Recruiting Question..

Clito Jacket
Ball is very, very athletic but is just as raw as he is athletic. Much like Bilbo. Bilbo came from a high school program where proper technique wasn't an emphasis. DB would just dropback and sling it or run like hell (which works when you are a man amongst boys)

jlojk8 is right to a degree but not totally.

Patriot - following up on your last response to my post - I'm not 100% sure I follow you on this one.

Your correct that we certainly are not going to drop a committ if we get a better one down the road - not our style. But I doubt we told the youg man/men in question that we would not recruit another at their position. In the example, I do not see the problem with the staff persuing another FB that they feel might be better. If they land that prospect, and it turns out that the recent signee is behind the later signee, either you move this kid to LB (if the staff feels he would add to the depth at LB), or you have depth at FB.

I don't see the problem here, unless you are signing 15 kids who are FB/LB prospects.

Not sure what you meant about "not on other programs wish lists" - the youg man from Pa has been offered by 2 Big 10 schools in addition to us. As you know better than I, having 3 offers at this time of the year from BCS-eligible-conf-schools (and neither of them are Duke
wink.gif
) is nothing to sneeze at.

Perhaps your concerns are more from your personal contact with the staff - maybe you sense the 'lowering of athletic standards' (only way I can think of putting it). Of course you have much more personal insight into this than I would, since you come in contact with the staff at this level. That would be a concern to me.

RE: Ball and other qb's/athletes - as long as the young man winds up in the 2 deep somewhere, I consider that a successful recruit. As you mentioned, Ball is very athletic. We desperately need qb's, but if RB turns out to be a great SE, or cornerback, that is fine with me.

Happens all the time - look at Sean Jones at UGA. Most said he would not wind up at qb, and after his initial look there, has become a starter at safety.

Now if RB/PC wind up 3rd string WR by the time their eligibility exhausts, then to me that was not a successful move.

Back