Recruiting Question..

Patriot

Varsity Lurker
Have we sold ourselves short on recruiting under Chan? It just seems to me that we don't beleive that we can attract top talent so we offer average talent early in the process. I know that we signed Scott and Grant but everyone else was close to average and the two early recruits this year makes me think that Chan wants to sign somebody/anybody to not be left empty handed. Don't tell me that it's so tough to recruit at Tech and we're recruiting different kids and I'll tell you why.....1. Ross then O'Leary were both able to bring in very good talent. 2. There are alot of kids out there like Grant and Scott...if we were able to recruit these two then we could recruit others just like them. Just wondering what everyone else thinks!

what about our 2 commits makes you feel that we're short selling ourselves?

Patriot, a thought for you. Since MasterB provided the statistics about Tech losing 35 players in the last three years under O'Leary, how do we know his system was best.

Let's say you recruit a lot of four star marginal players and players that play a year or two and have to transfer because they cannot complete the grades.

On the other hand, say you recruit more qualified academic players, but they are three star and maybe lower, but will be here five years. It may turn out those lesser rated players are very good by the time they are juniors and seniors.

It is possible, this may be the best avenue for Tech. I remember hearing about Nebraska's method of recruiting unknowns and developing them over the four and five years. It seems, they just plugged in new players each year and kept on winning.

wink.gif

It is possible there is a break even point between the two methods.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Patriot, a thought for you. Since MasterB provided the statistics about Tech losing 35 players in the last three years under O'Leary, how do we know his system was best.

Let's say you recruit a lot of four star marginal players and players that play a year or two and have to transfer because they cannot complete the grades.

On the other hand, say you recruit more qualified academic players, but they are three star and maybe lower, but will be here five years. It may turn out those lesser rated players are very good by the time they are juniors and seniors.

It is possible, this may be the best avenue for Tech. I remember hearing about Nebraska's method of recruiting unknowns and developing them over the four and five years. It seems, they just plugged in new players each year and kept on winning.

wink.gif

It is possible there is a break even point between the two methods.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You've hit on a very good point. Really good post.

There are tones of great players in HS that don't turn out at this level in College. There are arguments on both sides, but the truth as I see it is many players like Keith Brooking and Kelly Camble are not recruited with mucho mega stars by the recruiting services but turn out to be great players. There are many out there as the pro ranks show. Just look across the NFL at player that shine that weren't recruited hard like Sapp for example. There are many.

I personally want to see us have a good mix of in state and out of state players, but I want us to recruit those who are a great fit for GT. Those who can grow as football players and people in the program. "Fall out" is going to always happen because no system is perfect, but finding young men who are good football players and students while being a good fit for the environment here is key as I see it. Not that we don't need to do a much better job obviously with keeping student athlets in our program. I do feel finding the right fit is very important.

Rankings are fun and exciting in recruiting, but it's not the tell all for who fits in with our football program.

Go Jackets!

To be quite honest with you, I am a high school football coach here in Ga. I handle all recruiting at the school and have delt with Coach Spencer and Coach Nix on many occations. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to recruiting these types of players if that system works.
I know that if you don't bring in exceptional talent, you better be able to coach the boys up. I'm just a liitle worried because coaches like RF can recruit average talent and win but I don't know if our current staff can do that.

We still have a lot of talent at Tech. Some of it even recruited by (gasp!) Chan Gailey. Work 'em hard, Coach 'em good, put on some muscle, add some speed, EXPECT VICTORY... that is what our players and coaches are supposed to be doing in preparation for the season. If the coaches are doing their jobs correctly and the players work harder than their opposition, all of these things will happen and we can start kicking a little butt this fall.

Originally posted by Patriot:
To be quite honest with you, I am a high school football coach here in Ga. I handle all recruiting at the school and have delt with Coach Spencer and Coach Nix on many occations. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to recruiting these types of players if that system works.
I know that if you don't bring in exceptional talent, you better be able to coach the boys up. I'm just a liitle worried because coaches like RF can recruit average talent and win but I don't know if our current staff can do that.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">cool, you're a high school coach .. so what is wrong with the 2 recruits who have committed to us for '04?

I'm really not speaking of the 2 verbals specifically because I have not seen either of these players. I am making reference to the past 2 recruiting classes and the 2 verbals as a whole (I know the Chan's first recruiting class was during a transition period). I have just seen alot (not all but alot) of the talent we have recruited and signed and those that we have passed on and not solely because of grades. Sorry for any errors but I'm trying to type while watching the Braves!

and the two early recruits this year makes me think that Chan wants to sign somebody/anybody to not be left empty handed.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well the braves game is over. i can't see what cox sees in julio franco but i'm not going to question it .. cox has forgotten more about baseball than i'll ever know.

anyway .. if i'm interpreting your above quote right .. it seems that you don't think highly of our two commits.

now you're a high school coach .. so i'm respecting your opinion. what makes you feel that we offered early to two "anybodies"? or is this your psychosis that if they've committed to tech, they can't be any good?

here is some information about the 2 recruits.

LINK: Justin Guadagni

LINK: Jacob Lonowski

please offer us with some of your insight as to why these two players are "anybodies" that we've just signed to not be left empty handed

not to turn it back around but what do you see in the 2 verbals that makes you think that they will be good college football players? I don't really know to answer your question. Like I said, I have not seen either player but I've just got a weird feeling about Chan and recruiting. Don't misinterpret, I hope that I stand corrected but I think that we are setting the bar way too low in terms of our recruiting expectations. Most of what I am basing my judgment on is last years class and I won't name individual players because I would rather encourage rather than discourage.

Patriot, I agree, at this time we don't know if the players will be coached up. I think that is probably always the case with new staffs.

It can be hard on the fans sometimes, but I see no other alternative at this time, other than to just wait and see.

It does appear we have some very good coaches on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Potential does not always equate to reality, but there is no other way than trial and error.

Even if we had new coaches, we still would not know until their trial and error period had ended.

If you look at credentials, Nix has experienced great success in his previous stints. Gailey has experienced tremendous success on the offensive side of the ball.

Tenuta has excellent credentials and Spencer was extremely effective at West Georgia College with defenses.

So, for both sides of the ball, we do have a lot of excellent coaching potential. How that plays out this year, will be a good indicator of the future of this staff.

Our weakest link last year was the quarterback play. I really believe the quarterback play will be a big strength before the year is over. I have a lot of confidence in Nix and believe he will make a big difference in coaching at this position.

wink.gif

those are all good points! I think that everyone will agree that Chan is a good person but I think that the jury is still out on the overall state of the program and like it or not Chan will be the one to reep the benefits or take the blame which ever it may be. I hope that this year will be a success and Chan will get everything moving in the right direction soon.

not to turn it back around but what do you see in the 2 verbals that makes you think that they will be good college football players? I don't really know to answer your question. Like I said, I have not seen either player but I've just got a weird feeling about Chan and recruiting. Don't misinterpret, I hope that I stand corrected but I think that we are setting the bar way too low in terms of our recruiting expectations. Most of what I am basing my judgment on is last years class and I won't name individual players because I would rather encourage rather than discourage.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i don't get your position. i guess it's in our assumptions.

i assume that the coaches look at tapes, talk to high school coaches like yourself, try and ascertain a potential recruits athletic and academic potential and then make offers to suitable recruits.

on the other hand .. you get a "weird" feeling. so you assume otherwise.

i cannot assure you that those players will be good college fb players. but i feel assured that our coaching staff think so. that's all the assurance i need and can hope for at this point.

This transition period has been a serious challenge for GT. In college ranks it's harder is some situations than others depending on circumstances. Not an excuse. I expect us to line up and win. That's always the goal.

I feel we have not just a good staff but a great staff now. That's as I see it at this time unproven. I don't think any of them feel they're proven as a hole yet, but position by position this is a great bunch. The coaches along with the players just need to go out and prove it as a team.

In past have spent some time with our coaches. Don't have it right all the time, but have learned a feel for who can recruit, teach, communicate, and inspire. Can also get a feel for them working together in practices while I look on.

Feel as good about this bunch as ever. That goes back to the Ross years.

They just have to prove to fans the vision by winning what they're trying to accomplish.

Have seen some great staffs during rough times. The future is untold. We'll have to line up and play the game. The competition along with the student athletes are what makes this game so great.

Really looking forward to GT Football 2003. Go Jackets!!

OK lets talk about recruiting.this is some information i have pulled out of the recruiting services on who GT is recruiting.

1. WR calvin johnson 6'4 200 4.5 one of the best WR in the south according to recruiting services and we are right in there with him.

2. WR peyton johnny 6'3 170 4.5 one of the best wr in the stste of FLA that along says
enough.WANTS TO MAJOR IN ENGINEERING and GT is high on his list.

3.LB Bronndon miller 6'3 220 4.5 one of the best football players in GA will camp at GT

4.LB brandon siler 6'3 215 4.45 one of the top LB in the state of FLA academics will be number one factor in choosing 4.2 GPA

5. S richard taylor 5'10 4.4 out of VA has GT high on his list wants to commit early.

6. S Skyle jackson 6'1 176 4.5 one of the top S in FLA his high school coaches speak highly of GT and he will camp there. has GT high on his list alone with FLA

7.TE brad allen 6'4 230 4.9 from FLA rumor is that GT has inside track will camp at GT.

8. TE/DE mike lucian 6'3 245 4.91 out of MD camped at GT and loved it. GT is his leader (high) 1st team all everything!!!!

9. CB lamar lewis 5'7 175 4.3 very fast player out of FLA 4.3 40 time GT leads

10. OL trent varva 6'3 310 4.9 out of michigan

11. DE calais campbell 6'8 232 4.7 out of COL said that GT has said they are going to offer.

12.DE darrell roberton 6'5 215 4.5 has said that GT indicated that they will offer soon.

13. OL fred roland 6'8 305 5.3 out of GEORGIA!!!!! has GT has one of his top two teams and has said that he will camp at tech for sure.

14.CB augustus ashley 6'0 185 4.49 player from FLA has GT number one on his list.

I personally as i veiw the recruiting services and i'm a paid member like what i have seen and heard from the so call recruiting services about GT there are many other that have GT in there top 6 but i just thought i would give you a hand full

Originally posted by tommie:
OK lets talk about recruiting.this is some information i have pulled out of the recruiting services on who GT is recruiting.

1. WR calvin johnson 6'4 200 4.5 one of the best WR in the south according to recruiting services and we are right in there with him.

2. WR peyton johnny 6'3 170 4.5 one of the best wr in the stste of FLA that along says
enough.WANTS TO MAJOR IN ENGINEERING and GT is high on his list.

3.LB Bronndon miller 6'3 220 4.5 one of the best football players in GA will camp at GT

4.LB brandon siler 6'3 215 4.45 one of the top LB in the state of FLA academics will be number one factor in choosing 4.2 GPA

5. S richard taylor 5'10 4.4 out of VA has GT high on his list wants to commit early.

6. S Skyle jackson 6'1 176 4.5 one of the top S in FLA his high school coaches speak highly of GT and he will camp there. has GT high on his list alone with FLA

7.TE brad allen 6'4 530 4.9 from FLA rumor is that GT has inside track will camp at GT.

8. TE/DE mike lucian 6'3 245 4.91 out of MD camped at GT and loved it GT is his leader (high) 1st team all everything!!!!

9. CB lamar lewis 5'7 175 4.3 very fast player out of FLA 4.3 40 time GT leads

10. OL trent varva 6'3 310 4.9 out of michigan

11. DE calais campbell 6'8 232 4.7 out of COL said that GT has said they is going to offer.

12.DE darrell roberton 6'5 215 4.5 has said that GT indicated that they will offer soon.

13. OL fred roland 6'8 305 5.3 out of GEORGIA!!!!! has GT has one of his top two teams and has said that he will camp at tech.

14.CB augustus ashley 6'0 185 4.49 player from FLA has GT number one on his list.

I personally as i veiw the recruiting services and i'm a paid member like what i have seen and heard from the so call recruiting services about GT there are many other that have GT in there top 6 but i just thought i would give you a hand full

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks tommie. That's GREAT info!! GO JACKETS!

To be quite honest with you, I am a high school football coach here in Ga.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">are there any athletes in your school that are interested in Tech and that have a mutual interest from Tech?

As someone who has followed recruiting extremely closely for about 15 years...I can tell you for certain that there is a difference academically between last years class and previous years. There were not any players labeled "academically marginal" that were taken. They were all 100+% solid.

As far as talent you mention Grant and Scott as the blue chippers. However, many other kids were Regional superstars receiving excellent offers like Auburn, Georgia, Florida, etc. (Oliver, Wheeler, Anoai, Ball, Moore, Wrotto, Robinson). I would add Carter to your nationally recruited list as he came down to us and Michigan as his final two.

If Chan's recruiting is so bad, explain why Lakeldrick Bridges, Xavier McGuire, Michael Sampson, Ace, Terron Pullen, Chris Reis, Venice Gilliam, George Cooper, Mike Matthews, Kingi Mcnair, and David Jordan have already successfully contributed and/or will get playing time in the near future? Brad Brezina and I-Perfection have lots of talent and could come up big for GT in the future.

Do you realize how dam* hard it is to bring two of the top recruits out of Florida to come to Georgia Tech? Well, my friend, Chan did it. I don't care who you are, thats extremely difficult.

So, don't go about blaming Chan and saying he brings in bad recruits with no talent whatsover out of nowhere. He has already proven what his talented recruiting classes are capable of doing.

No, I don't have any players in next year's recruiting class that are what I call top D1 material. I do have a couple of lower D1 athletes (places like Middle Tenn. State, Memphis St, UConn, etc) However, GT did come looking for one of these players in the spring and as much as I love GT I had to be honest with Coach Nix when I told him that I thought that he was a lower D1 athlete. I will have one of the best WRs in the southeast the year after. (6foot 4 inchest, 35 inch vertical, 4.58 fourty time) I don't want to go into my situation that much because GT has already located this player on their radar and I know for a fact that a couple of our current coaches get on this board and I really don't want them to think that I am on here questioning their every move. Tommie posted some good stuff, but I would like to hold that list until Feb. and see just how many of those kids sign with us.

Back