Running backs

I would think if you look at the average starting field position, even including Gibbs great return, we would be better off on the 25.
Yep. And it eliminates turnovers and injuries. What we are doing is just dumb, poor coaching.

I don't think Mason is very active on social media but I think some of the kids have tipped their hands in recent weeks on Instagram and such... something to keep an eye on maybe.
Basically he is on the program. Taking weeks off to get bigger, stronger, faster. Robo Mason will be unveiled Saturday as an unstoppable Force. TDET. Clemson will beg for a mercy ruling as we rain down TD's
One final coup de grace will be Mason kicking a 63 yard FG with a few seconds on the clock in our runaway victory.

Basically he is on the program. Taking weeks off to get bigger, stronger, faster. Robo Mason will be unveiled Saturday as an unstoppable Force. TDET. Clemson will beg for a mercy ruling as we rain down TD's
One final coup de grace will be Mason kicking a 63 yard FG with a few seconds on the clock in our runaway victory.

Downloading gameplan now

tumblr_oxig4yLH5U1qfvtsro5_500.gif

And about Gibbs returning kicks: He has returned 5 kicks so far. 3 have been shy of the 25 (18,19, and 21 yard line) and 2 have gone past. One to the 33 and the 75 yarder to the opposing 21. The one to the 33 we had a 15 yard block below the waist penalty called, so you may just be remembering the bad starting field position. That isn't on him. If he produces anywhere near this rate, you absolutely let him run it if 1/5 goes for long and 2/5 go past the 30, especially when you are only giving up 5-7yd starting field position on the other 3. All of the balls he returned were caught outside of the endzone. He has not run one out of the endzone yet. Juanyeh started the season with 2 terrible returns against FSU. One to the 10 and one to the 16. Those tend to stick out in the back of your mind too and folks may just be misremembering. Other than those 2, our return game has been OK. If Gibbs gives you that extra spark, that's why he is back there. He was electric returning kicks and punts in HS and that is why they put him there, and we all saw why too.

Please elaborate

In past weeks we've seen players (who had previously been out due to injury/covid) share pictures of their locker with their jersey hanging in it and a caption that suggest they are playing that day. Its subjective, but if you want to know before toe meets leather, keep an eye on it. As I said, I don't think Mason is very big on social medial though.

And about Gibbs returning kicks: He has returned 5 kicks so far. 3 have been shy of the 25 (18,19, and 21 yard line) and 2 have gone past. One to the 33 and the 75 yarder to the opposing 21. The one to the 33 we had a 15 yard block below the waist penalty called, so you may just be remembering the bad starting field position. That isn't on him. If he produces anywhere near this rate, you absolutely let him run it if 1/5 goes for long and 2/5 go past the 30, especially when you are only giving up 5-7yd starting field position on the other 3. All of the balls he returned were caught outside of the endzone. He has not run one out of the endzone yet. Juanyeh started the season with 2 terrible returns against FSU. One to the 10 and one to the 16. Those tend to stick out in the back of your mind too and folks may just be misremembering. Other than those 2, our return game has been OK. If Gibbs gives you that extra spark, that's why he is back there. He was electric returning kicks and punts in HS and that is why they put him there, and we all saw why too.
Shouldn’t you just average kick return yardage and go for it if it’s more than 25?

Shouldn’t you just average kick return yardage and go for it if it’s more than 25?

Not necessarily. Say you have 101 returns, and all but one get to the 23 yard line. The remaining return goes for a touchdown. So, if you take the 25 yard line as zero, you've netted negative 125 yards. But, I would argue that even just one touchdown is clearly worth losing 2 yards on your starting field position for the rest of your possessions.

Obviously, this is an extreme example, but if you have a bunch of returns going to the 19-23 yard line, and a few gaining an extra 20+ yards, even if the overall average is short of the 25, it's still worth the risk.

Not necessarily. Say you have 101 returns, and all but one get to the 23 yard line. The remaining return goes for a touchdown. So, if you take the 25 yard line as zero, you've netted negative 125 yards. But, I would argue that even just one touchdown is clearly worth losing 2 yards on your starting field position for the rest of your possessions.

Obviously, this is an extreme example, but if you have a bunch of returns going to the 19-23 yard line, and a few gaining an extra 20+ yards, even if the overall average is short of the 25, it's still worth the risk.
I see your point but it also may be very debatable.

If you have Dieon Sanders back there, you return every kick, even the ones in the endzone. Just depends on your returner. If you have a consistent returner that doesn't have blazing speed, take the touchback. If you have a player that is a move away from taking every kick to the house, you return

Mason is recovering from being bit by a radioactive spider.

I agree but you also have to factor in that every kickoff return has the risk of a fumble.

Back