Reggie will make a statement

Yes, but pre-internet. Thanks for calling me Dude though.

Ahh yes, now I understand the confusion.

Yeah, dude, they're still pricks even though they've got email. Even though the internet has made all other aspects of life easier, it has not reduced the shaft.

I have no doubt that the shaft still lives in full glory. Tech wouldn't be Tech without it.

However, this one is not a Tech shaft. Not in the way the typical shaft is being discussed. I am sure of it.

I was actually in the database class Reggie was referring to. I never recognized him in class, and my friends in it said they didn't recognize him being there either...we all assumed he dropped the class. His name wasn't on the group presentation list(yes, we had to present the projects, so the e-mail thing is BS), and again, unless I just didn't recognize him(doubtful), he wasn't there. The project was only 15% of the grade, and most of that came from the presentation, so it couldn't drop him from a B to a D. Attendance, however, was also 15% of the grade. Maybe he lost points on that. The teacher seems to be a recent foreigner who you can't really carry on a conversation with due to poor english skills, so I doubt he was giving Reggie any breaks because of his football status. He wouldn't even give me an A with an 89.55 in the class(there's the shaft for you).

gth816f said:
I was actually in the database class Reggie was referring to. I never recognized him in class, and my friends in it said they didn't recognize him being there either...we all assumed he dropped the class. His name wasn't on the group presentation list(yes, we had to present the projects, so the e-mail thing is BS), and again, unless I just didn't recognize him(doubtful), he wasn't there. The project was only 15% of the grade, and most of that came from the presentation, so it couldn't drop him from a B to a D. Attendance, however, was also 15% of the grade. Maybe he lost points on that. The teacher seems to be a recent foreigner who you can't really carry on a conversation with due to poor english skills, so I doubt he was giving Reggie any breaks because of his football status. He wouldn't even give me an A with an 89.55 in the class(there's the shaft for you).

Now see that is a heavy indictment.

Sounds like Reggie screwed the pooch.

beej67 said:
In CS1501, they comb 300 student's homework answers for similarities and fail anyone who's answers are too similar, assuming they cheated, without any other proof, or even mentioning it to them until after the semester is over.

I had a really long rant in response to this about the (now) rapid decline of the College of Computing, but I've decided to shorten to this: the shaft is probably alive and well in the College of Engineering, math classes, and for ARCH majors, but those days in the CoC are long, long gone. For any intro CS class, you can copy anyone's assignment verbatim as long as you said you worked on it with them. Of course, HWs aren't worth as much anymore (about 10%-15% now). Oh, and there's 3 different intro CS classes depending on your major, so yeah....

For any intro CS class, you can copy anyone's assignment verbatim as long as you said you worked on it with them.

Hrmm, since when? Just curious. They tried to kick my wife out of school for being flagged by the "cheatfinder" in 98, and didn't even give her notice. She found out by the hold on her registration.

beej67 said:
Hrmm, since when? Just curious. They tried to kick my wife out of school for being flagged by the "cheatfinder" in 98, and didn't even give her notice. She found out by the hold on her registration.
As of Fall 2002. That semester (IIRC) a huge cheating scandal involving 120 students ocurred, the result of which was 1 suspension and 119 kids getting a letter grade off.

The profs decided that since no one was doing homework to just make HWs worthless and make the tests more important. I can see why they did, but no one but the good students do the homework, and of course they're the ones that probably need to do it the least. Oh well, I'm glad I got out.

I remember the "100 people cheating" thingy. Didn't know it had actually had an effect on policy. That's actually quite refreshing.

Thanks.

Back