Saban Rejects NIL Request

LongforDodd

Dodd-Like
He threw that out casually, as like a come to Bama recruiting pitch. That was at the onset of NIL, before players were saying pay me or I’m transferring. This things gets worse every year.
So Bryce Young doesn’t have 1mil Deal?

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
On one of the Sunday morning shows they were interviewing Kevin McCarthy and one of the questions was national legislation to level the playing field for college athletics. He cited the example that current conferences have to deal with state laws that set inconsistent requirements for teams competing with each other and that something would probably have to be done. This ought to be good.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I think what he dislikes is players now feel (with some justification) that they can negotiate or even name their price, where before in that system I'm sure whatever offer Saban made was final.
And the demands are growing. $11m for a player at Florida? Guaranteed law school admission for a girlfriend?

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And the demands are growing. $11m for a player at Florida? Guaranteed law school admission for a girlfriend?
I’ll give the kid credit for being chivalrous about his girlfriend’s law school admission. Although it could be self serving. Having a lawyer for a wife will come in handy when he is in the NFL.

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
This is what happens when the kids are in charge. However, this can only happen when the adults in the room decide to act like kids. They decided long ago to bleed the goose dry, and the kids now want part of the action. It all makes perfect sense. It is just quite sad now that we are here.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Saban is a POS bitch. He's only complaining about NIL because Bama's boosters won't have the deep pockets of UGA, Texas, USC, Texas A&M, Oregon and some others, and that the guys he does land can leave him at any time and tell me to öööö off. He's just mad that he's lost total control. Total ööööing crocodile tears. Piss on the asshole.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Saban is a POS bitch. He's only complaining about NIL because Bama's boosters won't have the deep pockets of UGA, Texas, USC, Texas A&M, Oregon and some others, and that the guys he does land can leave him at any time and tell me to öööö off. He's just mad that he's lost total control. Total ööööing crocodile tears. Piss on the asshole.
Yup, factory schools used to pay players under the table.

With a relatively more public market for payments, the prices are going up, and his budget doesn't go as far...

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I’ll give the kid credit for being chivalrous about his girlfriend’s law school admission. Although it could be self serving. Having a lawyer for a wife will come in handy when he is in the NFL.
She gets in, they break up, then he demands she’s kicked out?

A lawyer could be handy, but one who couldn’t get in to Alabama on her own isn’t the one you want.

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
They are cowering in fear that any new move they make will result in a lawsuit that strips away whatever power they have left.
I tend to agree but hope that it is not the reality. I don't have a lot of hope in that hope, though.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
So Bryce Young doesn’t have 1mil Deal?
From what I understand, that is what Dr Pepper agreed to pay him before he ever stepped foot on Bama's campus. In fairness to that deal though, I know he has appeared in at least 1 Dr Pepper commercial. Not really any different than Nike endorsing/paying Tiger Woods before ever won a single professional event.

At the time, people complained Nike was overpaying but Phil Knight has said many times that the money they paid Jordan and Tiger was some of the best, and most lucrative, financial investments Nike ever made.

If Bryce has the kind of pro career many believe he will, Dr Pepper will likely claim that this is likewise possibly the best $1 million they've spent in quite some time.

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I understand, that is what Dr Pepper agreed to pay him before he ever stepped foot on Bama's campus. In fairness to that deal though, I know he has appeared in at least 1 Dr Pepper commercial. Not really any different than Nike endorsing/paying Tiger Woods before ever won a single professional event.

At the time, people complained Nike was overpaying but Phil Knight has said many times that the money they paid Jordan and Tiger was some of the best, and most lucrative, financial investments Nike ever made.

If Bryce has the kind of pro career many believe he will, Dr Pepper will likely claim that this is likewise possibly the best $1 million they've spent in quite some time.
Yes but their soft drink will still taste like some kind of stale cherry Coke.

gambler

Went all in with 80k
She gets in, they break up, then he demands she’s kicked out?

A lawyer could be handy, but one who couldn’t get in to Alabama on her own isn’t the one you want.
Any idiot dumb enough to wife up a lawyer deserves what's coming to him.

ThatGuy

Varsity Lurker
Isn't NIL supposed to be coming from businesses? What this, "I am not giving them any NIL" stuff? It is remuneration from the use of their name, image, or likeness. This has got to be cleaned up. Maybe, since the whole thing was opened up by the US Supreme Court, the NCAA is waiting for the next lawsuit to clarify it all. Or maybe they are collecting data to bring the next lawsuit. Who knows... it's an utter joke now. "College" football is officially dead.
Interesting article on what the NCAA is doing currently on the matter. Seems they're starting to look more into it, and now having a mindset (supported by a rule change) of "we don't need a smoking gun - it's up to the schools to prove they're not involved" approach.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Yup, factory schools used to pay players under the table.

With a relatively more public market for payments, the prices are going up, and his budget doesn't go as far...
This is exactly what is happening. I’ve been saying from the beginning that NIL is a very good thing for college football because it brought what was done in the shadows into sunlight for all to see. So, now the playing field can actually be made level by either all schools deciding to pay without worry for sanctions from the NCAA or an entity with real power decides to get involved, ie. state legislators, congress, or the schools form another entity like what the NCAA was suppose to be to monitor NIL rules. But it’s gonna take the big boys of the sport to do it which is gonna happen now that they are being effected.

The days of watching a rigged sport will soon be over. Now, it will be up to each school regarding who wants to pay up and who doesn’t. At least now honesty is back. We’ll no longer have to hear an announcer or pundit applaud a Bear Bryant or Vince Dooley for being honorable great coaches. Now, they can say the truth- Coach Bryant won another Natty by paying 3 million more than Dooley. I’ll take the truth over the fakeness of the past 60 years of the sport.

AlabamaBuzz

Dodd-Like
UA has more than enough rich alums (who live & breathe football) to compete in NIL right at the top. Also, their sidewalk fans are willing to sell their mobile homes to help with NIL.

I believe, as many do, there will have to be some rules and regulations applied to this wild, wild west NIL or it will hurt college football in the long run. There were like 40 something five star recruits this year, and UA and ugag got like 15 of them.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb

"Not really any different than Nike endorsing/paying Tiger Woods before ever won a single professional event."

Was Nike paying him while he competed for Stanford's golf team? No? Then . . . DIFFERENT,