Reminds me of Bobby Dodd football

Originally posted by oldgoldbee:
Well, by God the old Preacher is back to his
name calling! As I have stated before the
Preacher has written the book on name calling
on this board. He is Mr. Big Shot who hides
behind his monitor and spouts his big boring
tirades of how long he has been a GT fan.

Hey, Preach I could give a rat's ass how long
you have been a fan! Fifty-seven years, so what?

Too bad in that 57 years you have not taken it
upon yourself to buy some season tickets and
attend some GT games with the rest of us "real"
GT fans.

Buy hey, I understand, you get your jollies
sitting in your rocking chair, typing on a keyboard just to show off your "manhood" and how damn smart you think you are.

If I had known that you were so hard up for a
ticket, I could have given you several, since
I had four extras.

Now let's see how long before Father Time comes
back with his tirade for his rebuttal. I hope the
rest of you guys enjoy his crap and his philosphy
of being a long time fan. I consider him a part-time fan who rarely attends games, unless someone
gives him tickets and also pulls for our biggest
rival, UGAG when they are not playing us.

Have a nice day, Father Time!

-----------------------------

"OLD MAN TIME"
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Sickening....You are a very SICK person!!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me at how these topics deteriate and go in a completely different direction from their original intent.

FOBD, you are correct, I apologize for my response in your post. I will try to remember to take those kinds of responses and start my reply under another post.

Father Time

Thanks Ahso although as I remember you did not start the demize of the topic. But that said I would like more input on the approach of Chan to a game being simular to Dodd. I personally think thet Chan lets the progress of the game unfold and he adjust his team on both O and D so they will have the best chance to win not caring how it looks ala. Dodd. Examples Wake and Md.

Well, being a young pup of 37 years old (God, I love saying that...I've been feeling old lately coaching my son's Little League team), I never had the opportunity to watch a game that Bobby Dodd coached. My first memories of Tech are with Pepper coaching as I was a youngster and then Bill Curry was the coach when I got to Tech. However, I have to say that I have become a HUGE fan of Chan Gailey. And not just because he's winning (although I admit that this is a big, big part of it
smile.gif
), but because of the way he has ignored all of the negatives and just done his job.

I was a supporter of hiring Mac MacWhorter, even though he played at the wrong school growing up, because he did much the same thing. He took kids who were going through some very, very trying times with ResumeGate etc and got them to focus on beating Stanford. Now, I've had the opportunity to witness a football coach who has had the class to rise above all of the negative talk and people calling for his head and still be able to motivate his team to play lights out. I could not be more proud to be a Tech supporter.

Because of family responsibilities (ie fall Little League baseball) I can't make the early season home games, but with the new half season packages, my family and I have been able to purchase the 2nd half season package...4 tickets to the final 3 home games. I even purchased 4 extra tickets from a friend for the Maryland and UNC games and I'm using those to take teenagers from my church who would not otherwise get the chance to go to a college football game (ie children of widows, etc). Now the reason that I bring this is up is this:

I'm no better of a Tech fan this year than I was the last several. Things have just changed and the stars aligned such that, from here onward, my family will have tickets to home games. If we play some road games in a city somewhere close, we'll even try to make those as well. But, that isn't the case for everyone. Ahso, if your wife is dying with cancer, you should be ashamed of yourself if you even consider leaving her alone for a night to go to a football game. The time you have remaining with her is much more precious.

Everyone else, I join oldgold in calling for you to try and attend home games. If you can afford it (& it really isn't that expensive), then I suggest you purchase season ticket packages. If you can't do that, you CAN usually make home games. But, let's PLEASE stop the namecalling for people who did not make it the game. I've found in my coaching and in dealing with people who work for the company I own, that if you jump on people when they do wrong, they are much less likely to actually do what you want than if you encourage them positively and gently reprove them when they do things wrong.

On that (and this is my final point) note, the crowd noise at the game on Thursday was awesome. When our guys had the ball, we were quiet so they could hear the snap count, but we were loud when the Twerps had the ball. As a matter of fact, my 6-year old even picked up on the fact that you yell a little louder on 3rd down. At one point, everyone was standing, so he couldn't see over the crowd, so I had picked him up and was holding him. He leaned over and said into my ear, "Daddy...it's 3rd down. It's time for us to make noise!"

As a matter of fact, my 6-year old even picked up on the fact that you yell a little louder on 3rd down. At one point, everyone was standing, so he couldn't see over the crowd, so I had picked him up and was holding him. He leaned over and said into my ear, "Daddy...it's 3rd down. It's time for us to make noise!"

Man...I can't wait until March when my first child
is born. I see kids at tailgates and in the stands
and I envy their parents.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
As a matter of fact, my 6-year old even picked up on the fact that you yell a little louder on 3rd down. At one point, everyone was standing, so he couldn't see over the crowd, so I had picked him up and was holding him. He leaned over and said into my ear, "Daddy...it's 3rd down. It's time for us to make noise!"

Man...I can't wait until March when my first child
is born. I see kids at tailgates and in the stands
and I envy their parents.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Cracker,

As much pride as you will have when your child is born, just imagine hearing your child's name called when they receive their degree from Tech.

I have had the good fortune to have both....maybe you will too.

IBGW, I am sorry I mislead you, but the only problem my wife has is me. I placed so many reasons in my post, I thought most would know I was just joshing and pulling OldGoldBee's string.

I commend you on your sacrifice of coaching the little league kids. It will be very rewarding for you to know you have an influence on their game and their behavioral patterns. It is more important that you give of yourself to others, than it is to attend all the games.

Attendance at the games is no big problem. I was around when Tech was winning big, and it was almost impossible to get tickets to Tech games at times. As soon as our winning becomes consistant, no one will have to worry about filling the stadium. The problem will be the lack of tickets available.

Father Time

Originally posted by GTwig63:
Indeed last night's game was typical of the late '50's, conservative, single platoon football coached by Bobby Dodd. Scores from my freshman year, 1957, are posted below. We scored only 75 points (7.5/g.) in 10 games, our opponents scored only 71 (7.1/gm.). Last night was not ugly to me, it was beautiful, like a 1-0 pitchers' duel in baseball.

1957-Georgia Tech (SEC)

9/21 vs. *Kentucky (3-7) W 13 0
9/28 vs. Southern Methodist (4-5-1) T 0 0
10/12 @ *Louisiana State (5-5) L 13 20
10/19 vs. *Auburn (10-0) L 0 3
10/26 @ *Tulane (2-8) W 20 13
11/2 vs. Duke (6-3-2) W 13 0
11/9 @ *Tennessee (8-3) L 6 21
11/16 vs. *Alabama (2-7-1) W 10 7 @ Birmingham, AL
11/23 vs. *Florida (6-2-1) T 0 0
11/30 vs. *Georgia (3-7) L 0
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I like good defense as much as the next guy, but 2 0 - 0 ties in one year? I don't think I can call that beautiful no matter how many beers I've had.

Back