Roof to Clemson

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
It is universally assumed he coached a better class of players at Penn State and Allbarn, and had much better offenses supporting his defenses.
If by universally, you mean the universe except this thread then yes.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
Roof just simply could not adjust to the new college football offenses. His defenses tended to be very good at stopping pro-style offenses.
Honestly all DC’s are struggling at times to adjust to the newer offenses and the rules that are so one-sided in the O’s favor, well maybe Ted has struggled more.

beej67

new around here
He is there to call defense against Fuente only.
This was my legit theory. Lot of the big factories are just buying dudes and telling them to scheme one team.

Fuente though?

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
This was my legit theory. Lot of the big factories are just buying dudes and telling them to scheme one team.

Fuente though?
Fuente seems to be the one guy who couldn’t solve the riddle of a Roof defense.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Roof is likely not making much more than $50k, I'd guess. I think Randy Shannon has a similar job at FSU and makes $45k a year.

MWT80

Varsity Lurker
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In addition to Gary Lee and a stunning performance by John Dewberry, The guy who contributed most, I thought, to that win was Ted Roof. Roof wasn't expected to play, having severely sprained his ankle. He couldn't push off on it. After Georgia continued to run inside with their big back, Lars Tate, Ted begged to play later in the game.

He finally got in. With great guts and courage, and with total disregard for his own body, he shut down Georgia's inside running game. To me, that was the difference in Tech's win, controlling the inside running game."

Kim King, Tales from the Georgia Tech sideline, Sakes Alive, '85!, describing Tech's 1985 20-16 win over UGA.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the defensive lapses Tech had under DC Ted Roof, for the above, I could never really get intensely frustrated with him.
I was at the Tennessee game in 1985. It pains me to criticize the guy.

law_bee

Dodd-Like
I think it is BS to rip Roof now. While he was coaching at GT I think it was fair to evaluate his performance the same as ANY GT coach, however once he leaves he becomes this guy

He started his final three seasons and served as team captain while leading the Ramblin' Wreck's famed "Black Watch" defense as a senior. Their success fueled Georgia Tech's run to 9–2–1 in 1985, including a win over Michigan State in the All-American Bowl. Roof was honored as member of the All-America team, was selected to the All-ACC first team, and was named the Defensive Player of the Year by the Atlanta Touchdown Club. He remains among the most prolific tacklers in program history, ranking second for most tackles in a game with 25 against Tennessee in 1985 and seventh on the all-time tackling list with 417. Roof was enshrined into Georgia Tech's Athletics Hall of Fame in 1998.