Rumors

The first time the current system has had to contend with an actual crowd (and a crowd of mouth breathing, sibling humping U[sic]GA fans at that), so I’m not surprised there were problems.

That said, I went in gate 8/9 at about 11:20 or so after the band finished on the stairs, and it was no worse than usual.

JRjr
The entire east side of the stadium was a total mess. In the past, they have had separate lines for season ticket holders, but I guess with the new tickets-on-your-phone method, there is no way to determine season ticket holders. Although, to be fair, there was really no way with the paper tickets either, but they at least had separate lines. So honesty was, I guess, the key

Maybe to you but not to me. The point is, in my opinion, for $3.2 per year (probably a lot less) we could have done so much better. It is not a low salary that makes our coach a bad coach.
Please provide a list of coaches who showed interest in the GT job in the months following Johnson's resignation.

The entire east side of the stadium was a total mess. In the past, they have had separate lines for season ticket holders, but I guess with the new tickets-on-your-phone method, there is no way to determine season ticket holders. Although, to be fair, there was really no way with the paper tickets either, but they at least had separate lines. So honesty was, I guess, the key

Weird, I’ve been sitting on the east side and going in gate 9 for like 25 years and don’t ever recall a season ticket holder line.

JRjr

Most coaches have moved on by then, so your standard is one that's rarely tested empirically. I think that makes it wholly unrealistic.
I hear ya, but most schools don’t have to start from scratch like we did. It’s one of the reasons Collins got 7 years.

I hear ya, but most schools don’t have to start from scratch like we did. It’s one of the reasons Collins got 7 years.
No, no... We didn't start from scratch. This is a bad talking point that hides the truth. We were thin on the line, but we didn't start a new football program.

This excuse works for why we don't have enough wr for 4 wide sets; it doesn't explain why we have no depth at ol even with a covid year giving us a freebie. This staff dropped the ball by not recruiting enough of them.

19* - 0 ol
20 - 6 ol
21 - 2 ol
22 - 4 ol

No, no... We didn't start from scratch. This is a bad talking point that hides the truth. We were thin on the line, but we didn't start a new football program.

This excuse works for why we don't have enough wr for 4 wide sets; it doesn't explain why we have no depth at ol even with a covid year giving us a freebie. This staff dropped the ball by not recruiting enough of them.

19* - 0 ol
20 - 6 ol
21 - 2 ol
22 - 4 ol
Ok, so you're cherry picking numbers. The 19 class was a disaster for OL, but that wasn't Collins class. Hard to show up in December and materially effect a class. He did add some decent pieces late, but no big uglies.

We went heavy OL in 2020 b/c we knew that was a significant issue. Then in 2021 we recruited 2, but took 3 transfers (Kirby, Pendley, Cochran) as a stop gap to allow for development of the 2020 guys.

The transfers are likely transferring for a reason... so hard to think they'll come in here and be all conference. We just have not had time to develop Linemen in my opinion. I know that's not a popular opinion with the state of everything. I still believe the offense will continue to improve as the recruited OL develop and mature. An upper classmen OL that includes Williams, Vaipulu, Franklin, Green, and whatever other guys emerge should be really good.

Weird, I’ve been sitting on the east side and going in gate 9 for like 25 years and don’t ever recall a season ticket holder line.

JRjr
Pretty sure there was one for the gate on North Ave. I may be wrong, but I do know there was one "special" line for something.

Ok, so you're cherry picking numbers. The 19 class was a disaster for OL, but that wasn't Collins class. Hard to show up in December and materially effect a class. He did add some decent pieces late, but no big uglies.

We went heavy OL in 2020 b/c we knew that was a significant issue. Then in 2021 we recruited 2, but took 3 transfers (Kirby, Pendley, Cochran) as a stop gap to allow for development of the 2020 guys.

The transfers are likely transferring for a reason... so hard to think they'll come in here and be all conference. We just have not had time to develop Linemen in my opinion. I know that's not a popular opinion with the state of everything. I still believe the offense will continue to improve as the recruited OL develop and mature. An upper classmen OL that includes Williams, Vaipulu, Franklin, Green, and whatever other guys emerge should be really good.

I put an asteroid on 19, but it's still his class. He managed to get us te in that class.

I wasn't trying to cherry pick numbers; I took the aggregates from 247 which was supposed to include xfers.

Sure, I'm not expecting Xfers to be world beaters, but if they're unable to beat out a walk on from the prior regime's coach floppy fish who is struggling in part because he keeps changing positions on the line that is a massive issue. Same with the newer recruits. I don't mean that as an indictment of the players but of the coaches. Something is rotten.

19* - 0 ol
20 - 6 ol
21 - 2 ol
22 - 4 ol

'Starting from scratch' is such a lazy narrative. The defense should be mostly independent from the offensive scheme (the old Nebraska teams had good defenses with an option offense) and rebuilding the offense meant being slightly more thin at some positions than the typical team undergoing a rebuild. Were we really ever more depleted than the Syracuse, BC, Northern Illinois, and Citadel teams that have been blowing our doors off for three years? College teams undergo rebuilds and system changes constantly, and they don't take a decade to come to fruition, because half of your opponents are going through their own rebuilds while you're doing yours.

I found this from the AJC:

That's $23.1 million total.

I think 2018 was the last extension CPJ had which made the contract through 2022. 5 years, at about $3 million, that's a $15 million contract.

Before that, he had a 6 year contract after 2014, so let's just say approximately $18 million total.

I think we overcommitted to Collins considering he didn't even have any proven success at Tech unlike CPJ after 2014. Many criticized this at the time. I think it was a fair cliticization. Obviously, Collins negotiated well, it is what it is...
Collins negotiated? my guess is he had someone that could put a few sentences together that made sense - and they negotiated for him. If his negotiation skills are anything like his pressers - he would have been paying GT for the privilege to be the HC at the Institute.

Could be - I’ve never gone in the gate at the corner, just the one halfway down Techwood. Welcome fellow east-sider! (We can recognize each other by the permanent squint and sunburn.)

JRjr
I am in the upper east (225), and at my age (LOL), it's easier to go up the ramp at the North Ave gate than climb those stairs at the other end. I definitely relate to the squint and sunburn.

I am in the upper east (225), and at my age (LOL), it's easier to go up the ramp at the North Ave gate than climb those stairs at the other end. I definitely relate to the squint and sunburn.

I sat in upper east last year for Covid. Always heard from friends that the seats toward the front are great, but we were about halfway back and I didn’t love it. And yeah, a lot of stairs.

We moved back to lower east (toward the back under the overhang) this year. I like those seats a lot, but most of the season ticket holders around me have left.

JRjr

I sat in upper east last year for Covid. Always heard from friends that the seats toward the front are great, but we were about halfway back and I didn’t love it. And yeah, a lot of stairs.

We moved back to lower east (toward the back under the overhang) this year. I like those seats a lot, but most of the season ticket holders around me have left.

JRjr
Hardly any at all left in the upper now too. The upper (as well as all over the stadium) took a big hit the year DRad started the ticket fee, and it's gone steadily downhill ever since.

His mistake. I would have scoured everywhere for 5 OL. JC, transfers, HS, poached programs that fired coaches, brought some from Temple, or anywhere else.

'Starting from scratch' is such a lazy narrative. The defense should be mostly independent from the offensive scheme (the old Nebraska teams had good defenses with an option offense) and rebuilding the offense meant being slightly more thin at some positions than the typical team undergoing a rebuild. Were we really ever more depleted than the Syracuse, BC, Northern Illinois, and Citadel teams that have been blowing our doors off for three years? College teams undergo rebuilds and system changes constantly, and they don't take a decade to come to fruition, because half of your opponents are going through their own rebuilds while you're doing yours.
To be clear, we were effectively starting from scratch on the oline because of the poor recruiting year in ‘19 and different types of athletes needed for the new scheme.

Other units weren’t a “from scratch” start, nor do they take as long to develop. Which is yet another indictment against the coaches.

Back