/six years, there has been a contingent of relentlessly positive posters. I don't take names but I'm trying to reconcile those posts over CPJ's last few years with what we now all accept as the empty cupboard CGC inherited. Then I'm trying to reconcile the obvious conclusion of that analysis with the relentlessly positive posters regarding this and last year's classes.

I don't doubt that we are doing better over the last two classes than in the previous three but I think the relentlessly positive posters need to chill on their responses to the skeptical or hesitant posters. We've all heard the positivity before. It might be accurate now and BS before but given that, a certain amount of "I'll believe it when I see it" is not the same thing as relentlessly negative.

Stop poisoning the well and address the questions that are being asked.
Dude, seriously? The 2021 and 2022 recruiting threads should be very positive. It's idiotic to put negativity in those threads. Or a commit thread. Being negative in a recruiting thread is like being negative before your own wedding or going into a new job with a glass half empty attitude. The marriage may fail and the job may suck but damn it is inappropriate to be relentlessly negative publicly before the frigging honeymoon even starts.

Those threads should be a mix of positive, cautiously optimistic, and polite realist perspectives. Anyone negative in those threads should get a timeout. If their negativity is that important in that thread they shouldn't mind the penalty.

Dude, seriously? The 2021 and 2022 recruiting threads should be very positive. It's idiotic to put negativity in those threads. Or a commit thread. Being negative in a recruiting thread is like being negative before your own wedding or going into a new job with a glass half empty attitude. The marriage may fail and the job may suck but damn it is inappropriate to be relentlessly negative publicly before the frigging honeymoon even starts.

Those threads should be a mix of positive, cautiously optimistic, and polite realist perspectives. Anyone negative in those threads should get a timeout. If their negativity is that important in that thread they shouldn't mind the penalty.

I haven't watched all the film, but the guys we got are very dominant in all sorts of ways. A lot of these guys chose us over some very good programs and coaches/recruiters, even after last year. It's not like we had a bunch of unranked guys.

Recruiting is like politics now. Everyone is on their team. Either this year's class sucks or you are busy in your mind trying to rationalize it.

Truth is the class seems a bit weaker than last years but there are some bright spots so it's not terrible, but not that exciting. The transfers are a nice addition. We need all the D lineman we can get. Also Tech has until February so maybe they will pull a rabbit out of their hat.

Recruiting is like politics now. Everyone is on their team. Either this year's class sucks or you are busy in your mind trying to rationalize it.

Truth is the class seems a bit weaker than last years but there are some bright spots so it's not terrible, but not that exciting. The transfers are a nice addition. We need all the D lineman we can get. Also Tech has until February so maybe they will pull a rabbit out of their hat.
A bit weaker than one of our best classes ever? Jesus dude I guess you're hard to impress. Yeah the transfers are a nice addition. I think if you add them into ranking the class this years actually rivals last years. You must have been real disappointed the half a decade before.

A bit weaker than one of our best classes ever? Jesus dude I guess you're hard to impress. Yeah the transfers are a nice addition. I think if you add them into ranking the class this years actually rivals last years. You must have been real disappointed the half a decade before.
I find the two classes comparable, including all transfers which improve both.

The main diff to me is LY focused on OL and star power on offense, including qb and rb, positions who touch the ball the most. This year focused on DL and star power with players who do not touch the ball so much. That is one reason casual fans see last year's as clearly better. When watching football, they keep their eyes on the ball.

Three true freshmen starters was pretty impressive. Hope we never have that again.

Hell, I hope they fire Cut and we hire him as the OC. sims would be absolute fire in two years under Cut’s development.

Hell, I hope they fire Cut and we hire him as the OC. sims would be absolute fire in two years under Cut’s development.
You never know what you get with that. Sometimes in this situation they retire on the job on you.

I am pretty sure Cut would just retire.

The Devin Cochran transfer is huge. We will finally have a LT who wasn’t playing option football and is a legitimate NFL prospect.

Devin is a program changing type player. He allows so much more development to take place at other while also being a bookend. QB, OL, DE will all be better because of him. This isn't even a hype train, this is the truth.

VPI's QB Hendon Hooker has entered the transfer portal. Major dumpster fire.

Cruised their board yesterday. They’re rationalizing their transfer portal as “we’re roughly average when looking at the entire conference transfer-out numbers.”

Nevermind that everybody else is having kids transfer to find playing time meanwhile they just watched their starting QB and two starting OL walk out the door. With rumors that it’s not over yet. That ship be sinking fast.

Cruised their board yesterday. They’re rationalizing their transfer portal as “we’re roughly average when looking at the entire conference transfer-out numbers.”

Nevermind that everybody else is having kids transfer to find playing time meanwhile they just watched their starting QB and two starting OL walk out the door. With rumors that it’s not over yet. That ship be sinking fast.
Good, we need to kick their ass next year and every year after that.

I find the two classes comparable, including all transfers which improve both.

The main diff to me is LY focused on OL and star power on offense, including qb and rb, positions who touch the ball the most. This year focused on DL and star power with players who do not touch the ball so much. That is one reason casual fans see last year's as clearly better. When watching football, they keep their eyes on the ball.

Three true freshmen starters was pretty impressive. Hope we never have that again.

This. When you have a smallish class, you have to look at recruits pound for pound instead of comparing so heavily to other programs, otherwise it's not apples to apples. This year we didn't grab a RB primarily due to depth, so you lose out on bigger star players than you would get otherwise. The biggest whiff so far in this class is the interior DL depth, but there's still time to correct that, although likely in the transfer portal at this point.

I would thumbs-up this post if I thought there was a chance in hell. I just don't see Cut working for GT or CGC.

Back