Recruiting 2021... Georgia Tech and the ACC

Your post is a mess. Yeah, in 2022 we will have a talented roster, but you have CGC under the guillotine in 2021. In September 2021 we will be green as öööö. If you had said "no excuses" in 2022 then your post might make sense.
You seem to have interpreted "3 wins no longer gets a shrug" as "under the guillotine". Perhaps we're talking past each other here. Maybe gtrower has a different opinion, but I don't think anyone would even consider putting CGC on the chopping block in 2021 unless we go winless. We just want to see improvement. We were bad this year and it was okay again because of the many reasons I won't rehash again. All I'm saying is that there aren't enough reasons for us to be bad again and everybody to just be cool with it. We can't lose 73-7 again. We can't get blown out by ööööty teams, or lose to a team that would otherwise be winless. That's all I'm saying.

YES AND WE HAVE GIVEN HIM TWO THROW AWAY SEASONS ALREADY.

IF YOU READ MY OTHER POST I POINT OUT WE SHOULD MAKE A BOWL IN 2021. THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT OUR PREVIOUS COACH LEFT A HISTORICALLY AWFUL ROSTER BY GEORGIA TECH STANDARDS.

We are not going to be 80% Fr/So. Do you know how transfers work?
Transfers aren't young, but they will have rookie problems that a guy who has been in the system for five years won't have. Particularly on the lines the best lines are kids who have played together for years. Throwing five good linemen together but that haven't played together is almost certain to underperform until they get that sense and understanding of what their neighbors are doing.

247 has our 2018 class ranked 8th. Am I missing something?

I ran the numbers based on 2020 roster. No one is getting credit for guys who aren't here. RS count as SO instead of JR as they should, etc.

Georgia Tech coaches by inherited players drafted by the NFL (using today's yardstick of 255 picks):
Paul Johnson: 8
Chan Gailey: 8
George O'Leary: 7
BL: 7
Boss Ross: 5
Bill Curry: 5
Geoff Collins: 0 (generous ceiling for this number is probably 3)
This is a good stat, actually. I could see some of the guys below getting drafted, so I think 3 is a fair number.

Jordan Domineck
Juanyeh Thomas
Zamari Walton
Tariq Carpenter
JP Mason
Tre Swilling
Pressley Harvin

All of those guys will be seniors this upcoming season. Whereas we've had no NFL-bound seniors in a while, we will have some in 2021. All the more reason to expect significant, meaningful improvement.

gtrower's argument for 2020 having the 5th best talent in the league was silly, but I don't disagree for 2021. We will have a garbage senior class (bottom 4 in the ACC), but we should have top 6 junior and sophomore classes.

Sims should be better with a full season and offseason under his belt. We are stacked at RB. Some of these younger guys need to step up at WR and TE. The OL should be better with Johnson returning, young guys maturing and beating out some of the older guys, and Cochrane.

The DL should be better. LB is a gigantic question mark, but it was awful this past year. The highly recruited 2020 guys have to step up. DB should be better.

NIU, KSU, Duke are must wins. Clemson, and UGAg are out of reach. UNC probably is to. Win 3 of BC, Pitt, UVA, VT, Miami and we're bowling. Barring catastrophic injuries the floor is 6 wins and the ceiling is probably 8.

247 has our 2018 class ranked 8th. Am I missing something?

Yes. You are missing several things. That much is blatantly obvious.

What you are specifically missing here is that class rankings don’t factor in transfers while a roster rating does include transfers.

The general trend the last 3 cycles has been lower rates guys transferring out while higher rates kids have transferred in. Credit to CGC for quickly flipping the roster to fit his schemes and upgrading talent.

We’re gonna have around 10 transfers next year (+/- 1 depending on attrition) all either starting or being major contributors. That’s why we’re not this horrifically young team that some off y’all want to make us out to be.

Last edited:
Georgia Tech coaches by inherited players drafted by the NFL (using today's yardstick of 255 picks):
Paul Johnson: 8
Chan Gailey: 8
George O'Leary: 7
BL: 7
Boss Ross: 5
Bill Curry: 5
Geoff Collins: 0 (generous ceiling for this number is probably 3)
Not sure of your point. Are those the recruiting coach or just the year of the head coach on draft day? Are you claiming those coaches develop those players to draftable? Do you make any allowance for length of tenure?

Because it looks like an attempt to obscure reality with irrelevant facts.

Transfers aren't young, but they will have rookie problems that a guy who has been in the system for five years won't have. Particularly on the lines the best lines are kids who have played together for years. Throwing five good linemen together but that haven't played together is almost certain to underperform until they get that sense and understanding of what their neighbors are doing.

Cool so you’ve accepted the reality of the roster as I’ve explained it to you and are now focusing on moving goal posts to a safer location for your knowledge base. I’m not gonna have as many problems with this tangent so have a good rest of the day.

Yeah because “no longer gets a shrug” definitely translates to “under the guillotine.” Just because you got proved wrong after calling out somebody as dumb doesn’t mean your next step is to fabricate points to fit your argument.
You sure seem to be walking back to where I am after "the free pass is over". "Bowl at a minimum". You are still stuck on some stupid like "no blowouts" or "no bad losses". Stop it. Stop. A young team IS very very likely to have lower lows but higher highs than a veteran team. "No blowouts" and "no bad losses" are standards for veteran teams.

YES we should expect improvement in 2021. I EXPECTED improvement this year and got it. Was it a lot? No. Was it some improvement? Hell yes. And most of all I saw that our recruits are real deal.

Again the standard, and the only standard, should be improvement on the field and at worst maintaining recruiting. What improvement means can't be determined in Dec 2020. Anything could happen. Sims gets hurt in Fall and what then? No bowl and we get the pitchforks? Gtfo.

Not sure of your point. Are those the recruiting coach or just the year of the head coach on draft day? Are you claiming those coaches develop those players to draftable? Do you make any allowance for length of tenure?

Because it looks like an attempt to obscure reality with irrelevant facts.

The number of guys who the coach inherited that went on to be drafted. The point is that Collins has inherited a worse roster than any of those guys. Not sure how that is irrelevant.

IF YOU READ MY OTHER POST I POINT OUT WE SHOULD MAKE A BOWL IN 2021. THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT OUR PREVIOUS COACH LEFT A HISTORICALLY AWFUL ROSTER BY GEORGIA TECH STANDARDS.

My apologies - blended your posts together with crews and assumed you were joining together with his ridiculous argument that 2021 is another throw away year. Think CGC deserves a lot of credit for moving us up that roster rank list in basically two years and to give him that credit we’d need to acknowledge where it was when he inherited it. So can’t argue with your point on that.

Cool so you’ve accepted the reality of the roster as I’ve explained it to you and are now focusing on moving goal posts to a safer location for your knowledge base. I’m not gonna have as many problems with this tangent so have a good rest of the day.
No. No no no. I'm trying to not disparage any players. This board has some serious rose colored glasses about everyone that transfers in. Coach has to try, but so far it's been mostly whiffs from my seat.

The average tenure of a FBS head coach is four years. And you’re saying we can’t even begin to hold Geoff responsible for on-field results until his sixth year at Tech?

Are all of y’all this lax with your employees in the real world?
Yes. I said that. And Todd Stansbury said that. Stansbury played football and understands football. He understands the tremendous challenge any coach faced coming in here and trying to undo the triple option system, particularly as it pertains to a roster the average recruiting ranking of which was in the bottom 10th percentile of all P5 times for the past 4 years.

That’s why he gave Collins an unprecedented amount of time to turn the program around.

Vegas had at us a 2.5 win projection this year. It will be slightly more than that next year but it will be below .500. Las Vegas just like Stansberry is grounded in reality. They are not pie in the sky dreamers that think any coach can come in here and wave a magic wand and make us a contender in the coastal in two or three years. I want to see Georgia Tech football relevant again just as bad as you do. But I live in reality.

Last edited:
You sure seem to be walking back to where I am after "the free pass is over". "Bowl at a minimum". You are still stuck on some stupid like "no blowouts" or "no bad losses". Stop it. Stop. A young team IS very very likely to have lower lows but higher highs than a veteran team. "No blowouts" and "no bad losses" are standards for veteran teams.

YES we should expect improvement in 2021. I EXPECTED improvement this year and got it. Was it a lot? No. Was it some improvement? Hell yes. And most of all I saw that our recruits are real deal.

Again the standard, and the only standard, should be improvement on the field and at worst maintaining recruiting. What improvement means can't be determined in Dec 2020. Anything could happen. Sims gets hurt in Fall and what then? No bowl and we get the pitchforks? Gtfo.
This. I wish people would stop acting like "improvement" can be plotted on a line graph. That kind of absurd oversimplification of building a program is the only way people can take the narrow, nonsensical view that next year's win total alone will be life or death for Collins. And on the scale of the individual games, things like "no bad losses" and "no blowouts" are meaningless, mindless demands disguised as logical measurements of overall improvement. In any given year, most of the teams in college football suffer at least one blowout or "bad loss" and that includes programs who are on the rise.

In 1998 we were a team on the rise, who everyone expected to be much improved over the 1997 campaign. Instead, we opened the season with a 10-point loss to a Boston College team that would go 4-7, and later we got blown out at home by Florida State, 34-7. Shouldn't have even bothered to play the season.

The roster is essentially flipped starting next year. Most anybody that’s gonna be left from CPJ’s tenure is beating out CGC players at their position groups.

Cooper (possible starter if he returns)

BJS (probably transferring)
Swilling (starter)
K Oliver (starter)
T Oliver (?)
Minihan (possible starter)
Quinney (starter)
Howard (likely transfer)
Owens (possible starter)
Carpenter (starter)
Mason (1-2 punch if he stays)
Harvin (starter if he stays)
Sanders (starter)

Chimedza (starter)
C Thomas (?)
Smith (not a starter but love his contribution)
Carter (starter)
Griffin (DT rotation)
Walton (starter)
Domineck (starter)
Juanyeh (starter)
Harris (WR rotation)
Ryans (DE rotation at the least).

That’s 23 guys by my count. Safe to assume at least 4-6 will end up leaving. So we should be about 80% CGC players day 1 of the 2021 season with the 20% holdovers all being major contributors. Free pass is gone. Doesn’t need to win the Coastal obviously, but improvement must be seen. 3 wins no longer gets a shrug. Bowl eligible is the expectation. Our roster will be the 5th most talented behind only Clemson, FSU, UNC, and Miami.

By the start of 2022 we’re probably 90-95% CGC players. Laughable to say he still gets this entire season to “see what he’s got.” Should be at least contending for the division by this point.

You also have to include at least a chunk of the 2019 class in there. At least all the players that committed and then signed before Collins was hired. As has been pointed out, even with that it May be a majority of players actually recruited by Collins but it would still be a team where the majority of players are Juniors or younger. So the roster may be majority "flipped" but if we're playing most of that part of the roster it's not a normal situation.

You also have to consider what happens this spring. On the worse side of possibilities, we might enter next year with 2 classes than haven't done a full spring practice, which further hurts things from the perspective of experience.

Other thing is that setting an expectation of contending for a division or conference for any particular year is silly unless it's something you're normally doing every year.

The other thing is that transfers that aren't young and aren't grad transfers are likely brought in primarily because their experience can help anchor the inexperience of players around them and also help transfer knowledge to the younger players. Which doesn't necessarily say much about their talent or on-field performance. May apply to the grad transfers too, but you at least wouldn't assume it.

Another thing that makes standard class/age measures hard to use for us is that we have older players that don't have the experience in system that you'd normally have for a player that's been around a while. This is super true for the offensive line outside of the transfers. Also kind of true for the defense, some of whom have played under 3 different defensive coordinators here.

Yes. I said that. And Todd Stansbury said that. Stansbury played football and understands football. He understands the tremendous challenge any coach faced coming in here and trying to undo the triple option system, particularly as it pertains to a roster the average recruiting of which was in the bottom 10th percentile of all P5 times for the past 4 years.

That’s why he gave Collins an unprecedented amount of time to turn the program around.

Vegas had at us a 2.5 win projection this year. It will be slightly more than that next year but it will be below .500. Las Vegas just like Stansberry is grounded in reality. They are not pie in the sky dreamers that think any coach can come in here and wave a magic wand and make us a contender in the coastal in two or three years. I want to see Georgia Tech football relevant again just as bad as you do. But I live in reality.
If we polled all the fan bases of all the teams, we would come up with an average winning percentage the teams should achieve of about 80%, and that they would grumblingly be "satisfied with an average of 75%. If you point out to them the average winning percentage of all teams is 50%, they would look at you blankly.

Then they would explain how they would win 100% of all the games of teams THEY think their team is better than, and "steal a coupla wins" from the rest, and that is their baseline... but they would expect improvement from that baseline.

And they have all sorts of advice for the coaches, that they are 100% certain on, but as the old adage says, if you listen to the fans in the stands, soon you'll be sitting up there.

Yes. I said that. And Todd Stansbury said that. Stansbury played football and understands football. He understands the tremendous challenge any coach faced coming in here and trying to undo the triple option system, particularly as it pertains to a roster the average recruiting ranking of which was in the bottom 10th percentile of all P5 times for the past 4 years.

The levers and buttons you guys use to judge the job he's done to date is comical. Vegas O/U. That's what we're using now. Vegas.

:lol2:

Back