Reminds me of Bobby Dodd football

FAN OF BOBBY DODD

Flats Noob
No I'm not saying Gailey is the next Dodd But the game was coached very much like Dodd coached Doing only what was necessary to win off. and def. and making sure there were few mistakes reminds me of the 50tys and 60tys.

from all that i have heard regarding Bobby Dodd, i think Gailey comes very close to Dodd in almost every aspect.

But you can certainly have an intelligent debate whether Dodd or Gailey can be successful in the modern era.

What a great thursday night game. Thank you coaching staff and players and all the fans that were making noise. ESPN ran a 3 hour commercial for Georgia Tech and it was great.

Yes, it was pretty good from my chair (launch pad) here in Nashville. Corso contained himself fairly well and Herbstreit seemed almost respectful. I say they get a return invite if they keep behaving themselves.
(Tirico, you did alright, too)

Yeah but did ya hear the comment Corso made when Chan punted on 4th and 1 late in the game. "You can't win the game by coaching scared."
@$$hole!
mad.gif

Originally posted by techjacket:
Yeah but did ya hear the comment Corso made when Chan punted on 4th and 1 late in the game. "You can't win the game by coaching scared."
@$$hole!
mad.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's why Corso is in the booth and not on the sidelines!
lightningzap.gif

Originally posted by Downeastjacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by techjacket:
@$$hole!
mad.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's why Corso is in the booth and not on the sidelines!
lightningzap.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I heard that too, and other than that Corso had praised Gailey all night..People better get used to that, because that is vintage Chan Gailey, Just like Dodd and The Bear he is an ole fashioned Coach..Conservative..Very Conservative...

Not really, we had 5 penalties in the first quarter. The lay off hurt us in some regards. 3 times CG made some way too conservative calls like BD though.

DEFINETLY Chan Gailey's MO is very conservative in the same tradition as Bobby Dodd And Bear Bryant....Run the football and play great defense..EVERYONE that has known or followed him knows this..Aikman in Dallas didnt like it BUT Emmitt Smith did...

You can win a majority of your games with this philosophy..When coach gets his full 4 or 5 recruiting classes in here, the running game will be very effective...Ball is and will be the Model of our ideal QB..Smart and not making mistakes..Hitting the short passing routes very effectively...

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Downeastjacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by techjacket:
@$$hole!
mad.gif
lightningzap.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I heard that too, and other than that Corso had praised Gailey all night..People better get used to that, because that is vintage Chan Gailey, Just like Dodd and The Bear he is an ole fashioned Coach..Conservative..Very Conservative...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Corso makes a better analysist than he did as coach. But I agree with your statement about the overall praise of Chan. The entire ESPN team was very complementary to Chan and the Tech program.

Nothing wrong with conservative coaching either. I had too many years of Steve Logan's pass-happy, damn-the-defense approach to games here at ECU.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
DEFINETLY Chan Gailey's MO is very conservative in the same tradition as Bobby Dodd And Bear Bryant....Run the football and play great defense..EVERYONE that has known or followed him knows this..Aikman in Dallas didnt like it BUT Emmitt Smith did...

You can win a majority of your games with this philosophy..When coach gets his full 4 or 5 recruiting classes in here, the running game will be very effective...Ball is and will be the Model of our ideal QB..Smart and not making mistakes..Hitting the short passing routes very effectively...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes BW that 7 min. drive was a thing of beauty that ended with a punt( poor) but effective as the d. did what he expected them to do.Just as Dodd would do.

There is one glaring difference. Dodd's teams had excellent punting units. Other than the one nice kick, both punters were kicking the ball off of their ankles or shins. Their footwork is awful. I guess its like having the yips in putting.
Even more credit needs to go to the defensive unit.

Would it be legal at this point to invite the student body out for a tryout. I'm serious. There must be an old high school punter out there in the ranks. What harm could it do?

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
There is one glaring difference. Dodd's teams had excellent punting units. Other than the one nice kick, both punters were kicking the ball off of their ankles or shins. Their footwork is awful. I guess its like having the yips in putting.
Even more credit needs to go to the defensive unit.

Would it be legal at this point to invite the student body out for a tryout. I'm serious. There must be an old high school punter out there in the ranks. What harm could it do?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gailey as the other ole school coaches mentioned believes in Great special teams play as he has stated that (as all ole fashioned conservative coaches believe in) AND i believe our Special teams will improve over the next 2 or 3 years..As Gailey gets his players in here..As Wes stated " everytime our kickoff coverage teams line up it is an ADVENTURE " with so many Frosh. and true Frosh at that on the Special teams..Gailey already has recruited a top rated Kicker out of Florida incoming for next year... GT fans we will see a lot of Ball Control Offense and Great Defense and Eventually Good Special teams play as time goes on...I LOVE it..Just good ole fashioned Football...

Agreed BWatch, but I am more concerned about the punting game.Thanks to RB for getting us out of the deep hole on our 4.

Our KO coverage isn't pretty right now, but hitting those skyballs won't get us killed. We won a championship in '90 doing it.

We must be able to punt the ball consistently.

LL..I agree I was thinking last night, Our Punting scares me to death..2 walkons as punter...I believe Gailey is a perfectionist as Ross was..He will correct this over the next couple of years..I guess we cant have it all in just 2 short years...We NOW finally have a dominating Defense and i expect our punting and special teams to get better over the next few years...I am concerned over Tenuta getting an NFL job BUT im very confident Gailey will bring IN another top notch guy..There was an assistant with the Dallas Cowboys that was mentioned 2 years ago that was close to Gailey (His name fails me) but he was suppose to be outstanding and a great recruiter (He was quoted as saying it would be NO PROBLEM recruiting BIG Def.Tackles to GT when he was asked and told that we ahave always had trouble in this area) he also had coached at Clemson..I am confident that we will bring in another Outstanding Def. Coordinator though..That is what i like about Gailey so much..He is Defense 1st guy..That is his no.1 priorty....He want monkey around with who is in charge on D.....A refreshing change from our past coach....

BlackWatch, still don't buy into the very conservative tag for Chan. I think he coaches to the situation. As Trev Albert said on the half time show, when you find yourself in a defensive struggle, you play field position and get comfortable with the thought that's it's going to be a low scoring game. That means nothing stupid to give the other team life. But when we were backed up on our own 5, Gailey didn't go into a shell and run three dives and punt...he let Reggie throw the ball and we put together a drive that pretty much won the game IMO. Also as Reggie gets older, Chan's approach will change as well. Just watch.

Ncjacket...I understand that totally..But he will never be a finesse coach as a Spurrier or Friedgen...More of a Run 1st..it has always been his MO...I agree he will do what it takes for a given situation..That is the nice thing...

I agree with NCJacket. You have to remember that Chan comes from the NFL. His game management style is 100% NFL. Games in the NFL are usally close. They are typically won by being the more physical team (ie controling the line of scrimmage) and big plays (ie, make big plays and don't give up big plays). That drive from our 4 yard line was HUGE. Chan knew to punt out of our endzone last night was essentially giving them points. He wasn't scared to throw it to move us out of the goalpost shadow. If he was 100% conservative he wouldn't have chanced an INT or sack in the endzone. He plays to win using the cards dealt.

BW - now I have to take a bit of an issue with you. I don't think Fridge is a finese coach. Certainly his team last night was not finese. Nor did he really run a finese offense here - at its core it was a run first offense that counted on solid OLine play and used formations to get mismatches and defenses out of position.

No way last nights MD team was a finese team.

On the earlier note - The decision to punt on 4th and 1 was the only sane decision with your D playing the way it was and an untested FR QB for MD. Corso was flat wrong on that one. The only way MD wins the game is to give them a short field.

Gnats, I heard that too. The whole ESPN crew seemed like they were solidly behind Tech.

Father Time

Remember this internet thing goes across the country. I watched the game up here in Raleigh at my home - with a migraine I might add (if that makes me a better fan).

Headache did seem to feel a bit better after the game than before it though.

Back