Reminds me of Bobby Dodd football

Indeed last night's game was typical of the late '50's, conservative, single platoon football coached by Bobby Dodd. Scores from my freshman year, 1957, are posted below. We scored only 75 points (7.5/g.) in 10 games, our opponents scored only 71 (7.1/gm.). Last night was not ugly to me, it was beautiful, like a 1-0 pitchers' duel in baseball.

1957-Georgia Tech (SEC)

9/21 vs. *Kentucky (3-7) W 13 0
9/28 vs. Southern Methodist (4-5-1) T 0 0
10/12 @ *Louisiana State (5-5) L 13 20
10/19 vs. *Auburn (10-0) L 0 3
10/26 @ *Tulane (2-8) W 20 13
11/2 vs. Duke (6-3-2) W 13 0
11/9 @ *Tennessee (8-3) L 6 21
11/16 vs. *Alabama (2-7-1) W 10 7 @ Birmingham, AL
11/23 vs. *Florida (6-2-1) T 0 0
11/30 vs. *Georgia (3-7) L 0

No doubt last night's game looked like a Dodd game (except for the punting) and like the rest of you I enjoyed it.

My view of Chan Gailey's conservative/wide open coaching is: he will keep it just as conservative as he possibly can. If that doesn't work out then he'll start opening up some, but not any more than it takes. This man knows football and he knows how to win. Problem comes up when he and the team can't get on the same page.

Originally posted by oldgoldbee:
From the gist of these thread responses
it appears to me that the majority of you
guys did not make the game at BDS@HGF, last
night.

What's up with that?

I had some friends who drove from NC to
see the game, guess they are true fans...
...Huh?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I was there enjoying every min. of it.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
There is one glaring difference. Dodd's teams had excellent punting units. Other than the one nice kick, both punters were kicking the ball off of their ankles or shins. Their footwork is awful. I guess its like having the yips in putting.
Even more credit needs to go to the defensive unit.

Would it be legal at this point to invite the student body out for a tryout. I'm serious. There must be an old high school punter out there in the ranks. What harm could it do?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gailey as the other ole school coaches mentioned believes in Great special teams play as he has stated that (as all ole fashioned conservative coaches believe in) AND i believe our Special teams will improve over the next 2 or 3 years..As Gailey gets his players in here..As Wes stated " everytime our kickoff coverage teams line up it is an ADVENTURE " with so many Frosh. and true Frosh at that on the Special teams..Gailey already has recruited a top rated Kicker out of Florida incoming for next year... GT fans we will see a lot of Ball Control Offense and Great Defense and Eventually Good Special teams play as time goes on...I LOVE it..Just good ole fashioned Football...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's obvious that we need to get our punters to relax and let it go. Higgins seems tight on every punt and it showed! Great punting can do a lot for the coverage on STs!!

The reason I was not there is the fact you did not buy me a ticket so I could attend. My car is broke and won't run, so I could not have gotten there anyhow.

I guess I could have tried to get there in my wheelchair, but the battery would have run down before I got there.

I would have tried, but my wife is dying from cancer, and I hated to leave her at home by herself.

Although, I could not have come even then, as my son was injured in an accident and had to be rushed to the emergency room at the hospital.

This meant I had to miss my daughter's wedding. But, since my brother is being buried in the morning, I probably am better off not having attended the wedding. It is hard when I have to ride the wheelchair there, especially with the oxygen tank attached to the side of the wheelchair.

You arrogant airhead, if you want to go to the games go, but don't try to tell other people what they have to do. Who made you God that you demand that all fans have to attend the games.

I have been a fan of Tech for approximately 57 years and have attended many games and have missed very few by attendance, radio, TV, internet, etal. Do you think it makes you a better fan or person because you can attend the game. Grow up dummy.

Father Time

One thing I noticed re: punting.

Our punters cheat up a yard or two before the ball is snapped. Takes them to ~ 13 yards rather than a perferred 15. Every punt was almost blocked and i think this is the reason. By the time they punt, they way up (to the LOS) than they should be IMO. I'm worried about getting a blocked punt as much as the the shanks

Ahso, you need to get one of these to replace that wheelchair.
smile.gif

rocketchair.jpg

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
The reason I was not there is the fact you did not buy me a ticket so I could attend. My car is broke and won't run, so I could not have gotten there anyhow.

I guess I could have tried to get there in my wheelchair, but the battery would have run down before I got there.

I would have tried, but my wife is dying from cancer, and I hated to leave her at home by herself.

Although, I could not have come even then, as my son was injured in an accident and had to be rushed to the emergency room at the hospital.

This meant I had to miss my daughter's wedding. But, since my brother is being buried in the morning, I probably am better off not having attended the wedding. It is hard when I have to ride the wheelchair there, especially with the oxygen tank attached to the side of the wheelchair.

You arrogant airhead, if you want to go to the games go, but don't try to tell other people what they have to do. Who made you God that you demand that all fans have to attend the games.

I have been a fan of Tech for approximately 57 years and have attended many games and have missed very few by attendance, radio, TV, internet, etal. Do you think it makes you a better fan or person because you can attend the game. Grow up dummy.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm with you Mr. Ahsoisee. For me, I was on a well deserved vacation 350 miles away. Planned it long before the tv date was set.

BW I agree that Chan will get a good coach to replace Tenueta if he leaves as he has done at other positions afterall he knows a lot of good coaches.also it migh be that Spenser id ready.

From the gist of these thread responses
it appears to me that the majority of you
guys did not make the game at BDS@HGF, last
night.

What's up with that?

I had some friends who drove from NC to
see the game, guess they are true fans...
...Huh?

Well, personally I was on the way back from a business trip to Pittsburgh. Can't speak for anybody else. Can I assume you're just being cute, or are we going to start the old "who'se a better fan stuff?"

No sir, not trying to be cute, just
wondering where our loyal fans were
last night?

Well, by God the old Preacher is back to his
name calling! As I have stated before the
Preacher has written the book on name calling
on this board. He is Mr. Big Shot who hides
behind his monitor and spouts his big boring
tirades of how long he has been a GT fan.

Hey, Preach I could give a rat's ass how long
you have been a fan! Fifty-seven years, so what?

Too bad in that 57 years you have not taken it
upon yourself to buy some season tickets and
attend some GT games with the rest of us "real"
GT fans.

Buy hey, I understand, you get your jollies
sitting in your rocking chair, typing on a keyboard just to show off your "manhood" and how damn smart you think you are.

If I had known that you were so hard up for a
ticket, I could have given you several, since
I had four extras.

Now let's see how long before Father Time comes
back with his tirade for his rebuttal. I hope the
rest of you guys enjoy his crap and his philosphy
of being a long time fan. I consider him a part-time fan who rarely attends games, unless someone
gives him tickets and also pulls for our biggest
rival, UGAG when they are not playing us.

Have a nice day, Father Time!

-----------------------------

"OLD MAN TIME"

Oh, shut up, oldgoldbee. You started it with a whiney-butt post about game attendance. Sour posts get sour responses. At least ahso has a sense of humor.

OldGoldBee, you are right, I will respond to your immature post.

I would definitely have gone to the game if I had a ticket. Had you offered, I would have accepted. Had you been serious about your benevolence, you would have offered them to others on the board. You are just blowing smoke.

I have had season tickets in the past and have attended other games in the past. I have been very much the sports fanatic in my past, but my priorities have changed over the years.

I still attend occasionally when I can afford it, when it is convenient, and when I want to attend. No little squirt like you will tell me when to attend and when not to attend games. Rest assured, I will not check with you to see if it is okay if I attend or miss a game.

You are the one trying to act the big shot. I did not try to tell you that it was your obligation to go to the game. It was you who tried to tell me and others that we should attend the games if we are true Tech fans.

I count myself as being a truer Tech fan than you, because you have a long way to go to still be around as an avid fan as I.

I don't hide behind my monitor. My name is Rodney Kent, the number and address is in the phone book. When I have attended the games this year, I have visited as many of the tailgating sites, as possible, and have introduced myself to many on the Hive, BuzzOff, and Stingtalk.

You are a liar. You have just attributed false information about me, so you have lied, and I have proven you are a liar.

I don't give a rat's ass if you attend every game, just don't try to tell me I need to attend every game. Keep your runty little nose out of my business.

I don't have to show off my manhood, it stands on its own merit. Evidently, I am much smarter than you, judging by your very immature posts.

You little wimp, I don't need your approval of wanting UGA and the other State teams to win when not playing us or members of the ACC. It is none of your business who I pull for, and I will not get your permission before I decide which teams I want to win.

You keep your little nose in your own business and out of mine. And it makes no difference if you consider me a part time fan. It is none of your business. What you think of my activities means absolutely nothing.

Father Time

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Oh, shut up, oldgoldbee. You started it with a whiney-butt post about game attendance. Sour posts get sour responses. At least ahso has a sense of humor.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This isn't a touchy feely world Belly. Should we Censor all post that offend you?

Of course you didn't say you wanted it censored, but you did respond. Seems like the post served it purpose, much like other civil disobedience!

Back