Recruiting 2021... Georgia Tech and the ACC

This. When you have a smallish class, you have to look at recruits pound for pound instead of comparing so heavily to other programs, otherwise it's not apples to apples. This year we didn't grab a RB primarily due to depth, so you lose out on bigger star players than you would get otherwise. The biggest whiff so far in this class is the interior DL depth, but there's still time to correct that, although likely in the transfer portal at this point.
I wouldn’t say DT depth is a whiff. Biggers and Scott will both come in with college DT size. That said, we did miss on higher rated recruits. I’d say we did okay at the position. We filled a need and are adding depth with upside, but didn’t hit a home run in the sense of bringing in an immediate game changer (I hope I’m wrong on this piece).

We mi
This. When you have a smallish class, you have to look at recruits pound for pound instead of comparing so heavily to other programs, otherwise it's not apples to apples. This year we didn't grab a RB primarily due to depth, so you lose out on bigger star players than you would get otherwise. The biggest whiff so far in this class is the interior DL depth, but there's still time to correct that, although likely in the transfer portal at this point.
We missed on a couple Dt recruits but Biggers and especially Scott are Good pick ups, and we actually have a decent stockpile of young depth at DT, we aren't hurting for more recruits there this round At all. That being said a stud transfer there would be a no-brainer...

I wouldn’t say DT depth is a whiff. Biggers and Scott will both come in with college DT size. That said, we did miss on higher rated recruits. I’d say we did okay at the position. We filled a need and are adding depth with upside, but didn’t hit a home run in the sense of bringing in an immediate game changer (I hope I’m wrong on this piece).

Scott is comparable to Ball and Matthews in terms of HS rating. Biggers is more of a mystery.

I had rather take our chances on transfers on the Line of Scrimmage. Better chance to get good quickly.

I had rather take our chances on transfers on the Line of Scrimmage. Better chance to get good quickly.

and then in a year or two the kids coming out of high school will see that the coaches know what they are doing and they will start coming

All the other coaching staffs lay it on thick too and there aren't many DTs so the chances of them finding some place more attractive to them at this point in time are pretty high. I am just glad we have a couple to work with.

BC sitting in the mid 30s after pulling a stud legacy OL yesterday. And already have a good start to the 2022 class too. Hafley creating some buzz around that program. They’ve pretty consistently been in the mid 60s recruiting the last decade plus.

BC sitting in the mid 30s after pulling a stud legacy OL yesterday. And already have a good start to the 2022 class too. Hafley creating some buzz around that program. They’ve pretty consistently been in the mid 60s recruiting the last decade plus.
I think Hafley is the real deal, but I also bet he’s an NFL head coach within 5 years.

Yeah, this is a bad take. I’m a noted CPJ homer and will readily say that this class is significantly better than any Johnson brought in. If you count transfers as well, that gap widens even more.

Also, I’ve got a feeling that our 2022 class will have some big splash players, and could turn out to be reminiscent of the 2007 class - especially if we win some games and continue to show improvement.
It is better than CPJs classes. But thus far I’d speculate that we are going to need better players than Paul Johnson because of the drop off in coaching skill. I hope that gets better.

we will know whether or not Collins can recruit the way he needs to by the end of 2021. If we don’t have a top 30 class next year based on star average it’s not going to work out.

Since we are going the Jimmies and joes route we better get the Jimmies and Joes

So what happens if it doesn't average out?

1608429375778.gif

Not after only 2 recruiting cycles. they won’t own anything until after 4 full years of recruiting and coaching. No more PJ players left.
The average tenure of a FBS head coach is four years. And you’re saying we can’t even begin to hold Geoff responsible for on-field results until his sixth year at Tech?

Are all of y’all this lax with your employees in the real world?

The average tenure of a FBS head coach is four years. And you’re saying we can’t even begin to hold Geoff responsible for on-field results until his sixth year at Tech?

You might be the first person to confuse a 4 for a 6 since Roman numerals were still being used.

Not after only 2 recruiting cycles. they won’t own anything until after 4 full years of recruiting and coaching. No more PJ players left.
no coaching talent left on the sidelines. tech should close the program.

this is an absolute waste of time.

georgia southern has a real football program. we have a cholesterol laden diabetic who speaks in platitudes and will be prosecuted for embezzlement from adidas.

With this type of transition, you have to wait at least 3 recruiting cycles. Transfers will help some. There has to be a significant turnover of the roster before we will see real results.

The average FBS coach doesn’t have to deal with the transition from the 3-0 to a traditional style of football. Not to mention dealing with the lack of real recruiting the two years prior to their arrival.

With this type of transition, you have to wait at least 3 recruiting cycles. Transfers will help some. There has to be a significant turnover of the roster before we will see real results.

The average FBS coach doesn’t have to deal with the transition from the 3-0 to a traditional style of football. Not to mention dealing with the lack of real recruiting the two years prior to their arrival.

Also there's the assumption that the average tenure being four years is a smart and reasonable decision. Just cause most schools do things a certain way doesn't mean they do things right.

Back