Returning seniors

Brooks, Owens, Johnson, maybe DeFoor; Howard and BJS may try to play elsewhere

Will the NCAA let them test the draft waters and still return. Since this has been crazy already.

But deep down, I hope we have a dozen linemen transfer in.

It would be nice if the NCAA increased the scholarship limit by perhaps 6-7 for next season. Instead of 85, allow the extra 6-7 as long as they are seniors.
Or just allow anyone that would have used up their last year of eligibility this year to not count towards the 85 next year - rather than having a finite number of exemptions.

Anyone have a sense of which seniors will or won't take advantage of the free season and come back next year?

(Correct me if wrong but my understanding was this season would not count against anyone's eligibility.)

Here are the seniors on the de facto depth chart:
Jaytlin Askew
Djimon Brooks
Jalen Camp
Tariq Carpenter
Antonneous Clayton
Kenny Cooper
David Curry
Jack DeFoor
Pressley Harvin III
Jerry Howard, Jr.
Ryan Johnson
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Antwan Owens
You have one or two on the OL I expect us to try hard to get back. Prolly not Johnson, cuz talent.

Remember the better players will not come back due to NFL chances and the smart ones will be ready to move on with their careers.

Our roster is in a weird place where we still need continuity and mature talent but we need to make room for the next wave. The good news is we won't need to rely on old guard for depth next year, like we needed holdovers the last 2 seasons. The young tigers may not be ready to start in 2021, but many of them will be able to chip in by then.

Last edited:
There are a few who are borderline as far as the NFL that could really use some more/better film for the NFL to see. The ones that could improve their stock might come back. The ones who aren't NFL material probably will not be allowed back even if they wanted.

The ones I see as having the most to gain by a good extra year are Askew, Tariq, Clayton, and Johnson. BJS may go try to play RB somewhere as a Grad transfer but we're too deep there. Jerry might can catch on as a ST player like Cottrell. The rest are what they are at this point.

It would be nice if the NCAA increased the scholarship limit by perhaps 6-7 for next season. Instead of 85, allow the extra 6-7 as long as they are seniors.
This would be difficult for our school and many others to foot the bill for this, even if allowed. The financial struggles in collegiate athletic departments are real. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Men's Basketball tournament goes as planned this year, or else we'll see some real carnage.

This would be difficult for our school and many others to foot the bill for this, even if allowed. The financial struggles in collegiate athletic departments are real. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Men's Basketball tournament goes as planned this year, or else we'll see some real carnage.
I think we are already on course to miss the NCAA tournament anyway

None of our players are going to be drafted in 2021.
The gurus who predict such don't have any GT players to go in any of the 7 rounds.
While their names are familiar to us, they aren't even known outside of our institution.
Sorry, but there are dozens of players at every position throughout college football who are better than any Yellow Jackets this season.

Im pretty sure most if not all of our scholarships are paid for via endowments

Clayton makes it sounds like he is coming back next year, but shutting it down for this year.

He already is the true leader he sounds like he wants to be. Being confident while being open about personal mental health isn’t easy to do. Doing so while feeling the pressure of coaches, teammates, and fans has got to be incredibly trying.

I care little if he plays another down for Tech. I’ll be a fan of his for life.

Wish AC the best. It is not easy. Hope he comes back. Hope he makes the pros, as he is innately talented enough. But we all have to take care of ourselves and even if he is gone I wish him the best.

Glad his time at GT so far was a positive!

I think Antonneous put too much pressure on himself and that didn't allow him to just play. Here's hoping he gets everything in order and is able to come back and ball out next year.

Back