Revised Predictions

manjano mdudu

Varsity Lurker
Ugh. Gotta prove folks wrong that would say, "_________ has to hate its new slate given that a game with Georgia Tech comes off and is in part replaced by _____________." I'd put that on the locker room wall a motivator.

ramblin_wreck08

Class of 2012
Can’t wait to see this team shock the pundits. No, I’m not saying GT will end in the top 5, but I’d be shocked if we end in the bottom 2. No game will be a given, but there are a lot of winnable games on the schedule.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Keep saying it. We’re gonna have around the 7th most talented team in the conference (including nd) and around 5th amongst our opponents. Unless the OL transfers are complete busts, we ought to be around .500. 4-6 wins.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Wake Forest's new schedule is the toughest in the league as the Demon Deacons do not get to play Boston College or Georgia Tech.
That's a good quote.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I get that a 2-6 conference season results in 13-15 rankings the next year, but NC State was 1-7 in conference last year and is ~10th on every list. They're ahead of us in every ranking except Marcello's.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
People. It is real simple. Here's how sportwriters prognosticate: Photocopy last year's results. Subtract a tiny bit for massive losses to graduation. Add a tiny bit for a good recruiting class. Add a medium amount for size of fan base. Never predict something that has not happened in recent memory, which is typically about seven seconds for the average sportswriter, who typically has an SEC or lower education. Again, never predict something that has not happened in recent memory. (Doing so is considered fishing for clicks via "hot take.")

If they are caught obviously misjudging an up and coming program, they simply say, "Well, they have not proven it to me yet!" Cuz it is very important to only include proven facts in future predictions.

VPI is a dumpster fire, but they remember VPI being good. FSU is a dumpster fire, but they remember FSU being good. NCSU is a dumpster fire, but they are a core school and have a base.

They don't remember us being good.

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
It doesn't matter how much Collins upgrades our talent. The fact of the matter is that he cannot coach, and you can't win without good coaching. I expect similar results as last year at best.

I look at what Mack Brown did at UNC, and at what Satterfield did at Louisville last year in their first year. Then I observe what Collins did at Tech and his results. This is my honest opinion.

Essobee

A Light In The Darkness
It doesn't matter how much Collins upgrades our talent. The fact of the matter is that he cannot coach, and you can't win without good coaching. I expect similar results as last year at best.

I look at what Mack Brown did at UNC, and at what Satterfield did at Louisville last year in their first year. Then I observe what Collins did at Tech and his results. This is my honest opinion.
How about Dabo? Can he coach?

aeromech

Dodd-Like

What if they were sandbagging last season? Maybe Patendude is a better OC than what he showed last season. I've been thinking for a while that having a terrible first season works in Collins favor in year's 3&4 if he slowly works the way up to mediocre.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
What if they were sandbagging last season? Maybe Patendude is a better OC than what he showed last season. I've been thinking for a while that having a terrible first season works in Collins favor in year's 3&4 if he slowly works the way up to mediocre.
after watching us get beat by 45 points twice in the last three games, including a shutout, at home, to a lackluster Va Tech team, and of course, the loss to The Citadel, there is a long way to go to mediocre. We damn near pissed away the game against an injury-ravaged NC State at home.
Hell, our best player in COFH last year was D'Andre Swift.

Our original schedule for this season was brutal. Broo-tull. UCF on a short week (by a day). Back to back trips to UNC and Va Tech. Then seven games in seven weeks, including back to back trips to Pitt and Cuse who may not be great shakes but those are two substantial trips. Then a three game closing stretch of ND, Miami and Georgia? I'd like to see a SEC team want some of that closing three game stretch. Talent ain't the issue for the Irish and the Canes. And they go to show talent alone isn't enough.
whatever schedule we get has to be easier, on face value, than what we had originally.

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
after watching us get beat by 45 points twice in the last three games, including a shutout, at home, to a lackluster Va Tech team, and of course, the loss to The Citadel, there is a long way to go to mediocre. We damn near pissed away the game against an injury-ravaged NC State at home...
and you forgot to mention the USF game looked to be pissed away too, but Tech got a lucky break on the review of the USF touchdown at the end.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******

Matt Rhule went 1-11 his first season at Baylor. Guess he couldn't coach either.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
If we stay healthy, the offensive line will be much better. We need one of the QB's to step up. We will be much less likely to lose upper classmen concerned about the NFL The defensive line will also be much better with Clayton. I believe we can win six games with the revised schedule.

GT18YJjr.

Dodd-Like
How about Dabo? Can he coach?
Nope, which is why Clemson was not consistently competing for the natty until they got Scott and Elliot(venables) there and retained them because the can pay those Gus mid tier g5 coaches salaries. Scott left for USF. I’d wager Clemson regresses if dabo loses the other two guys and doesn’t hire like for like replacements.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
We MAY be more talented than 3 teams on our schedule. 5-6 wins is a pipe dream.

The entire roster needs to be flipped.
This is not correct. In terms of recruiting rankings of scholarship players on ACC rosters (247 composite at the time of their signing) only Clemson, ND, Miami, FSU, UNC, and VT will for sure be above us. This is looking at the 2019 team talent rankings and projecting it out b/c the 2020 rankings haven’t come out yet.

BC/Cuse have vastly inferior rosters.
Duke/Pitt have inferior rosters.
NCSU/UL have similar rosters.
Miami/ND have superior rosters.
Clemson/FSU have vastly superior rosters.

We’ll probably end up 5th amongst our opponents, but State/UL won’t be too far behind.